Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/3/2018 10:26:26 PM EDT
Current Configuration (as of 2019MAR01)..:

For details of all Mods and accessories that my micro RONI has undergone since it’s acquisition, please continue to read....

———————————————————————————————-

I ordered my Micro RONI STAB [G19] from YRS, Inc last month. It only took 12 days to deliver from Israel.  Along with the MR chassis I also ordered a few factory items including a factory folding stock for to convert to a stabilizing brace using a GHW Tail Hook Mod1. The modification was simple and easy to do and it makes a huge difference, especially in the aesthetics department. Of course, my opinion is extremely subjective. After all, Beauty is in the Eye of the beer holder.

The thumb/hand stops that are offered by CAA work very well to keep the hand behind the factory muzzle concussion devise but I felt a bottom mounted hand stop would enhance safety operation of the Roni. The problem is that the micro roni chassis doesn't have a bottom rail. I solved this by making a full length HS that attaches to the  bottom of the hand guard with a small strip of 3M double side tape and two small (6 x 1/2") screws that secure the HG from the base of the chassis trigger guard covers.

CAA doesn't offer a cheek riser, so I made one. It easily mounts onto the brace arm with a twist-motion. It deploys easily from the down/up position and elevates the LOS to about 1/2".  More on it's design a little later.

Choosing a red-dot optic was not an easy task. There are So many outstanding, well proven dots out there but I finally decided on the Sig Romeo5. It's an amazing optic a  with exceptional battery life and it's offered at a fantastic price. The BUIS are UTG flip-ups. Great sights, extremely well made and very inexpensive.  I have a few more items on the way that should deliver in the next 10 days. Afterwards,  it'll be time to purchase the Piece for the range trip.

Here's a few photos of the current configuration..:

I've decided to modify the Chassis by taking off the slide release button. This mod will give full access to the Glock's slide release and eliminate any possible issues already reported by Roni users. The new Gen4 micro roni comes without the button.  Here's what my Roni will look without the button.

Moar to come.....
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang, I like it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 5:24:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:34:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
... I think your fine exchanging one approved brace for another approved brace.  I'm thinking the cheek riser is problematic as someone might interpret it as intent to make a shoulder stock.
View Quote
Hello, shotar and Thank You for your input. Here's my take on the cheek riser.

The cheek riser's sole purpose is to give operators the option to elevate their LOS. It's not illegal to rest your cheek on a pistol brace. Resting your cheek on the brace creates another point of pistol stabilization, which should aid and/or enhance accuracy. Resting your cheek on a pistol brace does not convert said pistol brace to a stock.

The ATF has ruled that it's not illegal to shoulder a pistol brace.

This is my interpretation. I like beer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:39:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I hate to be a party pooper but.  I think your fine exchanging one approved brace for another approved brace. I'm thinking the cheek riser is problematic as someone might interpret it as intent to make a shoulder stock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I hate to be a party pooper but.  I think your fine exchanging one approved brace for another approved brace. I'm thinking the cheek riser is problematic as someone might interpret it as intent to make a shoulder stock.
Agreed. AFAIK any kind of modification to a brace to make it more comfortable/easier/better to use as a stock runs afoul of the ATF ruling that makes it legal to should a brace.

If, however, the shooter/possessor takes affirmative steps to configure the device for use as a shoulder-stock...and then in fact shoots the firearm from the shoulder using the accessory as a shoulder stock, that person has objectively “redesigned” the firearm for the purposes of the NFA.
Since the only legitimate use of the cheek riser is to facilitate better ergonomics when shouldering the brace I'd say you're poking the hornet's nest.

As you said, CAA doesn't offer a cheek riser for the brace, there's probably a reason for that.

Quoted:

Hello, shotar and Thank You for your input. Here's my take on the cheek riser.

The cheek riser's sole purpose is to give operators the option to elevate their LOS. It's not illegal to rest your cheek on a pistol brace. Resting your cheek on the brace creates another point of pistol stabilization, which should aid and/or enhance accuracy. Resting your cheek on a pistol brace does not convert said pistol brace to a stock.

The ATF has ruled that it's not illegal to shoulder a pistol brace.

This is my interpretation. I like beer.
No, it's not illegal to rest your cheek on the brace.

It IS illegal to modify the brace to make it "more" of a shoulder stock. It's illegal to shoulder a brace if you've removed the strap (if it has one), I can't imagine the ATF would look kindly of adding things to facilitate using it when shouldered, especially when those things don't also have any reasonable use when using it as a brace.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheek Rests designed, manufactured, marketed and sold specifically for use with pistol buffer tubes have been available for many, many years.   The subject cheek rests do not convert a pistol buffer tube into a stock.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#6]
The 24 dollar question is what kind of accuracy do you get with it?

Red
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The 24 dollar question is what kind of accuracy do you get with it?

Red
View Quote
I'll find out soon. I suspect the RONI will enhance CQB accuracy but I'm certainly not expecting 1 MOA groups at 100 yards. :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Cheek Rests designed, manufactured, marketed and sold specifically for use with pistol buffer tubes have been available for many, many years.   The subject cheek rests do not convert a pistol buffer tube into a stock.
View Quote
That's nice but you're not adding a cheek riser to a buffer tube, you're modifying a brace which the ATF clearly says is a no-no.

You're obviously convinced you're right though so there's no point discussing it. Good luck if you ever have to prove it to the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's nice but you're not adding a cheek riser to a buffer tube, you're modifying a brace which the ATF clearly says is a no-no.

You're obviously convinced you're right though so there's no point discussing it. Good luck if you ever have to prove it to the ATF.
View Quote
I’m not tryiing to be difficult nor do I want to come across as being argumentative or displaying a cavalier attitude. I’m just not convinced that the riser will modify and/or redesign the intended use of the brace.

Hypothetically, would wrapping a piece of foam (for to use as a cheek rest/riser) on the extended arm of the brace constitute a redesign of the brace, which would categorize it a Stock ..?  Is this your interpretation?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm disappointed that a thread on "Roni Mods" didn't include opening up the front.

It's absolutely stupid that they did not make this gizmo suppressor compatible.

Quoted:

It's illegal to shoulder a brace if you've removed the strap (if it has one)...
View Quote
Is that true, or did you make it up?
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm disappointed that a thread on "Roni Mods" didn't include opening up the front.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's illegal to shoulder a brace if you've removed the strap (if it has one)...
The Roni can easily be modified to accommodate a Suppressor. I have no intentions of suppressing the Piece, therefore, no modification was made.

AzAgLover is correct. Removing the strap on a pistol brace that was designed with a strap, is a big no-no.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#13]
A few more items were delivered yesterday and the Slide Release Button was removed. Removal and smoothing took about 30 minutes.

Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:02:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I like it OP. Looks fantastic!  Lets see it with the G19 inserted.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 11:17:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like it OP. Looks fantastic!  Lets see it with the G19 inserted.
View Quote
I'd like to see the it with the G19 inserted too, but I haven't purchased the G19, yet. :)  I know, I know. Who The Hell doesn't own a Glock 19 !?!.

Going to a few shops today. Undecided if I should go with a Gen3 or 4. Leaning toward the Gen3.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s the consensus here and everywhere else I’ve ever seen.  
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Any news?  A G45 would be perfect for this.  ;)
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:41:42 AM EDT
[#18]
RGR, got it.

Just made up nonsense by the same guys who were shouting "CHEEK THE BRACE!" down the firing line a couple years ago.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Wow. So atf tried to pinch the guy for resting his cheek in the arm of the brace and also for having a angle grip on the pistol??
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 12:01:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wow. So atf tried to pinch the guy for resting his cheek in the arm of the brace and also for having a angle grip on the pistol??
View Quote
he modified the brace.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

he modified the brace.
View Quote
No.

He didn't modify the brace. Read it again.

The brace itself was a modification.

The government position was, "tell me his weapon is either a rifle with a short barrel or tell me his weapon is a pistol with a foregrip... then convict on either."

Anyone can remove the strap from their brace if they want (not sure why they would want), and plenty of braces don't come with any velcro.

Internet people tell this lie all the time. They also used to lie about braces that fold. Many, too, lied about braces that slide.

It's the exact same group of fools that "would definitely spend $200 on a CLASS-3-LICENSE if it didn't give the ATF the special right to inspect your home without a warrant at any time..."

Keep telling each other lies. I'll keep blazing.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Umm..recent thread about a guy getting prosecuted for that type of enhancement says different.
But go right ahead. Put up your check book to prove the Govt wrong.
IMO.. make no changes to braces and only use braces with approval letters and on specified firearms as listed from the manufacturer.
They are looking for people pushing the envelope further into the grey areas..

Potentially loosing your firearms rights for the rest of your life and the $100k price tag is a hell of a way to poke the Bear !
Carry on.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:11:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

No.

He didn't modify the brace. Read it again.

The brace itself was a modification.

The government position was, "tell me his weapon is either a rifle with a short barrel or tell me his weapon is a pistol with a foregrip... then convict on either."

Anyone can remove the strap from their brace if they want (not sure why they would want), and plenty of braces don't come with any velcro.

Internet people tell this lie all the time. They also used to lie about braces that fold. Many, too, lied about braces that slide.

It's the exact same group of fools that "would definitely spend $200 on a CLASS-3-LICENSE if it didn't give the ATF the special right to inspect your home without a warrant at any time..."

Keep telling each other lies. I'll keep blazing.
View Quote
My understanding of it was the addition of the rubber pad at the end of the brace that caused the problem.....aka he modified the brace.  Regardless, it was a stupid prosecution and I'm glad he was acquitted.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

My understanding of it was the addition of the rubber pad at the end of the brace that caused the problem.....
View Quote
Can you post a source for where you got that?

I try to keep track of the liars... and the same ones keep popping up.

It's almost like they're trying to promote a climate of fear... scaring people into not exercising their rights...

Curious... QUITE CURIOUS, INDEED!

"...the primary issue in dispute at trial will be whether or not Kelland Wright’s firearm meets the definition of a “rifle,” that is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, see 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a). Part of this issue will center on the implications modifications that Kelland Wright made or had made to the firearm, including the addition of an extension piece to the rear of the firearm."

The brace is the "extension piece" referenced.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you post a source for where you got that?

I try to keep track of the liars... and the same ones keep popping up.

It's almost like they're trying to promote a climate of fear... scaring people into not exercising their rights...

Curious... QUITE CURIOUS, INDEED!

"...the primary issue in dispute at trial will be whether or not Kelland Wright’s firearm meets the definition of a “rifle,” that is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder, see 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a). Part of this issue will center on the implications modifications that Kelland Wright made or had made to the firearm, including the addition of an extension piece to the rear of the firearm."

The brace is the "extension piece" referenced.
View Quote
There was a picture of the gun in the big GD thread and it's referenced in the "Vasquez Expert Report" that Nolo posted a link to.  The guy added a rubber cane tip to the end of the buffer tube....he claimed it was for keeping his gun setting straight in the safe, the ATF said it was to make the brace act like a stock.

Vasquez Expert Report

Attachment Attached File

Just to be clear....I don't agree with the ATF's position on this at all!
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

There was a picture of the gun in the big GD thread...
View Quote
THAT is interesting!

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 5:29:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There was a picture of the gun in the big GD thread and it's referenced in the "Vasquez Expert Report" that Nolo posted a link to.  The guy added a rubber cane tip to the end of the buffer tube....he claimed it was for keeping his gun setting straight in the safe, the ATF said it was to make the brace act like a stock.

Vasquez Expert Report

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123552/maximpdw_PNG-721064.png

View Quote
Those damn butt plugs are nothing but trouble! ;)
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:24:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. That has to be made up. My dog pooped on mine and I need to throw it in the wash.. That’s a trip to prison? I used it to stoke the fire and it burned off. Trip to jail?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Vasquez Expert Report

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/123552/maximpdw_PNG-721064.png

View Quote
For the record the guy was acquitted, but it likely cost him more than many want to fork over to lawyers to defend yourself from stupidity.  A member from another board posted his letter from the (I think Minnesota) ATF technical branch stating that putting a rubber cane tip on the end of his buffer tube was okay.  It really doesn't matter what you do along the supposedly gray-lines of legality...if they want to indict you they will and they have the power to withhold info, hid info, lie, trap, and ignore factual information.  Even if you are acquitted, you don't have millions of tax-payers paying your attorney fees.  This is one instance I think the agency should pay the legal fees if they lose in court...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:19:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It really doesn't matter what you do along the supposedly gray-lines of legality...if they want to indict you they will and they have the power to withhold info, hid info, lie, trap, and ignore factual information.

ROCK6
View Quote
This is exactly the reason why when the door flies off the hinges, you need to go all the way.

There is no legal-gray-area with regards to removing the velcro or adding a rubber plug. It's all just fine.

The merchants of lies within our own community are logged on here pumping made up nonsense to promote a climate of terror among the citizens. It's a play designed to deter you from exercising your rights. Don't let them win, and don't hesitate to call them what they are- liars.

The reality is not "Remove the velcro? Whoa, buddy... is that worth a trip to jail plus many thousands?" it's "Go through the door to capture and detain... a plug-placer? Hey boss, is that really worth the risk?"
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Well the gun show is finally in town so I’m headed there with the hope to find a nib Gen3/G19. If I’m SOL,  I’ll look for a Gen4. They should be in abundance. Afterwards, straight to the indoor range.

Expect a report with photos later this evening..
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:58:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Mission accomplished. I found and bought what was the only Gen3/G19 left in the entire building. I also picked up a box of cheap Blazer ammo. From the show I drove straight to the range and after dialing in the red dot I shot the following groups.

I had absolutely no issues at the range. The G19 performed flawlessly with the micro Roni. I was extremely impressed with the soft recoil. There was virtually no muzzle flip.

The first photo shows the target with a 10 shot group. The second photo with the same target showing a 20 shot grouping.  The third photo with a 30 shot grouping. The target was placed at a distance of about 50ft.

So far I’m very impressed with the Micro Roni and very happy with my purchase and results.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#35]

Took out the Canon for a few glamour shots. I'm off to the range this afternoon...
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:55:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Mission accomplished. I found and bought what was the only Gen3/G19 left in the entire building. I also picked up a box of cheap Blazer ammo. From the show I drove straight to the range and after dialing in the red dot I shot the following groups.

I had absolutely no issues at the range. The G19 performed flawlessly with the micro Roni. I was extremely impressed with the soft recoil. There was virtually no muzzle flip.

The first photo shows the target with a 10 shot group. The second photo with the same target showing a 20 shot grouping.  The third photo with a 30 shot grouping. The target was placed at a distance of about 50ft.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/RONI/F2F8E6D9-238A-40AC-AE93-04EE7BCDA863_zpsm86oysrb.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/RONI/E5327481-35CF-4F09-A373-50EC7AA0A63F_zpscvwxo7ar.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/los3088/RONI/177599AC-BC21-4752-9487-296B5A6A11A8_zpshqr8xq7j.jpg

So far I'm very impressed with the Micro Roni and very happy with my purchase and results.
View Quote
nice shooting!

Looks like a serious accuracy upgrade
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 4:37:01 PM EDT
[#37]
@LOS ..  Does the zero change when your pistol has been removed and reinstalled?  Guess I better get out from under the rock
I've been living under because I haven't seen anything like that before.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
@LOS ..  Does the zero change when your pistol has been removed and reinstalled?  Guess I better get out from under the rock
I've been living under because I haven't seen anything like that before.
View Quote
It definitely held zero. We actually first fired it out of the Roni just to compare accuracy. The Roni enhances accuracy tremendously. We are about to leave the range but I’ll post a photo a little later showing a nice 20 shot cluster.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
nice shooting!

View Quote
Thank you. The Roni really brings out the best of my 19.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:11:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
nice shooting!

I can shoot groups like that with my 26 if I really focus, but only at like 5 yards

You guys are going to make me get a 17 just for the Roni. And I'm increasingly ok with that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#41]
This photo shows a cluster of 20 rounds fired with the Roni after the pistol was fired solo. As everyone can see, the Glock held perfect zero from my first outing last week. We shot 150 rounds (Remington) today for a current total of 200 rounds with this set up without issue.

Todays Remington ammo seemed to have a a little more felt recoil than the 50 rounds of Blazer I shot last week. Still extremely manageable with the Roni.

I jerked the damn first shot hitting just outside bullseye. After calming down and rearranging my panties, I shot a little  better. I’m really diggin the Roni..!

Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted: ... You guys are going to make me get a 17 just for the Roni. And I'm increasingly ok with that.
View Quote
Go for it. I can only imagine the accuracy you’ll get from the longer barrel. You won’t be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Go for it. I can only imagine the accuracy you'll get from the longer barrel. You won't be disappointed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: ... You guys are going to make me get a 17 just for the Roni. And I'm increasingly ok with that.
Go for it. I can only imagine the accuracy you'll get from the longer barrel. You won't be disappointed.
Gotta save up more money, being all responsible and shit

Also the Roni is illegal in CA because it's a "barrel shroud" and turns the Glock into an "assault pistol" but that won't be an issue anymore in a few months
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Also the Roni is illegal in CA because it's a "barrel shroud" and turns the Glock into an "assault pistol" but that won't be an issue anymore in a few months
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brotha, I feel your pain.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:03:08 AM EDT
[#45]
OP Great Work!  I kind of liked the RONI but not the braced one they offer, Yours looks soo much better!!!!

Now I may want one -but

I have a question  Do RONIs work with Polymer 80 framed 19/23 builds?  Mine is a stock Glock 23 parts kit on a P80 frame - Any reason why the RONI won't work?

Again great work - much improved over factory!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
OP Great Work!  I kind of liked the RONI but not the braced one they offer, Yours looks soo much better!!!!

Now I may want one -but

I have a question  Do RONIs work with Polymer 80 framed 19/23 builds?  Mine is a stock Glock 23 parts kit on a P80 frame - Any reason why the RONI won't work?

Again great work - much improved over factory!
View Quote
You will need to take a dremel to the P80 frame around the trigger guard a little.  Saw a video on Facebook of a guy doing it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#47]
So I'm pondering the idea of Cerakoting the little sumbish....
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:18:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a bunch of 33 rounders that this would be perfect for.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:36:44 AM EDT
[#49]
OP, instead of building up the brace so you have a better cheekweld, why not just lower the optic?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 12:45:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
OP, instead of building up the brace so you have a better cheekweld, why not just lower the optic?
View Quote
Actually, resting the cheek on the tube produces prefect LOS with Optic/BUIS so no need to raise the LOS or lower the optic.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top