Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2017 1:34:48 PM EDT
I've settled on buying a .357 lever gun to match my revolver, but I can't decide between these two rifles.

Marlin - Used JM stamp, loading gate is convenient, lightweight is nice, fewer on the market so price keeps driving higher and higher, will probably spend $800+

Henry - Brand new, loading through the tube is not a deal breaker, weight isn't an issue, found one for $625 shipped

Is there any reason one is so much better or worse than the other?  Is there something I'm missing?
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 1:51:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've settled on buying a .357 lever gun to match my revolver, but I can't decide between these two rifles.

Marlin - Used, loading gate is convenient, lightweight is nice, fewer on the market so price keeps driving higher and higher, will probably spend $800+

Henry - Brand new, loading through the tube is not a deal breaker, weight isn't an issue, found one for $625 shipped

Is there any reason one is so much better or worse than the other?  Is there something I'm missing?
View Quote

I went through the same comparison a year ago but on a 44.  I held them both and the Henry went how with me.  Now they were both new, not sure how old the Marlin is, but the one I held felt cheap compared to the Henry.  If it's an older Marlin, the quality may be better.  The Marlin trigger was stamped vs. solid on the Henry and the wood & fit and finish was much better on the Henry.  

Sorry nothing too technical in my review, just my opinion, but I haven't regretted the decision once.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#2]
JM Marlin  
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
JM Marlin every time.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 2:56:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Marlin
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both rifles. My JM Marlin has ballard cut rifling (18 1/2" bbl). It's very accurate but very light (I shoot competitions off hand). Trigger is great on this rifle (I made it so). I have the Henry BBS 357 w/20" bbl. I like the rifling in the Henry better as the rate of twist is 1/16 vs the Marlin which is 1/38. The Henry shoulders better and feels better to me as it has a shade more weight than the Marlin. Both take the Williams receiver target sights. The Henry is also very accurate. Now, the trigger on the Henry is harder to work on than the Marlin. It depends on what you want/need in a pistol cart. rifle. If I could get the Henry trigger down to what I have in the Marlin, I'd put the Marlin away. Hope this helps. Shrps74
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I just can't stand the tube loading on the Henry's, but if you don't mind then that is a tougher choice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Funny you should mention the tube loading on the Henry...I find it easier to load than the Rossi/Winch/Marlins. All the competitions I shoot are timed...Marlin 39a's and Henry lever 22s are ALL tube load...it actually makes no difference to me...It never made any difference before I decided to by the Henry...your experience may differ. Shrps74
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 11:55:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I lucked into a JM Marlin in .38/.357 for 125$ several years ago... I wasn't even into lever guns at that point, I just knew I could flip it for a few bucks if I didn't like it.

It still lives in my safe and I absolutely love it.  Mine is a pre-safety 'Micro-groove' barrel that is an absolute laser with .357 loads.

I've had multiple offers to buy it for 1k to 1250$ on the spot from friends who've shot it... I could see a 10x return on the gun.  It remains not for sale.

Between a Henry and a JM Marlin in good shape?... there is no question. The Square Bolt Marlin is the answer.
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:51:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Since this is almost two months old, I hope you got the Henry, and spent the price difference on ammo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
there is no substitute in my opinion for a 357 lever than a jm stamped marlin. even better if you can get it pre safety. think of it more as an investment and it makes paying for one that much easier.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 2:19:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Marlin
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#12]
A JM 1894c is going to cost you an arm and two legs because JM fanatics have price gouged them so badly.

Unless you get really, REALLY lucky.

My solution? Remlin 1894 in .44 Magnum, and a Henry Big Boy in .357 Magnum.
If and when Remlin finally comes out with an 1894c .357 Magnum, then we'll see.

But I am NOT going to pay gouger prices for a Marlin.
NOT WORTH IT!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
think of it more as an investment and it makes paying for one that much easier.
View Quote
And when Remlin does come out with the 1894 .357, JM prices are going to DROP.

POOF!! Like a stock market crash.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And when Remlin does come out with the 1894 .357, JM prices are going to DROP.

POOF!! Like a stock market crash.
View Quote
People will always pay for real Marlins.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top