Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2010 4:52:04 PM EDT
hi, do any of you guys know of any gunsmith books specifically dealing with lightening the pull of an ar15 trigger. ( looking for mainly hand work with no springs and such) would like a pull of 2.5 -3 lbs. also not looking to purchase a 200 dollar trigger set up.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The American Gunsmithing Institute has a video that shows Bob Dunlap doing a conversion of a standard unit to a double stage, lighter trigger pull.

While the actual conversion is excellent and gives a light, smooth double stage pull, Dunlop's job is a little rougher done than I'd do.  He leaves some surfaces rather rough, but that has no effect on the actual pull.
The video is explicit, and covers everything clearly.
A big advantage of the Dunlop conversion is that you can get a very light pull with no danger of doubling or failures to cock.

The other way to go is to buy a trigger unit stoning jig setup from Brownell's.
Getting a really light pull on an AR trigger is something that's just not really do-able by hand, you need a jig to maintain exacting angles and surfaces.

Best options:  
Buy a less expensive drop-in trigger unit.
Buy the AGI video and do the Dunlop conversion.
Blow the bucks for a trigger jig, use it, then sell the jig.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I might have one reference with a little write up.  I'll check tonight.

I have some surgical grade stones I used on the last AR I assembled.  I did not get aggressive, I just cleaned up the worst of the surfaces.  I have no idea what the pull is, but it's a hell of lot smoother than most stock triggers.

I always figured I would really dig into a stock trigger one day and polish the living crap out of it then reharden the sear surfaces in Kasenit.  All of these parts don't cost much, so it won't cost much to experiment.

I got my stones from a man at Friendship, Indiana during one of the NMLRA shoots.  Brownell's sells similar stones.  Go slow, keep everything square, and assemble the parts a few times as you go to see if there's much progress.  Magnification and a good light will help, don't scrimp on the light.

Here's a little trick that has been around a while that helps, too:
Go to http://www.artactical.com/  , to the Gear for Sale forum, then to AR-15 Drop-In Trigger Adjuster $20 Shipped .  The web site belongs to a friend of mine, DOC is one of his customers.

tried to enter artacticle and it says login or join below? down below, there is nothing to click on! no link! is the site down? any help?
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 1:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Wanted me to log in too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 6:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wanted me to log in too.

yeah, i tried to read the info and soon as i did it asked me to log in or join. like i said, no place to join. would really appreciate any help you can give me. seems to me i saw this screw in an ad somewhere. might have been in brownells or some other parts catalog. anyhow, if you can send me a link of where to get it, my thanks!!  get back to me soon.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 7:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll see if I can track something down tomorrow.  I haven't heard back from the seller.

Registering for the site won't kill you.  I promise the owner won't bite!

thats just it! i would like to but i can`t find the link to join. when i click on "login/join" it wants my username or email and password. when i tried to actually put them in it keeps kicking me out.
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:10:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/21/2010 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'll call the owner later.

Contact for the screws; I received a message back this morning:

[email protected]

His price $20 per screw shipped if paid by money order or check, $21 if paid by Gunpal.

thanks a bunch!! still want to try to join the forum though. sent the moderator or whoever is the contact link, that i`m having trouble joining. i`ll wait and see if i get any info back on how or what i`m missing. again, thank you!  (after reading the home page, i think their site is being worked on now. probably why i can`t join)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#11]

I found a way into that site just playing with HTML

http://artactical.com/eve/register

That should begin the process for you guys.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I found a way into that site just playing with HTML

http://artactical.com/eve/register

That should begin the process for you guys.

just tried it. after registration process you get told their not accepting reg`s at this time. thanks though. i emailed them about this, maybe i`ll hear from them.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 1:11:43 PM EDT
[#13]
dont know how it works as i havent done it, but i'm going to do so soon....

http://www.sargenthome.com/15_Minute_AR_Trigger_Job.htm
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
who is in charge of artactical.com? i would like to know how to get in touch with them to join it. as stated earlier in a post they have registrations shut down. i sent two emails( contact link ) and none of them have been answered. what is this, an exclusive club or something!  never heard of such a thing as shutting down reg`s except for site management or something like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top