Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2016 4:36:01 PM EDT
I have a collection of PCC's, all 9mm. I had sold my somewhat rare Kel-Tec Sub9 last year to a guy who really wanted one. Truth is I missed it some. At our range Christmas party I realized they had some of the new Gen2 Subs on the wall. A couple were .40's but there was one 9mm. It was the NiB model which is a very nice looking rifle as well as being a practical piece with that coating. It was a bit below list price and for the party they gave me 10% off which made it a fair deal.

Now, some of you will scold me but this one did NOT take Glock magazines. No. This one took S&W M&P magazines. It appears these are very difficult to find. Now I don't have an M&P but the beauty in this model is that it is what Kel-Tec refers to as "Multi-Mag", that is by quickly changing one small part it can be made to fit S&W 59 or M&P, Sig 226 type, or Beretta 92 mags. I happen to have bags of the Smith 59's as they fit my Marlin Camp 9 and of course I have a box of Beretta 92's as they fit my CX-4 Storm. Its like $12 for an adapter, half the price of one magazine! Plus should I want to sell this rifle a buyer could have a choice of what he wants to use in it.

For now I am happy. The Gen2 Sub is clearly an upgrade from the Gen 1. I am very happy to have it with the multi-mag lower as I have piles of magazines and you know how much those things can cost. And I love the Ni-B finish as it really dresses up this little fun gun. Once more my PPC collection has an example from Kel-Tec with a hard to find rifle. All is well!

Merry Christmas to me!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 7:30:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I just wonder how scarce the mag. swapping parts are. Considering you never see the carbines stocked on shelves. they sell fast. I doubt the parts for swapping to different mags are easy to obtain if so keep us posted I may still get one then.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just wonder how scarce the mag. swapping parts are. Considering you never see the carbines stocked on shelves. they sell fast. I doubt the parts for swapping to different mags are easy to obtain if so keep us posted I may still get one then.
View Quote

I got the Sub on Saturday. Sunday I ordered the mag switch parts. All were in stock.  Today, Monday, I got the notice from KelTec and Fedex that they have been shipped.

BTW, I don't know if everyone is aware of some changes in the Gen 2 Sub. In the previous generations the serial number was on the main body of the receiver. If you wanted to change to or from a Glock model it was impossible as you needed a new receiver which you could not buy separately. Kel-Tec did a smart move on the Gen  2 and put the serial number on the buffer tube so that now they can sell you the Glock mag main receiver part via their web store. It costs about $50 for this part to convert the rifle if you really must have a Glock lower. As for the "Multi-Mag" receiver its something like $12 to change the mag catch part. Its the simple removal of two screws and slip in the new latch. They even give you the little Allen wrench to do it with if I recall.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm glad to hear it previous conversions were rare n hard to obtain.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Got the parts in no time. The new latch is amazingly simple to install, like a two minute job if you are a slow poke. Two small screws and they give you spare screws and a little Allen wrench in the package. I went with the Beretta 92 mags for now as I have a bag of them for my CX-4 Storm carbine. I like that you can even convert this thing to a Glock lower now. Since they moved the location of the serial number to the "buffer tube" they can mail you a new set of grip sides to make it into a Glock compatible model. Cost is $50 something. So, if you really want a Sub2k and can't find the mag model you want,  you can upgrade now. Of course this only applies to the Gen 2 Sub's.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
That's sweet at shot show they said the gen 2 is cutting their production time.( I wasn't there video I watched) So now they can fulfill orders faster. Looks like things are getting better and I just may need to get one now. Thanks for updating.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#6]
And I forgot....the Glock hand grips are shown as "In Stock" so I guess one could easily convert their Multi-Mag to a Glock now. I placed an order for parts and had it in like a couple of days. Looks like they have improved things there.

I know there are people standing in line for a Glock model. Dealers charge extra for the Glock 9mm ones. I think if people found a good deal on a Multi-Mag they should just buy it and then convert it to Glock. It would be cheaper and when you sold it you would have a rifle with parts that would convert it to several popular pistol mags.

Kel-Tec did do this Gen 2 up right. Smart move on their part.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 11:50:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm glad to hear it previous conversions were rare n hard to obtain.
View Quote

Now they're just expensive!
Gen II: $599 + shipping.

Now that I see threaded muzzle and glock stick mags acceptable and finally, forever4 approved I have to have one!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top