Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/6/2014 9:38:21 AM EDT
Has anyone gotten the new Citadel 9mm carbine and can provide informative comments? I'm very interested but cannot find any reviews that have more than marketing info. I'd like more in-depth info before making the plunge.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Has anyone gotten the new Citadel 9mm carbine and can provide informative comments? I'm very interested but cannot find any reviews that have more than marketing info. I'd like more in-depth info before making the plunge.
View Quote

You are not alone. I too have been waiting to hear back. LGS got four of these in and sold them within a few days. Now I see they have them in stock. My suspicion is that some jumped on them as soon as they came out but that many are waiting to see how they hold up. If you recall they brought out the .22 version a couple of years back and it was a major POS.

I looked at one when they had the first batch and all I can say is, while I am a big PCC fan with lots of 9mm carbine, I walked away from this one. Maybe its a personal thing. Maybe I compare it to my Marlin Camp 9 which is so much better made and stone reliable. Maybe I didn't like that plastic they made so many of the parts out of. Maybe I didn't like that little kid short stock they put on it. Maybe I didn't like that operating system that doesn't look like the original (operating arms running down both sides of the blow back bolt).

I like that it uses Beretta 92 series magazines and that it has the appearance of a M-1 carbine. I guess the price is OK also. After I get past that the negatives start coming into play. Perhaps if I didn't already have a great collection of well made and 100% reliable 9mm PCC firearms I might see this thing differently. Meanwhile I am sitting back and waiting to see how this thing pans out. Real world.....not fluffy magazine praise from people who had one donated to them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#3]
None of my distributors have ever shown one in stock.  I want to get one for the shop, so I can play with it, but that's hard to do if there's none to acquire.  I'm intrigued by its ability to fit in any standard M1 Carbine stock--as this thing in M1A1 guise would be a helluva traveling gun.
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 10:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
None of my distributors have ever shown one in stock.  I want to get one for the shop, so I can play with it, but that's hard to do if there's none to acquire.  I'm intrigued by its ability to fit in any standard M1 Carbine stock--as this thing in M1A1 guise would be a helluva traveling gun.
View Quote

Here you go, and with free shipping to your LGS:

9mm M-1 Carbine
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

9mm M-1 Carbine

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

9mm M-1 Carbine

If one shop has to buy from another shop at retail, that means they have to sell that item above retail to make a profit.  Not my shop's game

Thanks, though.
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I joined just to reply to this because I did a lot of research and found little info on the Citadel M1-9 Carbine.  I bought one, and fired it over the past two days.  It's easier to just point you to the review I did this afternoon.  http://usguntimes.com/review-of-citadel-m1-9-carbine/

Overall, I'd buy it again, though it has some issues.  The most important thing is that it fired everything I put in it.  However, see my photo and comments about the Beretta Magazines.  I'm not sure if my 92s were common, but  they didn't work, though they fit and locked in just fine.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If one shop has to buy from another shop at retail, that means they have to sell that item above retail to make a profit.  Not my shop's game

Thanks, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm M-1 Carbine

Thanks, though.

NO, you find someone (FFL) local who does transfers and have it sent to them. Your shop does NOT buy if from this shop. Where I live you pay $15 to $25 bucks for doing the form and they sign it over to you. Where are you in Kentucky? Keenes, a.k.a. KY Gun Company in Bardstown has them. Give them a call and go pick one up. Or, as mentioned, if you are too far away just fine a local FFL holder who does transfers. They make no mark-up on it, just pay them for the paperwork.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

NO, you find someone (FFL) local who does transfers and have it sent to them. Your shop does NOT buy if from this shop. Where I live you pay $15 to $25 bucks for doing the form and they sign it over to you. Where are you in Kentucky? Keenes, a.k.a. KY Gun Company in Bardstown has them. Give them a call and go pick one up. Or, as mentioned, if you are too far away just fine a local FFL holder who does transfers. They make no mark-up on it, just pay them for the paperwork.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm M-1 Carbine

Thanks, though.

I may be mistaken, but I think he is saying that he is an FFL/shop himself. None of his distributors have any in stock for him to order and check out before selling to a customer.

But I too am very interested in this gun, but will also wait for some more reviews. Would definitely like to know how factory Beretta mags work too before I would jump on one. Would definitely make a nice compact package with a folding stock and threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:11:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  I joined just to reply to this because I did a lot of research and found little info on the Citadel M1-9 Carbine.  I bought one, and fired it over the past two days.  It's easier to just point you to the review I did this afternoon.  http://usguntimes.com/review-of-citadel-m1-9-carbine/

Overall, I'd buy it again, though it has some issues.  The most important thing is that it fired everything I put in it.  However, see my photo and comments about the Beretta Magazines.  I'm not sure if my 92s were common, but  they didn't work, though they fit and locked in just fine.
View Quote

Welcome to ARFCOM, good review, and excellent first post.  Got any Legos?

forever4, one of the reasons they put fake oprods on both sides of the action was to add mass to the blowback bolt, to keep the action from opening too quickly.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:51:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I went to a Legacy Sports shoot, I work for one of the companies they own, and got a chance to put a magazine through it with a few other guys from the company. Overall opinion of it was favorable and most people got back in line to shoot again. Within a few hours we had probably put several thousand rounds through the rifle. After that much rounds I guess it started getting sluggish, I didn't notice anything, but some of the LSI guys started yelling about how it is dry and dirty and needs CLP. I was one of the first guys to shoot it so it wasn't that dirty or warm, I personally to my knowledge was the only one to have issues, first round got stuck going up the feedramp, last round stove piped. It was standard FMJ 9mm. Like I said, most guys walked away feeling as though they wanted one, I personally was less than impressed. I guess in my mind it is just a cheap knockoff of a real fighting rifle. IMO the synthetic stock is ugly and feels weird.

I am sure they will run fine if you guys decide to buy one. I am sure most guys will enjoy it. I haven't shot a lot of pistol caliber rifles, but I've sold quite a few. There are a lot of them out there that are better buys IMO than this. The biggest advantage this thing has it is cheap and mags are everywhere.

Hope that helped someone.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I may be mistaken, but I think he is saying that he is an FFL/shop himself. None of his distributors have any in stock for him to order and check out before selling to a customer.

But I too am very interested in this gun, but will also wait for some more reviews. Would definitely like to know how factory Beretta mags work too before I would jump on one. Would definitely make a nice compact package with a folding stock and threaded barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

9mm M-1 Carbine

Thanks, though.

Correct.

I do find it interesting that several mainline distributors haven't had them in stock/haven't for a while.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 2:06:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I joined just to reply to this because I did a lot of research and found little info on the Citadel M1-9 Carbine.  I bought one, and fired it over the past two days.  It's easier to just point you to the review I did this afternoon.  http://usguntimes.com/review-of-citadel-m1-9-carbine/

View Quote

Thanks for the link to the review, good info for anyone seriously looking at one. And great tips on breaking one down, never understood why some mfgs don't bother providing that info. Interesting post on the difference in the factory vs Beretta mag followers, that sounds like it's going to cause some issues.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 12:49:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm M-1 Carbine

Thanks, though.

My bad!   I was in a hurry speeding by and didn't catch the full drift.   Sorry!

Don't know why some distributors don't have them. They come through Legacy Sports and from there? Your the FFL, give them a call.

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:06:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Years ago I saw a promo release on the firearm blog and that was it. Never seen any reviews or even knew they were out in the wild I assumed they were canned and the 22 way the only one released. Feels like they are pulling a kel tec on us.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks to Forever4, jimkimmons, and 556nato for their info. I was excited about the Citadel but now not so much. Now thinking Beretta CX4, Ruger PC9, or perhaps a 9mm AR pistol.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Take a look @ the HiPoint.  Well, don't look @ IT - look @ the price.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Take a look @ the HiPoint.  Well, don't look @ IT - look @ the price.  
View Quote

If High Point took Glock mags I would consider it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Take a look @ the HiPoint.  Well, don't look @ IT - look @ the price.  

The .45" will take 1911 mags, but you have to replace the mag release w/ an aftermarket one.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:06:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  If Hi-Point carbines took full capacity Glock mags (and still ran as reliably as they do now with their proprietary ones) they couldn't build them fast enough to keep up with the demand.  
View Quote

Well, that's the issue Kel-Tec has.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 4:22:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I have the High Point 995TS, the Kel-Tec Sub9, and the Beretta Storm CX-4 (and some others). The Beretta is the best built and has given me years of flawless service. Its light, compact and has easy to get mags including 30 rounders.  The Hi-Point is cheap but works great only lacking mags over 15 rounds if that is important to you.  Then there is the JRC and the TNW that both take the Glock mags.

There are lots of choices out there...pick the flavor that suits you best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top