Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2013 2:44:27 AM EDT
I am looking for the advice of those who have either one or both of these for help.

I am looking to pick up a 9mm carbine, and i have gotten down to these two choices...  I thought about bilding a 9mm AR15, but the cost quickly topped $1,000, and i can get the JRC for $700, and the Suomi for $450 from centerfire.

I am not a Glock guy, so will have to buy a new stach of mags for the JRC, and obviously would have to buy mags for the Suomi as well, but substantially cheaper than Glock mags.

I like the cheaper price of the Suomi, and thr savings woudl allow me to stock up on mags and a few drums easily, as well as some ammo.  I have read both good and bad reviews on both guns, and was hoping to have some first hand experiences form the masses to help sway my decision.  I like the Suomi for it's history and classic look, and the JRC for the AR15 modularity and ability to easily customize.  I just seem to be bouncing back and forth with which to buy.....Pictures are a plus as well.

Thanks all.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2013 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#1]
When you hear from the owners and users you will continue to hear both good and bad about each. I have five or six 9mm PCC and to be honest, my Beretta Strom is the best over all. Each of the ones you name has its positives but from my experience I would probably take the JR over the two. The other is a heavy SOB...but that is just my take on it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 6:23:33 AM EDT
[#2]
If you like the jrc carbine but do not like the price why not
the TNW aero survival carbine or asc

Seen them for 495 to 600
Link Posted: 6/18/2013 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I was looking into this myself when I decided to get the TNW Suomi. The price can't be beat for what you get and magazines and drums are pretty cheap for it. I was able to get 2 drums and a stick mag with it and local shops had additional mags for $19.00 a piece. It is well made and heavy, the barrel is like new but if you wanted a second barrel they are around $40.00 and very easy to change. There is no recoil to this thing, it's like shooting a HEAVY .22. If you are a reloader you can customize ammo for it, granting components start showing up again. If you get one, research how to disassemble/reassemble it well. The rear cap can be a bear to put back on. TNW parkerized everything and that kind of holds up the trigger pack or fire control group (gritty) but with lots of oil mine cleaned up nice, they come dry as a bone and will need oil. One thing to remember, do not engage the safety without FIRST cocking the gun or it will jam up the bolt and you will have to drop the fire control group to unjam it. Since the original was made to be open bolt that wasn't a problem but when converted to closed bolt it has that problem. I didn't want to spend a lot on a range toy and this really fit the bill. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#4]
And still yet, the Beretta Storm in 9mm with teh 92 series mags is still looming over my head, i keep looking at that one, and really hate to spend that much on a "Range Toy" but i keep telling myself that i can double it as a HD weapon as well.  It does getawesome reviews, but by the time i grab it, and a few of the 20 round mags, and then the SierraPapa trigger group, i'm into it for $1100, and that just seems crazy, but my inner cheapo is trying to take over.  I wish prices weren't in panic mode right now, it's making my decision harder.  For some reason the thought of a Shuff's Mini-G is easier to rationalize than the CX4, but that's a whole different topic.

Thanks, and keep the advice coming guys.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the suomi last year and its been reliable, and heavy! Trigger sucks, but its pretty accurate. Also not easy to put any kind of optic on. A couple years ago I bought a double diamond dedicaded 9mm lower and put a cmmg upper on it for around $900, and it shoots good but not much better than the suomi ,half the weight but double the price. I say their a good range toy but I'd hate to have carry it on the move.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
build your own suomi like I did! But most of all you need to understand that a suomi is not a modern firearm... its heavy as hell, the manual of arms sucks (why must the charging handle hit my hand?) its heavy, the trigger sucks, and did I mention its heavy as hell?
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 1:35:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I own 6 PCC's, including the the Suomi M31. If you are looking for a modern PCC, the Suomi M31 is not going to fit the bill. If you like historical first generation SMG's the M31 is about as cool as they get though even in its neutered semi form.

Heavy and as a Garand, made with great Finnish craftsmanship old school forged and milled built at the old Tikka factory. Some of the old wood stocks on these Finnish guns have amazing grain patterns too BTW. The Russians were so impressed with the M31 that they made their own version called the PPSh-41.

That said the TNW semi M31 can run cheap drums and stick mags which are still easy to find, (numrich still has them). Terrible trigger pull due to the semi conversion (but can be lightened) and they shoot very accurately for a sub gun.

I say get both, if you are like me you won't stop with one PCC anyway.

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a TNW-made Suomi from Centerfire.  The welds are ugly, and the milled parts are rough.  The internals were full of metal shavings. The surplus-sourced parts are nice, but the new manufacture portions of the gun look like some kid's highschool shop class project.  Trying to engage their support people to get parts that work (broken extractor, iffy sear right out of the box) is like herding cats.  Going on three months now and still no RMA, even after multiple offers to forego any kind of warranty claim and just pay for the parts and gunsmithing.  For the cost of the rifle and what I'm going to have to spend on local third-party gunsmithing to get it working right, I could have bought a JustRight carbine or a Beretta CX4.  TNW is on my "Never Again" list.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 5:33:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to change my vote here. I have been spending more time with my JRC and comparing it side-by-side with my other PCC's.  The JRC has become my most favorite. While I love all of them for what they are, the JRC is the one to shoot when you are burning a lot of ammo. Why?  Its a nice weight...not too heavy, not so light it kicks much. Its accurate, if feeds out of my cheap Korean mags as well as factory Glocks. It seems not to be ammo sensitive.

I still have my Beretta Storm, which I got when they first came out, and like it. But the JRC just does the job. It has a nice trigger, uses AR furniture and trigger parts, and it is well made.   Love it!  As for that $450 museum piece....nice toy but you get what you pay for........it you want a shooter get the JRC.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#10]
hipoint 9mm carbine?
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:40:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
hipoint 9mm carbine?
View Quote

Got one of those too. Got my first one back in the '90's when they hit the market. Now have a 995TS. Why own one? Because for a little over $200 you can have a PCC that works 100% and is accurate. Match that.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#12]
In my younger days I lusted in my heart after a Thompson and a Soumi.  Then I got to handle them.  Heavy as heck.  The Thompson with a fully loaded drum comes in close to 18 pounds.  The Soumi weights something like 11 pounds empty.  Both are fine firearms, but their day has passed.  If you want a bit of history and can afford one, by all means go for it.  If you want a shooter go for the Just Right Carbine.  Or even a Hi-Point.  I have owned both and enjoyed shooting both.  But they are now out of the state and I hope to follow withing the next year or so.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top