Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/6/2016 12:23:26 AM EDT
Hey guys!

I'd bought a 9mm Gen 2 vector for a decent price and, along with it, I went ahead and picked up the M4 buffer tube adapter.  I just can't figure out how this thing is supposed to go on.  It looks identical to the one that's on there, however you cannot simply remove that QD butt plate.  It must be locktited in place.  The design is definitely different from the Gen 1 models, so I'm not exactly sure how to proceed.  The pins that hold the stock QD butt plate in place aren't hex, so I can't unscrew them.  Not sure what to do?  There's so little info on these newer guns out there right now, I could really use some help.  Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:13:01 AM EDT
[#1]
You dont need a new adapter.  Just take the two set screws out from the bottom of the one that came on the gun you purchased.  Next just unscrew section with the quick attach mount.  You will then be able to screw in ar tube and insert the set screws again (when you are snugging up the tube just line up channel section of the tube with the set screws)

I made the same mistake myself.  I purchased the adapter for my new 9mm Gen II but figured out you dont need it.  I believe the adapter is for the Gen I models.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Trust me, that was the first thing I tried.  Even tried heating up the thing a little bit.  That end cap wouldn't budge a millimeter.  There's just no easy way to get a good grip on it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks like it needs to be drilled out, Gen 1 I'm guessing;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knO5Zy1-kZ4
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
For me, once the set screws were completely out, the entire section right after the last S in Kriss just unscrewed easily and then I just added a tube and Sig Brace.  Took about 3 min.

If you want to replace the entire adapter, its actually pretty detailed.  But like I said, you will notice the adapter in this video does not look like the adapter you purchased or the adapter that is already on the Gen II.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knO5Zy1-kZ4

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, like I'd said before, mine is a gen 2 with a different set of pins.  They're not the hex ones like in gen 1 guns and the adapter on the gen 2 is the same as the m4 buffer tube adapter but the QD part seems to be glued in.  I wasn't able to remove it.

I just wasn't sure if it was possible to tap these new pins out. I'm not sure how they're installed or held in place.  I was just making sure there wasn't other options before I began drilling and was forced to buy Kriss' $30 set of pins.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the gen 2 SBR / endplate replacement process the same as the gen 1's? drilling out the rivet, removing the rail, metal plate in the receiver, etc?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Not exactly. I was reading a comment on a YouTube video that said you do have to drill the pins out, but that's it.  Since it's the Gen 2 QD plate is identical to the buffer tube adapter, you won't have to do any of the other steps. You'll have to order some new pins from Kriss though, and they aren't cheap.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:42:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, like I'd said before, mine is a gen 2 with a different set of pins.  They're not the hex ones like in gen 1 guns and the adapter on the gen 2 is the same as the m4 buffer tube adapter but the QD part seems to be glued in.  I wasn't able to remove it.

View Quote

That sucks, sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:45:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not exactly. I was reading a comment on a YouTube video that said you do have to drill the pins out, but that's it.  Since it's the Gen 2 QD plate is identical to the buffer tube adapter, you won't have to do any of the other steps. You'll have to order some new pins from Kriss though, and they aren't cheap.
View Quote

Oh, awesome, thanks. What about the original gen 1 folding stock? Will that still drop in? I ask since it seems the endplate geometry changed a little from gen 1 to gen 2.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 3:13:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Get this thing lined out and I will consider getting one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered the pins that I need from Kriss.  Looks like I bought the last set!  So, soon as I get them I'll get this thing swapped out.  Supposedly the only step is to drill out the top of the original retaining pin then put the new adapter on.  So....here's hoping it goes well!  

Also, the threads on my barrel were like 0.2" and some change too long for my Gemtech Tundra to be able to touch the barrel shoulder so I had to order a suppressor spacer.  Don't know if that will be an issue for anyone else, but it's one I want to throw out there.

Soon as everything I need comes in, I should be able to give a nice, direct comparison review of the 9mm Vector to my Scorpion Evo.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Not going to lie, it is pretty hot.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:36:57 PM EDT
[#13]
op... I helped a friend who purchased a gen2 a couple weeks ago that added the brace.  All we did was remove the allen head screws (red arrows), remove the QD loop, used some channel locks to grip the QD end piece and it twisted right off.  Obviously we taped up everything that could be marred and wrapped the gun in a towel and placed it into a vise.  There was no need to drill out the pivot pin or any pins for that matter.  I'm pretty sure the adapter looked exactly as whats on your gun.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]
This is great info. My gen2 9mm is enroute to my FFL and should be here this week. This thread save me some money, I was going to order the m4 adapter and repurpose an old sig arm brace until I can get a Form 1 out and approved on this. It sounds like I'll try and remove the small allen screws on the underside first before I try and drill out that hinge pin.

Not to change subject, has anyone considered putting a 3 lug onto the barrel threading? I have an Octane 9HD with a 3 lug adapter to use on my MKE sbr, and I was kicking around adding a 3 lug onto the end of the barrel for my Kriss to avoid having to change suppressor adapters.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
op... I helped a friend who purchased a gen2 a couple weeks ago that added the brace.  All we did was remove the allen head screws (red arrows), remove the QD loop, used some channel locks to grip the QD end piece and it twisted right off.  Obviously we taped up everything that could be marred and wrapped the gun in a towel and placed it into a vise.  There was no need to drill out the pivot pin or any pins for that matter.  I'm pretty sure the adapter looked exactly as whats on your gun.
View Quote

Yeah, that was the first thing I tried:  I removed those little screws, heated up the end plate and tried to twist it off.  No go.  It wouldn't budge.  From what I've gathered from YouTube comments, it's hit or miss with that method.  You either got someone on the assembly line who went lite on the locktite or they put a ton in it....  It's luck of the draw.

How did you get your channel locks to stay on that little thing?  There's not much material to grab on it.

*edit:  Nevermind, I think I see how you did it.  I might heat it up again and give it another shot when I get home.*
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Correction:  I have no idea how you got any grip at all on that little plug.  Vice grips slide right off (and wreck the plastic).  The only thing I could think of trying to do is drill a hole through it and try sticking an allen wrench or punch through to torque it off.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 12:53:37 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, did you get it off?  If so, did you use a new adapter or not?  I'm getting ready to do this to mine....
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, it was super simple.  I had someone hold the pistol upright and used a drill press to drill down like a quarter millimeter 'til the head of the bolt popped off.  Pin slid out after that.  Literally took like 20 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 5:33:49 PM EDT
[#19]
You needed a new adapter as well?  No way to utilize the existing one?
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 8:20:27 AM EDT
[#20]
The factory endcap is held on by a single threaded pin with a rivet in the bottom.

I drilled the top of the rivet off (from the bottom/grip side), pushed the pin out and then the cap just slides to the right and back. That's it. YouTube videos show messing with the rail, roll pins and such but not needed on Gen 2 Vectors.

I then used a "screw out" to back the rivet stem out and just reused the same pin. Still need to find the correct threaded screw to fit it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 9:00:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok...I'll try that since the adapters are universally out of stock.

So...turn the vector upside down and use a (?) Size metal drill bit to drill out the "hinge" pin head.

Push out headless pin from bottom of kriss to top.

Slide off end piece.

What's a screw out?

Still need to replace with a new adapter?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#22]
You will need the M4 adapter to mount an AR tube. A screw out is what is used to back out a stripped or broken screw. In hind sight, I probably could have used it to back out the rivet without drilling the head off since it is a rivet set into a threaded pin. Yes, from the bottom side. Good luck and I can post pics in a few days when I get home if you want.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 9:38:55 PM EDT
[#23]
That would be great.  thanks.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 9:05:26 PM EDT
[#24]
First off, I was/am wrong.  When I got home, i tried to disassemble my end cap/sling stud adapter that came on my Gen 2 Kriss Vector.  At least with mine, it is EXACTLY like the M4 adapter I purchased.  I just had to loosen the 2 set screws on the bottom, then just twist out the sling stud socket.

Here are the two.  Left is the M4 Adapter I bought, right is the original endcap with the sling stud socket removed.  Looks like I wasted money buying and time hunting down an M4 Adapter.

All images are cell phone and suck, best I could do.

Here is the pin drilled and then with the rivet backed out, showing the threading inside the pin.

Here is my Gen 2 with Pistol Stabilizing Brace with original pin reused.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 2:45:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Hi guys. Any updates on this thread? Wish there's an easy way on how to remove that QD butt plate. I have the SDP FDE too and having a very hard time to loosen that part. And there's no way to use a tool on this to get a good grip to get it loose.

And as a precaution and being desperate, I bought the Kriss M4 stock adapter in dark earth while in stock just in case my patience runs out. Setting it aside and ready to install.

My other question guys is how short is the stock pivot pin that is installed on this SDP adapter? And when I swap the SDP with the new M4 adapter that I bought, can I just put it back in? or will it be too short? or do I need to buy another pin which I have no idea where to find it. Problem is Kriss is selling one now but I'm not a big fan of this pivot pin with the QD attachment on top. It just looks awkward for me.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:15:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Is this what you're trying to do?

https://youtu.be/knO5Zy1-kZ4
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 9:52:38 AM EDT
[#27]
This for the gen 2 9mm--you can use the existing QD adapter with mods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGxHoxha90&nohtml5=False
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Is this what you're trying to do?

https://youtu.be/knO5Zy1-kZ4
View Quote

That's what we're trying to do except we have the gen 2 which has a totally different adapter from that gen 1.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 4:37:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This for the gen 2 9mm--you can use the existing QD adapter with mods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGxHoxha90&nohtml5=False
View Quote

Thanks ChickenDaddy. Saw this video yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I don't think this guy [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFGxHoxha90&nohtml5=False] realized there were two allen wrench / set screws under the rear of the existing adapter before he took a mill or drill press to it. There is no mention of it in the video.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top