Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2012 5:54:41 PM EDT
RANT:
In November I had, against my better judgement, placed an order with Century for their Sterling Carbine optic rails. They were priced at $21 apiece, so I ordered two. Then I find out that you have to order a minimum of $75 of merchandise if you're not an FFL or they tack on a $75 "small order fee" to your bill. I was about to say "fuck it", but I couldn't find the rails anywhere else so I ordered a few other random items to cover the difference. It ended up totaling $90 with shipping. For two cheap rails.

Then I find out that I have to fax them an FFL waiver since I wasn't a dealer . So I printed it out, signed it and sent it in. A few days pass, and nothing happens. I call back, and they can't find it, so I send it again to a second address.

Then a week passes with no confirmation of order, shipping, etc. So I call back. The rails are fucking OUT OF STOCK. The customer service rep tells me "about a month", so, like a moron, I put the order on hold until they come in.

I hear nothing for weeks, and today I call in to check. They somehow lost my FFL waiver again. After sitting on hold, they find it at last, and inform me that the rails are STILL out of stock, but should be coming in "maybe a month and a half". I canceled the order.

Serves me right. I was an idiot to think that ANYTHING at Century functions without jamming.

PROJECT:
I dug around and found an old $12 plastic ProMag rail, cut it down to length, put a washer on each screw, and BINGO. Instant optic rail. It's a little ugly, I suppose, if you're one of those "form over function" types. I guess you could always get an aluminum rail and do the same thing.

Tightened down, it's very solid and I don't believe it will shift at all on a 9mm gun. The only caveat is, make sure it's on straight prior to reassembling the gun, otherwise you have to tear it apart again.

The gun is a Wiselite, and is VERY accurate and reliable. I have used the 34rd Sterling mags, as well as the 31(?)rd Sten mags with zero issues. The Stens run great, but are assholes to load. I was lucky enough to find a spring-loaded Sten loader at a show, and believe it is an absolute necessity. I plan to SBR it at some point.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You did good. I don't think much of Century Arms but that is just me. Sounds like they have lived up to my low expectations of them once more.

Good Job!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a Mid West Industries rail on my Sterling the nuts they have fit perfectly into the holes in the shroud.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I used a Mid West Industries rail on my Sterling the nuts they have fit perfectly into the holes in the shroud.

Cool! Have pics?
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 11:50:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I can take some this weekend if I remember.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top