Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2011 1:34:25 PM EDT
What would you recommend for a 30 something caliber carbine for a suppressor platform?  I have a 77/44 bolt and 45LC Carbine single that have been hushed, but are spendy to shoot.  I'd like a 9mm or so that is a bolt or single shot that can be threaded for a can as ammo is cheaper and more readily available than 44Special and 45LC.  What can you say on this type of host?  Just a T/C or H&R w/custom barrel? No semi-auto  as they arent very quiet. Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I would do a handi rifle, gives you lots of options with factory rebarreling to diff calibers
Link Posted: 1/12/2011 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#2]
T/C or Handi Rifle are easy to swap barrels, and can be had in easy-to-suppress calibers.  

You could look around for a Spanish Destroyer, bolt-action carbine.  They come in 9mm Largo, but can be rechambered to 9x19.
Other options would be to shoot .38s through a .357 a lever-action rifle.

Link Posted: 1/13/2011 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#3]
no bolt 9mm? A spanish Destroyer would be a find.  Will 38 Special factory ammo stay subsonic in a T/C or levergun barrel or just have to reload them like 357?
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 3:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Will 38 Special factory ammo stay subsonic in a T/C or levergun barrel or just have to reload them like 357?

I imagine some .38+p may go supersonic in a long barrel, but the ammo I was shooting in the videos above was standard pressure factory stuff, and it was staying subsonic.
Link Posted: 1/13/2011 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Garret, thanks.  SO I have it narrowed to a T/C or HR .357/38 or 9mm.  Does either company make the .357/38 barrel standard or is it a custom special order? I suspect any 9mm barrel from either is custom.. Otherwise I know of .357 leverguns. Will those levers feed .38 special smoothly?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:34:54 AM EDT
[#6]
H&R makes a .357/.38 standard.  I have two of them.  I've never seen an H&R in 9mm (even custom) and I hang out on an H&R forum some.  I have seen a T/C 9mm but it is custom.

My question is will a company like AAC warranty their 9mm suppressor if you shoot a .357/.38 through it.  The .357/.38 is .001 inches larger than a 9mm.

thanks,
-Kyle
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:11:18 AM EDT
[#7]
FYI, there are some semi autos that you can cut the gas off for single shot/grenade launching.  
IE, SAFN (also known as the FN49), FAL, Yugo SKS, Yugo AKM, Polish AKM, Hungrian AMD-65.

CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top