Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2011 10:49:10 PM EDT
Hey folks. I recently assembled a 9mm AR for dad. He's been shooting subgun matches with it for fun. I really enjoyed the 9mm carbine when I helped him test it. I'm considering attending these matches with him when possible.

I'm thinking a 9mm carbine would be a fun/cheap plinker, a great gun for recoil averse new shooters and might be fun to employ at a subgun/pistol caliber carbine match. Ideally I'd get an Uzi, since of all the sub guns I've shot, that was my favorite. But, that will be out of my budget for a long time. The sterling looks like it would be a fun alternative. I'm curious as to how accurate/reliable both the 9mm and 7.62 tokarev versions are. As a broke college student, the tokarev looks particularly appealing.
Link Posted: 4/21/2011 3:31:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the 9mm and love it. I've had too many guns converted from auto to semi and one caliber to another. The 9mm was made to be auto and converted to semi as was the 7.62x25,  but then the 7.62 was converted again. My 9mm has fed great with the sterling mags. If I knew that the 7.62 fed as well, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Too many companies produce guns that really don't work well.
Link Posted: 4/22/2011 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I have the 9mm and love it. I've had too many guns converted from auto to semi and one caliber to another. The 9mm was made to be auto and converted to semi as was the 7.62x25,  but then the 7.62 was converted again. My 9mm has fed great with the sterling mags. If I knew that the 7.62 fed as well, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Too many companies produce guns that really don't work well.

not true, there are only 4 which made sterling clones

Sterling but they are really pricey I bought mine for $1300 recently

Wiselite arms which makes the ones with the skinney barrel, fire pin breaks, sight welded on canted, some have problems

Masterpiece which makes the type II (long barrel shroud) front sight is a little too high needs to be cut down at bit, but mine is very accurate and reliable.

I forget the other maker he made them in oregon decades ago, but stopped due to his wife passing away. He made a few. I never owned one so cannot tell the quality.

I have not tried the 7.62x25 version but if it is made by Wiselite arms, expect problems.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:02:43 AM EDT
[#3]
BTW

mounting a scope or red dot on a sterling is a problem, also with the uzi.

if you really want a uzi, wait a little century will be making them soon.

if you really want to go cheap get a hi-point, have never seen a review from an actual owner who did not like it
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Wiselite Sterling, it's running great! Thousands of rounds through it and very reliable.
No problems with the sights and firing pin, I think for the thousands sold... very few are having problems. They did admit to an issue with firing pin hardening process. The have just finished a new batch of firing pins, for those that had problems or want to pick up a spare firing pin.
Mounting an optic to an UZI is easy. I just picked up a few extra dust covers for my UZIs and bolted some rails to them for my AimPoint.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't intend to own optics for the immediate future, and I like irons, so optics mounting isn't a problem. Although it might be fun if I decide to attend halloween parties as an imperial storm trooper.

ETA: On my 21st birthday, it looks like dad is going to give me his G21SF which I've "claimed" as my own for all things practical pistol. I think I'm going to seriously consider this after I see how much a holster/night sights set me back, and if I can get some summer employment.

Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
BTW

mounting a scope or red dot on a sterling is a problem, also with the uzi.

if you really want a uzi, wait a little century will be making them soon.

if you really want to go cheap get a hi-point, have never seen a review from an actual owner who did not like it

Solve the Uzi problem by getting another top cover ($15 or less) and mounting your red dot to that.

BTW Century has been churning out Uzi's for about eight months. But why on earth would you get a Century Uzi when for less $$$ you can get a Vector?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 3:37:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I did contact Wise lite about a spare firing pin but haven't heard back yet. Is there another source for one?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 8:08:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I just talked to Wiselite. They didn't seem to be aware of firing pin problems. I ordered one anyway and it was 28.00 and that included shipping. Their phone # 1-940-433-8013.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm curious, is surplus 7.62x25 still available? I can't seem to find it at the usual places.

If it is, I'm thinking I might try and get one of these if finances allow. Otherwise, I'll probably opt for the 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm curious, is surplus 7.62x25 still available? I can't seem to find it at the usual places.

If it is, I'm thinking I might try and get one of these if finances allow. Otherwise, I'll probably opt for the 9mm.

A friend just bought a bunch from J&G, it was the only place that had any.  Another ourfit that more will be in country soon but would not say what kind or when.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top