Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/9/2015 5:05:29 PM EDT
Waiting for the call from my FFL. 9mm Glock mags, pistol config, Dark Earth anodized. Anyone else here got one?

edit: Found a great, informative review with video posted 2/10/15. Check it out!
http://shortbarrelshepherd.com/tnw-firearms-aero-survival-pistol-at-shot-show-2015/
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the rifle version. Mine is an early model (part of the first 200 built). I got it when they first came out.
I have a lot of 9mm PCC's and its one of my favorites. No firearm is perfect but this ASR has some things going for it. Its nice and light, compact and shoots pretty accurately. I think you will have a nice time with it, I know I enjoy mine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 10:57:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the rifle version. Mine is an early model (part of the first 200 built). I got it when they first came out.
I have a lot of 9mm PCC's and its one of my favorites. No firearm is perfect but this ASR has some things going for it. Its nice and light, compact and shoots pretty accurately. I think you will have a nice time with it, I know I enjoy mine.
View Quote

Nice! does yours prefer any particular type of ammo?

Still waiting on mine. Here's a pic of how mine should look:

Link Posted: 2/9/2015 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the pistol version..it begs for an SBR stamp.  As for ammo, mine like most anything I have tried, but I have not tried everything. I normally just go with 115 and 124 ball (round nose that is, not hollow points) and she likes that just fine. Use good magazines, as with any firearm. She seems to run best on factory Glocks but also runs with the better Korean ones. The cheap 33 round ones from Korea don't seem to be the smart way to go.

Nice looking piece.....
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Got it! This thing is SWEET! blasted a 30rd mag out today to test fire. Zero problems so far. Still messing around with setting it up but here's a quick photo of it as it sits today.
Anyone considering these should grab one up if you can find one!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Another nice one on GB right now; slightly used but a great price!
I have to say, I really like the black. I would have been all over this a few days ago.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=467619769
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:31:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought a  SBR and an integral suppressor would be cool on one of these.  Just short the 2k for the final project.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought a  SBR and an integral suppressor would be cool on one of these.  Just short the 2k for the final project.
View Quote

It would be! If you decide to take that on post up some pics here and let us know how it turns out.

I'm still getting mine setup how I want it and plan to show updates here soon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Actually the cheap way would be to get the rifle, sbr it and send a barrel to SRT for a 16" integral.  Still about 2k I imagine.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 9:31:26 PM EDT
[#9]
They take .40 and .45 Glock mags too!

And all use the same .45 can!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:38:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not completely set on SBR'ing mine as I'm very comfortable shooting mine with the pistol tube, but seeing the MFT stock on it, which would be one of my options, makes it look tempting.
Did you replace the pistol tube with a standard stock tube, and what buffer/spring do you use?

Here is me shooting mine with an Innovative Arms Lex9:

And here is vid cap of me shooting a SEG Frankin Aluminum can:

Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Standard stock tube and the spring that came with the gun.
Runs like a champ and fun to shoot. I was going for a modern Beretta Model 12.
I'm not sure of a gun that is as easy to change to 3 calibers on.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 11:32:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Did you replace the pistol tube with a standard stock tube, and what buffer/spring do you use?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good question.

Quoted:
Standard stock tube and the spring that came with the gun.

Been a while since I've had mine apart, but I was thinking there was something proprietary or strange going on in the buffer tube....some kind of spring guide that was attached inside, IIRC. How did you deal with that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:56:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Exactly, the spring that came with mine is smaller diameter than the tube and have a guide rod. I was afraid if I put that in a standard tube it would kink. And the buffer mate with the spring reverse of a regular buffer with the spring going into a hole in the buffer rather than the buffer just going into the spring like on a AR.

I figured I'd need to replace the tube, spring and buffer.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe someone can reach out to TNW to see if they make the "correct parts", but I modified my pistol parts to work with a standard mil-spec buffer tube. Their guide rod screwed into the back of their pistol tube. I screwed it out, chucked it in a drill and griped it with sand paper in my hand. A minute of spinning in sand paper broke the edges on the threads so the guide rod would fit down in my buffer tube.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:31:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the tip. So if I understand correctly, the guide rod is threaded into the "butt cap" in the end of the buffer tube. So there's a fairly thick plug in the end that contains the QD socket on one side and the rod is threaded into the other side? Did you have to destroy the original buffer tube to remove it?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So if I understand correctly, the guide rod is threaded into the "butt cap" in the end of the buffer tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
So if I understand correctly, the guide rod is threaded into the "butt cap" in the end of the buffer tube.

Yes.
So there's a fairly thick plug in the end that contains the QD socket on one side and the rod is threaded into the other side?

Yes.
Did you have to destroy the original buffer tube to remove it?

No, I can return it to pistol tube form if I wanted to.

I've emailed TNW to see if they recommend other parts.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:57:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Talked to Tim (the owner) and Alex (tech) yesterday at TNW. Placed an order for the correct ASP to ASR buffer conversion parts for my TNW Aero SBR - a heavy buffer, heavy buffer spring, and heavy buffer stop. If anyone is interested, here are the part numbers to save you the back and forth:

1. ASR Heavy Buffer (ASR-GNPT-XXXX-BKXXXX-XA53) $17.00
2. ASR Buffer Spring - Heavy (ASRX-GNPT-XXXX-BKXX-X51D) $8.00
3. ASR Heavy Buffer Stop (nosku) $7.00

So for $32 + s&h in parts it's not too bad to have one PCC SBR that can handle 3 different calibers (9mm / .40 S&W / .45 ACP). Not sure why the Aero pistol and the rifle use different buffer parts, you'd think they'd want parts commonality to keep costs down. It really should be as simple as getting your tax stamp and then switching from a pistol tube to a normal buffer tube. Maybe that is the exact reason right there? To thwart illegal SBR conversions?

I'm going to continue to use my mil-spec buffer tube and MFT stock in the pics. I expect it will continue to work as good as it did with my monkey-rigged buffer setup. One note is that TNW uses commercial buffer tubes as they are a little longer in length. Will post a follow up when I get the new parts and take it to the range again.

Also when talking to the owner Tim, he mentioned again a rail and future caliber conversions - .357 Sig, .22 LR, .22 MAG, and .17 HMR. I told him about the Advantage Arms .22LR Glock conversions that already have 25rd Glock compatible magazines. That would be pretty cool. I also think a .22 TCM conversion out of 9mm Glock mags would work better than .22 MAG.

Maybe they will see this thread...
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Not sure why I never thought to ask TNW if it was a standard AR15 carbine or AR 9mm buffer and buffer spring... Dagnabit!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_48/387756__ARCHIVED_THREAD____The_new_TNW_Aero_Survival_Rifle_____first_range_report__and_pictures__Now_with_Updated_info_.html&page=3#i3710937
Quoting BLK_OUT:
"I completely tore it down, and to add to specs of the rifle, it has:

1. Commercial spec buffer tube
2. Carbine length buffer spring
3. 9mm buffer, I'll edit my post later to confirm it, I need to get my hands on my buddy's 9mm buffer to be sure.
"
View Quote

FWIW - Tim did say that he had talked with SlideFide about making special bumpfire stock that would fit the ASR. He also said his design wouldn't allow an out of battery discharge (OOB). Not sure about that though.
FWIW2 - They have done .380, .357 Sig, and 10mm on custom order.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:20:35 AM EDT
[#19]
You've got to understand how unbelievably ironic I find this whole thread considering over the past few days, I went through many of the issues described in detail in here, while you were discussing them.  Part of me wishes I'd read this first.

I'll start at the beginning: I purchased an ASR used last week with plans to modify it into an ASP with the shortened barrel and different buffer, buffer tube, and buffer springs.  After speaking to TNW on Monday, I realized this is illegal.  This was all very disappointing as I never intended to own an ASR but much rather preferred the ASP.  

This evening, I purchased an ASP on gunbroker, and I have plans to sell my ASR shortly.  It sure would've been nice to simply switch out the necessary parts, but the law's the law.  But I do have a question, as you guys seem to be on the subject of ASP buffer tubes.  I take it the diameter is different than other AR pistols?  I've read in a review that the SB15 Sig Arm Brace has difficulty staying still on the ASP as the tube seems too narrow.  Switching them out in the manner jgs describes seems interesting.  I'd love to hear more about that because I'm undoubtedly going to be upset when my SBX arrives and wobbles all over the place.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Pretty sure if you cut the foam off of the pistol buffer tube the SB15 fits just fine. That was what I was going to do, but then they banned shoulders touching arm braces so I went ahead and SBR'd it. That stamp took a month but my latest stamp is already over 3 :(
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:00:11 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, just making sure....The 'Upper' is the serial numbered part, correct?  The magwell and trigger group are just parts.

Next question, how well does it suppress?  A suppressed SBR that is this easy to swap calibers in a near dream gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, the upper receiver caries the serial number. One stamp and multiple calibers/lowers.
Suppresses like any blow back PCC. A tiny bit louder due to dual ejection ports.
Love the gun!
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 7:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]
I was surprised how well it suppressed. At first I thought it was just OK, but after having someone else shoot I realized what I heard was all action noise from having my ear right over the buffer tube from my cheek weld. Standing a couple of feet away from the gun with no contact, it was very quiet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2015 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I asked TNW about the buffer and buffer spring being a standard AR15 or AR9 part:

"Yes, the buffer tube is just like any you would find on an AR.  Same with the actual stock shell.  The buffer and spring in our ASR are different from any AR-15 I've seen."

Of course when I get them I will be able to compare them side by side, and weigh the buffer.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#25]
From left to right:
1. AR-15 carbine buffer and spring
2. Colt 9mm buffer, spring, and spring stop
3. TNW Aero Survival Rifle heavy buffer, heavy spring, and spring stop (notice there is a polymer buffer stop at the end of the spring, hard to see)
4. TNW Aero Survival Pistol air buffer, spring, and guide rod (attached to screw-in QD socket)

Link Posted: 6/7/2015 1:13:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Wow! Great info. Appreciate the effort!
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
From left to right:
1. AR-15 carbine buffer and spring
2. Colt 9mm buffer, spring, and spring stop
3. TNW Aero Survival Rifle heavy buffer, heavy spring, and spring stop (notice there is a polymer buffer stop at the end of the spring, hard to see)
4. TNW Aero Survival Pistol air buffer, spring, and guide rod (attached to screw-in QD socket)

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k234/jgs9455/ARFCOM/IMG_2097.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for posting this.

Can you by any chance tell us what the TWN Pistol vs Carbine buffer weights are?
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry i didnt weigh them
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Interesting.

Looks like you have to thread the barrel yourself?

Also, do these take Gen 3 or 4 Glock mags?
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#30]
TNW offers a barrel threading option when you order from them.
Should take all generation Glock magazines - sub compact, compact, full size, extended, and drums.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 3:15:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Since I got a stock ASP I had my barrel threaded locally to 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#32]
OK,  I want one.  Any body know a good place to buy one at?  I see them on gunbroker.

I'm looking at this 45 FDE Pistol on GB.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=489996643  

Let me know if there a better deal some where else.

Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK,  I want one.  Any body know a good place to buy one at?  I see them on gunbroker.

View Quote

That's a good price. I don't know of any better deals than that. I paid a little more than that for mine off GB.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#34]
I ordered mine directly from TNW with all 3 barrels (threaded), both size lowers, rails, and 2 extra bolt carriers (so I don't have to swap bolt heads). They threw in the survival backpack to keep it all organized.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks who I bought mine from. After I contacted the seller, he initiated a distribution agreement with TNW and have since listed quite a few on GB.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:24:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Anybody put some serious use and abuse on this thing? Im concerned about the barrel coming unscrewed anf also the overall function. Anybody went the route of buying a ASR and cutting it down after the stamp?
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#37]
The spring loaded detent seem to hold the barrel nut in place for me, but I have at most shot 500rds in one session and even then it was using various suppressors. So I always verified the barrel nut whenever I screwed on a different can to make sure I didn't untightened it while handling the cans.

Don't remembering ever have felt it was lose though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:51:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Aero Survival Rifle - Buffer Systems
https://youtu.be/6kUHUDYJIm0
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 7:39:28 PM EDT
[#39]
10mm prototype testing
https://youtu.be/p9rQXau7wYQ
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#40]
So in preparation for a Form1, I ordered the heavy buffer, heavy buffer spring and buffer stop described in the post earlier in this thread from TNW together with a Shock wave pistol buffer tube from KAK.
I put a note in the order form, indicating what I wanted to accomplished and lady from TNW called me before fulfilling the order, ensuring be these where the correct parts and wondered if I wanted to add their buffer tube and stock to the order.

I received the parts over the weekend and found the following:

1. The Buffer is heavier than the Pistol buffer.
2. The spring is substantially stronger than the old spring.
3. The Spring does not fit freely over the buffer, making me wonder how well the spring will move over the buffer as it compresses.
4. Once I assembled the the buffer/spring/stopper in the KAK pistol tube (I verified it is the same length as the regular buffer tubes I have on my ARs) and attached it to the receiver, I could not lock the bolt back as the bolt handle was well in front of the bolt lock by the time the buffer bottomed out. So i unscrewed the tube again and locked the bolt back before I screwed on the tube, screwing it it on until it bottomed out, unscrewing it and rescrewing it a  few times to make sure the spring was moving on the buffer, and back it off a little to allow the bolt to completely clear the ejection port, and tightened down the castle nut there. At this point the buffer tub was not screwed in as far as I would have liked it, but it seem sturdy. I would still really liked to have it screw further in.

5. The amount of force required to pull the bolt back as substantially higher that the original spring/bolt combo, to the point it was hard to lock back the bolt in a casual motion.

Before this change, I have not had any feed related issues since getting the gun, with the exception of aluminum cased ammo that the extractor bit into the soft casing and held on to it causing it to stay in the bolt, rather than ejecting. All Steel and Brass cased ammo I have tried in 115, 124 and 147 gr have other wise fed flawless.

After the change I fired about 110 rounds of 147gr Freedom Munition  ammo plus 1 or 2 rounds of 115gr I happened to have loose in the range bag.
I was using the same KCI 15rd the gun came with as well as 3 33rd "Korean" mags from CDNN that I have used in the gun since I got it.  
The ammo was from a batch where I have fired about 500rds from these same magazines, both suppressed and un-suppressed, never experiencing any issues.

I experienced several stove piped (at least 5-6) in various stages of of both magazine sizes.

The purpose of this change was to make sure I can get the gun running reliably with a standard buffer tube before filing a form 1 to SBR it.

While the KAK buffer tube have a whole in the rear end, potentially allowing me to attach a guide rod and using the original buffer and spring, once I would SBR it, it would like to be able to use any standard size tube/stock combination.

Have anyone else made this conversion? If so, what was your experience? Did you do anything to increase the reliability.
I don't know if it will go away once the spring gets a bit broken in, but as it currently sits, I'm not a happy camper.
The buffer spring combination does not seem like a good fit with the rest of the gun. I'm wondering if they made changes to the bolt when they changed the buffer dimensions, making the bolt shorter or something.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:13:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Your post needs a picture so we can see which buffer tube you had and what you moved to.
Did you see my earlier post with multiple types of ASR buffer systems? Which ones do you have?
I went from the ASP pistol buffer system to the heavy buffer in my ASR SBR.
I have not used the KAK. Thei ASP pistol usues a special kind of tube with a thread in base.
ASR uses commercial buffer tubes, but I am running mine with a milspec tube on 9mm/40 S&W/45 ACP just fine.

Not sure why they made it so difficult with multiple buffer setups, but you may need to call TNW.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#42]
I will post some pictures tonight when I get home, but to my knowledge, unlike the ASR, the ASP has only had one type of buffer system, the one indicated on the image posted in a previous post, with a small diameter buffer spring using a guide rod.
I'm going to try to pick up a piece of dowle to compress the 2 buffer systems until they bottom out and mark the dowle to display the differces in the buffer allowed travel, which I think is the cause of the problems as it, together with the strong spring, returns the bolt faster than the previous buffer system.

They are offering 2 springs on their website, which one did you end up using?
I ended up with the heavy spring rate.
I may just need to shoot it a few more times to break in the spring, but one of the issues for me is the fact that I can't screw in the tube further than approximately 1/4 inch into the receiver, or I won't be able to lock the bolt back. The KAK tube is exactly the same length as a UTG PRO milspec dimmed tube I pulled off one of my ARs to compare. I didn't measure it , but held them up side by side. Not having a form 1 yet, I didn't want to put it on the gun to test if the buffer could be compressed any further in that tube. Being that the pistol tube are rounded on the outside, it may be that it has an internal rounding as well, preventing the spring from seating all the way at the bottom. I'll be sure to look for that tonight as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#43]
I belive in the TNW buffer video linked above he advised 4 turns for buffer tube install.

I went with the heavy buffer and heavy spring in a 7075 mil spec buffer tube.
If you compare a 7075 mil spec tube with the UTG PRO, you will see some differences.
A DPMS commercial tube gives you even more headroom (and prob why TNW uses commercial spec).
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#44]
So a commercial tube is longer? Or is it just the angled back you are referring to? All my ARs have milspec tubes so I can swap my stocks around if I want to test out different ones. The UTG one was just one that I took off because its convenient on a .22 carbine. I assumed they keep the length standard though but it wouldn't have mattered as the .22 isn't using the buffer tube. KAKs website doesn't list any details on length: http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/lower-parts/buffer-tubes-and-parts/pistol-buffer-tubes/shockwave-tube

I going to see how far the 4 turns will give me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks like the .357 Sig and 10mm are official... still no word on the .22
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/29/aero-survival-rifle-10mm-357-sig/
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Looks like the .357 Sig and 10mm are official... still no word on the .22
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/09/29/aero-survival-rifle-10mm-357-sig/
View Quote

That article was what got me interested the Aero - I've always thought the .357 Sig was missing its true calling, as a PDW-esque round. With an 8" barrel, you're going 1600 FPS, so it's pretty flat-shooting.

Anyone know if the .45 ACP model is rated to handle .45 Super? It speeds along at 1200 FPS out of a 5" barrel, so something longer ought to really get it moving. I'd most likely get the 9mm model, as ammo is more sensibly priced - but a subgun sized package launching big bullets is still appealing.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 5:47:27 PM EDT
[#47]
You'd have to contact TNW Firearms on the .45 Super. I doubt it, but they have done special requests.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You'd have to contact TNW Firearms on the .45 Super. I doubt it, but they have done special requests.
View Quote

Just did. They'll probably say no, I expect higher pressure ammo in a blowback can cause issues if it's not made to handle the job. It would make more sense I'm sure to get a 9mm version, and later get the kit to upgrade it to 10mm or 357 sig.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 12:52:03 AM EDT
[#49]
Think the Mech Tech can handle .45" Super.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 2:37:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Updates? Thinking about getting one
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top