Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2016 10:20:56 PM EDT
Receiver and barrel rattle canned black.

Bore is in good shape as is stock.

What would you pay?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:40:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I would buy it to thread it for a can, just because.  I have a safe full of Winchester and Marlin thud thuddys, but I would go $250 if it is tight and right.   That gun ain't hurt a bit unless bubba has been inside of it too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#2]
That paint can be stripped and you could refinish the wood if you're looking to restore it and not worried about the value. In that condition, I would try and rescue it for no more than $300. Yes, that is high, but I'm a sucker for old lever actions. Heck, they might take $200 for it since they obviously don't care about it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Concur with $250-ish.

I bought a 1955 "carried in the woods every deer season, rarely shot" that was in very good condition for a little more than twice that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 2:07:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on if I know the seller.

That would be  $250-$275 gun if it has a nice bore and is clean.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 12:50:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You guys are pretty cheap.

Given the condition of the rest of the carbine and assuming the bore and action are solid, without the paint on the receiver it's still a Pre-64 Model 94 and it's potentially a $500-$600 gun once you spend a half hour stripping the paint off the receiver, assuming all the bits and pieces are original.   It won't be any less collectible once the paint is removed.

I'd certainly go $400 and look at it as a candidate for a restoration project, if not as a collector.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Given the condition of the rest of the carbine and assuming the bore and action are solid, without the paint on the receiver it's still a Pre-64 Model 94 and it's potentially a $500-$600 gun once you spend a half hour stripping the paint off the receiver, assuming all the bits and pieces are original.   It won't be any less collectible once the paint is removed.

I'd certainly go $400 a
and look at it as a candidate for a restoration project, if not as a collector.  
View Quote

I agree, I have seen them sell for $5-600 many times!
I would jump on any old Winchester for under $350 I ran across!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 7:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Got the rattle can paint job off. Stripped the stock and forend of whatever coating was on it. Did not sand either. Just applied a coat of tung oil. Here is where we are now.

Also, the bore is excellent as is the action. Appears to have been carried more than shot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 8:18:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Its already ruined so buy it cheap and fix it up.

I have my grandpa's 1945 94 and it is basically unfired.
Action is smoooooooooth
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:27:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd certainly go $400 and look at it as a candidate for a restoration project, if not as a collector.  
View Quote

I do not agree-$400 is pretty steep for a project gun even if the bore is perfect . Paint might strip off but Bubba might have gone all crazy with sandpaper or a sandblaster before he painted also.

In my neck of the woods (where Winchesters go pretty high) if the action is tight and the bore is good that is a $250 shooter at most gunshops and $175 from a friend.
If that age gun was in overall good condition , yes , it could be $500+ but that ship has sailed. Got to guess the finish was pretty bad to get a paint job
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Finally took her out shooting today. Dead on target at 60yds plinking clay targets.

Here are a couple of better pics after the paint was removed and tung oil applied.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top