Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 3:27:14 PM EDT
Guys,

I'm looking to pick one of these up.  

First question is: Where to buy one for a reasonable price?  I saw that Botachtactical has it listed at $579 but they are out of stock.
Second question: Which model should I get?  I want the one that accepts 30rd factory Beretta mags.  20rd mags would be nice, too.
Third question: I'd like to have the barrel cut down to 14.5" and flash hider pinned / welded on.  Any idea who to send it to?  I heard the barrel can be hard to remove.

I plan to get the Sierra Papa upgraded trigger pack and other steel parts to improve the functionality and durability of the gun.  I also plan to install an Aimpoint Micro or Primary Arms clone.  I'm hoping to get a good sight picture with this.  Will I need a riser or should I just go with a low mount?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Good mag choices if you go 92 type 9mm, I run the 30s & 17s.

As for cutting & threading the barrel, not much point to it with a 9mm carbine. There's zero flash from a 16" barrel, even running +P ammo. But if that's what you want, I'd ask ADCO, they do good work. Or ask on the Beretta Owner's Forum, but most are only cutting & threading for supressors.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
First, no +p in a storm rifle.
Next, Josh at AGW or Tornado Technologies.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 2:31:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Guys,

First question is: Where to buy one for a reasonable price?  I saw that Botachtactical has it listed at $579 but they are out of stock.
Second question: Which model should I get?  I want the one that accepts 30rd factory Beretta mags.  20rd mags would be nice, too.
Third question: I'd like to have the barrel cut down to 14.5" and flash hider pinned / welded on.  Any idea who to send it to?  I heard the barrel can be hard to remove.

I plan to get the Sierra Papa upgraded trigger pack and other steel parts to improve the functionality and durability of the gun.  I also plan to install an Aimpoint Micro or Primary Arms clone.  I'm hoping to get a good sight picture with this.  Will I need a riser or should I just go with a low mount?
View Quote

I have owned one of these since they first came out.  I have never seen a reason to cut down the barrel and add a flash hider. 1) the rifle is so short to begin with as the magazine is in the grip. 2) it has no need for a flash hider....waste of good money
I am still running the original trigger. Did a DIY trigger job on it years ago and never saw a good reason to spend a couple of hundred on a trigger up grade after that.  I am sure the SP trigger might be a little nicer...but $180 nicer? Nah.
This little carbine has been 100% reliable for years. I see no reason to spend money on "reliability upgrades". How much better than 100% can a firearm work?
Get the model that takes the 92 series magazines.  Widest range of choices. I have the 30 round one but actually like the 18 round MecGar as it fits flush up in the grip out of the way.

OH, anyway, its your money and if you want to spend four or five hundred or more on it go for it if it makes you happy.    Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I just looked at tornado technologies' site and it states they can thread a cx4 barrel at no extra cost. I hope the same is true for a px4 storm rifle.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 8:25:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I just looked at tornado technologies' site and it states they can thread a cx4 barrel at no extra cost. I hope the same is true for a px4 storm rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, technically speaking there's no such thing as a PX4 Storm. All CX4s are the same, just with different magwell inserts & releases.
And yea, just to clarify, I don't shoot +P thru my Storm carbine, only my 9mm AR. But without any muzzle device on a 16" barrel there is zero flash using +P.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess that's why the nice lady at Tornado said "duh" when I asked about sbring my PX4 Storm.
$170 + shipping both ways and govt fees.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 10:15:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have owned one of these since they first came out.  I have never seen a reason to cut down the barrel and add a flash hider. 1) the rifle is so short to begin with as the magazine is in the grip. 2) it has no need for a flash hider....waste of good money

I am still running the original trigger. Did a DIY trigger job on it years ago and never saw a good reason to spend a couple of hundred on a trigger up grade after that.  I am sure the SP trigger might be a little nicer...but $180 nicer? Nah.

This little carbine has been 100% reliable for years. I see no reason to spend money on "reliability upgrades". How much better than 100% can a firearm work?

Get the model that takes the 92 series magazines.  Widest range of choices. I have the 30 round one but actually like the 18 round MecGar as it fits flush up in the grip out of the way.

OH, anyway, its your money and if you want to spend four or five hundred or more on it go for it if it makes you happy.    Enjoy!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Guys,

I had plans of having Sierra Papa upgrades done to my CX4 Storm until I got it and shot it.  I just was out back shooting it yesterday and had fun, hit what I aimed at, and it functioned perfectly, I no longer feel the need for the Sierra Papa upgrades like the poster above.

Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:38:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good mag choices if you go 92 type 9mm, I run the 30s & 17s.

As for cutting & threading the barrel, not much point to it with a 9mm carbine. There's zero flash from a 16" barrel, even running +P ammo. But if that's what you want, I'd ask ADCO, they do good work. Or ask on the Beretta Owner's Forum, but most are only cutting & threading for supressors.
View Quote

Seems like the 92 types are hard to find.  If I go with the CX4 version, is it hard to adapt it to the 92 mags?  I want everything to run 100%, and I want to use factory Beretta mags if possible.

Botachtactical.com had the CX4 version in stock not long ago at $579 shipped.  Too bad they are out of stock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#10]
The cx4 model uses 92 mags; the px4 series(what I have)uses px4 mags, so I bought a px4 pistol and love it.
If you can only find a px4 model mods are available from beretta to convert it to a cx4.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I saw one listed on the EE boards yesterday in the rifle section. I was thinking about it, but I don't need two of them.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#12]
There's one on GB(px4)but it's in TX and I don't want to pay the 8.25% tax. I have a px4 rifle and the corresponding pistol and love them both.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 1:13:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Seems like the 92 types are hard to find.  If I go with the CX4 version, is it hard to adapt it to the 92 mags? .
View Quote

No, not hard at all. I converted mine over with the conversion kit. It functions flawlessly with Berretta brand magazines, but I could not get an after market 30 round mag to lock in (sorry, I don't remember what brand).
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#14]

No, not hard at all. I converted mine over with the conversion kit. It functions flawlessly with Berretta brand magazines, but I could not get an after market 30 round mag to lock in (sorry, I don't remember what brand).
View Quote

I've had four of the 30 round factory Beretta mags for years with no issues. Last I looked they were $40 list price, and I like the rubber grip on the exposed part of the mag, fits flush with the magwell/grip with zero movement. I used to run cheap korean hi cap mags on a Glock pistol and they all had quite a bit of play which seemed to cause feed issues. Even the 17 round factory mags are $35 which I think is kinda ridiculous considering factory 15 round mags are usually $20 or less.
I do a lot of shooting from a table, so most of my rifle mags are 20 rounders. Nice thing about the magwell in the grip is that even those 30 rounders don't get in the way.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:32:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Seems like the 92 types are hard to find.  If I go with the CX4 version, is it hard to adapt it to the 92 mags? .

Where can I find a conversion kit in stock?  They seem to be sold out everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Beretta forum.net and brownells are the only place I've seen them but occasionally they come up on our EE as well as other site's EEs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I saw one listed on the EE boards yesterday in the rifle section. I was thinking about it, but I don't need two of them.
View Quote

Why not?
I have one in 9mm (PX4, 92, 8000) and one in .45 (PX4, 8045).

I am thinking about a project.
Converting a 92 and a 9mm CX4 to .22 TCM.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been thinking about picking up another pistol carbine in .45acp, currently have a Just Right carbine which is super accurate with good 185 gr ammo but is kinds finicky with certain ammo and I've had to fiddle with my 13 rnd & hicap Glock mags to get them reliable. Since my 9mm Storm is an early gen. 1 I'm keeping an eye out for a gen. 2 .45acp. PX4 mag type.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a JRC in 9mm. Pretty slick little gun, even though I haven't shot it yet. I chose 9mm for the g33 mags!
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 5:03:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about picking up another pistol carbine in .45acp, currently have a Just Right carbine which is super accurate with good 185 gr ammo but is kinds finicky with certain ammo and I've had to fiddle with my 13 rnd & hicap Glock mags to get them reliable. Since my 9mm Storm is an early gen. 1 I'm keeping an eye out for a gen. 2 .45acp. PX4 mag type.
View Quote

If you get another PX4 in .45 you may want to consider the CX4 in .45 as well. Then purchase a PX4 magwell insert and mag release from Sierra Papa so you can run those PX4 mags in both firearms.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a CX4 in .40 S&W that I SBR'd back in 2010. To say that it' rewrites the book on fun would be an understatement. I love it. I think they make great SBR's and I HIGHLY recommend getting it chopped, it's definitely worth it. My experience with magazines has been mixed. Factory Beretta 96 magazines run flawlessly. The 20 round Promags were total junk. The 30 round Beretta 9mm mags are easy to mod to run with .40 S&W and once tweaked run flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought this was a no-no due to 922r. has this changed?  I would like to get a Storm to suppress.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#23]

I am looking at a new old stock CX4 that doesn't have the Picatinny top rail, for a nice price. Are these difficult to add Beretta the top rail to?
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 1:55:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am looking at a new old stock CX4 that doesn't have the Picatinny top rail, for a nice price. Are these difficult to add Beretta the top rail to?
View Quote

They are actually pretty simple to install. There are some holes for the screws and I think they are actually marked on the molding inside so its just a matter of pushing through the plastic and installing the rail with a few screws. Its a bit of a trick to get the nuts on the inside of the stock as they are up above the barrel but nothing that takes more than a little patience and a few minutes. BTW, I learned to do LockTite on the screws, they can work loose in time.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They are actually pretty simple to install. There are some holes for the screws and I think they are actually marked on the molding inside so its just a matter of pushing through the plastic and installing the rail with a few screws. Its a bit of a trick to get the nuts on the inside of the stock as they are up above the barrel but nothing that takes more than a little patience and a few minutes. BTW, I learned to do LockTite on the screws, they can work loose in time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the info!

Link Posted: 6/18/2015 4:09:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I got the CX4 Storm 9mm rifle, then I got the full size PX4 Storm, full size, 9mm pistol.  They both came with 17 round magazines.  They are the same magazines.  Not sure what y'all are talking about.  I can buy 30 magazines that fit in them both too.

BTW, I also have the .45 CX4 Storm.  It is my favorite.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 1:37:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I got the CX4 Storm 9mm rifle, then I got the full size PX4 Storm, full size, 9mm pistol.  They both came with 17 round magazines.  They are the same magazines.  Not sure what y'all are talking about.  I can buy 30 magazines that fit in them both too.

BTW, I also have the .45 CX4 Storm.  It is my favorite.
View Quote

There are two versions of the CX4 Storm carbine.

One version takes the PX4 mags, the other the Beretta 92 type mags.  They are not interchangeable, but you can get inserts to change out in the magwell that allow you to shoot one mag type, or the other, unfortunately Beretta decided to push the PX4 mags by discontinuing the insert that allows you to shoot 92 mags. You can only get the PX4 magwell inserts.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought Beretta dropped the cx4 rifle in 9mm. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 40 & 45 were still available.
I'll check on some other sites and get back here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 11:50:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Per beretta forum in the tactical rifle section page one, CX4 discontinued: not listed in 2015 catalog and many stores(cabelas etc)say their reps told them no more and that includes the px4 pistols except the px45 special(extended barrel).
It is also said beretta is the most opaque company around and constantly reverses themselves.
I'm glad I got mine and in this case I will not buy another so my brothers may pick up one of these fine pieces!
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I thought Beretta dropped the cx4 rifle in 9mm. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the 40 & 45 were still available.
I'll check on some other sites and get back here.
View Quote

http://www.beretta.com/cx4-storm/
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Thank you_DR.
Silly beretta boys.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#32]
What I've heard is Beretta does a run to meet orders and shuts down the line until the orders build up again.
Not discontinuing the CX4 but not running a full line 24/7.
Kind of making their own demand by not creating a supply.

They should make a HD package that includes a CX4 and a partner pistol in one deal.

CX4 & PX4 SD in .45, FDE would be nice.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#33]
FWIW when Beretta gave the Storm carbine a facelift a few years ago there were rumors flying around it was being discontinued. It's always been a low production item. CX4 Storms are in use with police agencies in other countries, if Beretta is making money stamping some out for them I'd be surprised if they stop civilian sales.
I think the PX4 magwell option would be more popular if Beretta/Mecgar came out with a 30 round factory mag. Or, here's a thought, add $10 to the cost of every Storm and just give me both kits and let me decide which one  I want to install.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top