Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2017 8:31:13 PM EDT
Just poking around on the interwebs and looking at suppressed  guns. I started to wonder if anyone has ever taken on the challenge to make an integrally suppressed lever gun that would allow a full length magazine tube?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Dr. Strangelove, 1964, one world's fair a picnic and a rodeo

j/k!!  I'm having fun with you because you won my KRaZiEst question of the day award.

I've been to gunshows in the MidWest to the California since the mid-80's. Been to out-of-the-way gunshops in small towns. Seen rack fulls of lever actions in rural pawnshops.
In all that time, I've never even hear anyone talk about silencers and lever action rifles in the same sentence. I've never seen anyone even thread the barrel of a lever action for a compensator.

If you want to ask around on your own, I'd say that if there was any group of guys that would know about unusual lever guns, it would be the group over at Paco Kelly's Leverguns 
Their motto: Can you trust a man that calls himself a rifleman but does not own at least one levergun?
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJjMPHhuoXQ
j/k!!  I'm having fun with you because you won my KRaZiEst question of the day award.

I've been to gunshows in the MidWest to the California since the mid-80's. Been to out-of-the-way gunshops in small towns. Seen rack fulls of lever actions in rural pawnshops.
In all that time, I've never even hear anyone talk about silencers and lever action rifles in the same sentence. I've never seen anyone even thread the barrel of a lever action for a compensator.

If you want to ask around on your own, I'd say that if there was any group of guys that would know about unusual lever guns, it would be the group over at Paco Kelly's Leverguns 
Their motto: Can you trust a man that calls himself a rifleman but does not own at least one levergun?
View Quote
Bro you need to get out from under that rock.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Let me enlighten you some then.

Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:01:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Integrally suppressed would be neat.

Imagine a Silencer Co. Osprey that essentially starts at the lever guns receiver and continues to the full length of the barrel.

Again, it would be neat!
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Those aren't integral.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Recusance, I've got to wonder why you asked the question if you already knew the answer?
View Quote
Well, those are NOT integrally suppressed so my question STILL stands.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 1 year old form 1 for a 15 inch silencer and a rossi92 to build it on, haven't had time to do it yet.

I'm torn between putting the mag tube inside a 2 inch OD silencer or making the silencer around 1.5in with the mag tube outside.  I made a bent mag tube that feeds fine and will hang underneath a 2inch OD silencer.  

I wanted the full capacity otherwise a bolt action would be easier if you only want 3-5 round capacity.  A 16 inch mag tube will get you around 9 rounds of 38/44 special ammo, 18inch will hold 10-11 rounds.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 11:33:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those aren't integral.
View Quote
Yup, none of those pictured are integrally suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Nope, mag tube gets in the way... But you can suppress a lever gun, no problem there, as seen in the above pics.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:06:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Nope, mag tube gets in the way... But you can suppress a lever gun, no problem there, as seen in the above pics.
View Quote
Just integrally suppress a Savage 99 or Winchester 1895.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:08:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:07:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Mag tube inside the suppressor would be the ticket.

All it would require is a little imagination and someone handy with metal working tools.

I have the imagination, I just don't have the equipment.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:59:47 AM EDT
[#14]
That mag tube would get hot fast.

What temp to cook off?
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 12:13:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Teddy Roosevelt's 30-30
Not integral, but cool. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That mag tube would get hot fast.

What temp to cook off?
View Quote
And this is probably why it is not already being done.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 10:07:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

And this is probably why it is not already being done.
View Quote
At slow fire, it wouldn't be any where near temp to cook off. Were not talking a semi-auto with 30 rounds, it's a 9 round lever gun that would at best fire 9 rounds in 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#18]
The only way I see to do it would be to use an 1895 winchester. I could see a fun little package using a strait walled  cartridge shooting a 500-600 grain bullet at subsonic speeds suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The new Henry long ranger also.  Fit a barrel to make the 223 rifle shoot 300blackout.  The 308 bolt face could be rebarreled to 338 federal, 358 Winchester, etc.  maybe 450bushmaster even?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
A purpose built rifle could go a long way around that. Make the receiver taller so you locate the mag below the supressor.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#21]
I know almost nothing of sound suppressor design but is there a reason it can't be D shaped?
The osprey has the barrel mounted off center with slab sides.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 3:18:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
At slow fire, it wouldn't be any where near temp to cook off. Were not talking a semi-auto with 30 rounds, it's a 9 round lever gun that would at best fire 9 rounds in 30 seconds.
View Quote
Silencers can get really hot really fast.
A .223 is too hot to touch in two or three shots.  A 30-30 has more powder and would get hot just as fast, a .357 has less and might go longer.

If you're making it for yourself and can be sure that you'll only ever shoot subsonic .38s out of it, that's one thing.
If you're a manufacture, a gun that wears itself out when people abuse it by shooting too fast is cool because you can sell them another one.  If it explodes and takes off their arm, that's really not cool.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#23]
An integral suppressed 39a and would be sweet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#24]

I am a big fan of my Ruger 96/44 by SRT.  I already had a SRT 77/44 that I upgraded to a Douglas fast twist barrel and a SOT was going out of business and listed the SRT 96/44 for sale for less than a non-suppressed 96/44.  Added the Mossberg AOW in the picture to make it a package deal.  Then had to go home and explain to the wife how I accidentally bought two guns......
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:03:51 AM EDT
[#25]
A box magazine lever gun would work too, if someone wanted to cut up a Winchester 88 or a Browning BLR. Or a Sako Finnwolf, although I've never actually seen a Finnwolf in person.

Ever since I heard of and finally saw Roosevelt's suppressed 94, I've wanted to replicate it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#26]
The problem with box magazine lever guns is they only generally hold 3-5 rounds. You can get that with a bolt action and have a more reliable gun.  

The whole point of the lever action for me is to get the 10ish round capacity of straight wall large caliber ammo.  

A higher capacity magazine for 77/44 would sell well I think.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:16:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
A box magazine lever gun would work too, if someone wanted to cut up a Winchester 88 or a Browning BLR. Or a Sako Finnwolf, although I've never actually seen a Finnwolf in person.

Ever since I heard of and finally saw Roosevelt's suppressed 94, I've wanted to replicate it.
View Quote
Cutting up a Winchester 88 or Sako Finwolf would be sacrilege!  I'd fondled a Finwolf and own a beautiful '59 Win 88 and I believe the Win 88 is the most beautiful modern levergun every built, even better looking than the Finwolf.

My '59 Win 88 in .308 with it's beautiful stock.  It's a joy to shoot and has a beautiful action and trigger for an 88:

A far more common rifle and more suitable to the idea of a suppressed barrel levergun (like the 96/44 pictured above) would be to take a Savage 99 take-down version and find a second barrel assy to modify with a suppressor barrel.  That way you could have a stock 99 and with a simple barrel change, have a suppressed version.

My '49 EG version in 300 Savage. Hard to believe that it came out only 5 years after the Win '94:

However, if you want to duplicate TR's 94, just get any old '94, thread the muzzle, and slap one on.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#28]
The take down Model 99 with a suppressed barrel/handguard is a neat idea. Would make for a nifty set if you made up a case for the receiver, regular barrel and suppressed barrel.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fook it. Put the mag tube inside the suppressor.

eta I see somebody already thought of the same idea. Oh well, great minds and all that.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I've put my suppressor on my mossberg spx
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top