Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2016 2:00:26 PM EDT
Just got this.. for a great price.. usually they go for 1k+.. got it for 825 OTD.

Comes with factory skinner sights, .44mag, barrel is D&T for additional optics. Great fit and finish compared to what i have seen with Rossi (i know different price bracket). Also, it doesn't have a blasted cross bolt safety, or anything that takes away from John Browning's original design.

Smooth and silk out of the box. Due to the cold and work i've only fired perhaps 30 rds through it and hit what i was aiming at due to the wonderful peep sight.  It's quickly becoming my go to lever gun. The chiappa weights only about 5.5lbs, and is relatively short with its 16in barrel. Extremely handy, when you pick it up; and well balanced.

Oh and the wood grain is beautiful..

Ok now for the pics.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#1]

That's really nice...of course, now I want one real bad...sigh.

I'd be awful tempted to put a tang sight on it, but only because of aging eyes that were never that great to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 2:13:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'd be awful tempted to put a tang sight on it, but only because of aging eyes that were never that great to begin with.
View Quote

my eyes are crap.. and the front fiber optic matched with the large aperture of a skinner makes it easy to pick up and get a clear sight picture.
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

my eyes are crap.. and the front fiber optic matched with the large aperture of a skinner makes it easy to pick up and get a clear sight picture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doh!

Didn't even see the fiber optic front...if they make them in .45 Colt I'm doomed to another month of ramen and sriracha.

Link Posted: 1/20/2016 5:53:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Doh!

Didn't even see the fiber optic front...if they make them in .45 Colt I'm doomed to another month of ramen and sriracha.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doh!

They do ;) they make it in 44mag / 45c / .357.

The easiest to find is 44/45c. I would have went 45c.. but it was about 1k.. this one was only 8bills, that and a i have a uberti 1866 in 45c.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Beutiful,  I would love one in .45lc.  They do seem to go for around 1k,  in your opinion is it worth full price?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#6]
May I ask why .45 Colt is preferable to .44 Mag.?  Or it is just a nostalgia thing?

I honestly don't know.  The .44 Mag's ballistic superiority is what drives my question.

ETA - the gun is beautiful.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Beutiful,  I would love one in .45lc.  They do seem to go for around 1k,  in your opinion is it worth full price?
View Quote

yes, considering the other alternative is winchester made out of japan which go for over 1.3-1.5k

Like i said you can find these on sale at times.. i paid 820 OTD for the one pictured.

As for ammo.. .45 c folks like it.. but for this configuration i would take a .44 mag / .357 mag over it and leave the .45c for the 1873.

The only reason i say i would have went .45c is because i have a TON of ammo for it.. and like 5+ guns that are chambered in it. In .44 mag i only have a 29-2.. now this.. but lax ammo reloads for it and its reasonable.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
May I ask why .45 Colt is preferable to .44 Mag.?  Or it is just a nostalgia thing?

I honestly don't know.  The .44 Mag's ballistic superiority is what drives my question.

View Quote

Why .45 Colt?

Because I already have a wide assortment of reloading gear and supplies in .45 Colt...and when properly handloaded in a strong action, the .45 Colt can easily equal anything the .44 Mag can do.

And because of the nostalgia thing, too.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:42:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, its a nice old west caliber.. but surprising no lever guns were ever chambered into it until modern reporductions.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Very nice, love the wood on this one. A 92 trapper is just so handy.  I have a stainless Rossi 92 Trapper and have killed a few hogs with it.  The only thing handier fits in a holster.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:36:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I am eyeing one of these, but my only beef is that the rear sight sits at an angle due to the taper of the barrel.
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Alaskan model with a the chrome and rubberized stocks in 44mag with a 20" barrel.  Like the look of yours better.  I think these are good guns.  I like the lack of useless safeties and the inclusion of good sights.  And while they are too pricey, to get better materials and craftsmanship you have to get one of the rifles made in Japan and those are even more expensive.  Especially after you include the cost of decent sights.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#13]
decided to ditch the Skinner.. under recoil and additional shooting sessions i think i would like a red dot better. I am  going with a weaver mounted Vortex Optics Sparc II . Ill post pictures when i get it together.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
WOW! That's a beautiful rifle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
WOW! That's a beautiful rifle.
View Quote

Thanks weptek, nice to see you around. its been a while.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
decided to ditch the Skinner.. under recoil and additional shooting sessions i think i would like a red dot better. I am  going with a weaver mounted Vortex Optics Sparc II . Ill post pictures when i get it together.
View Quote

That's a shame as the Model 92 has great lines and balance and adding a dot sight just screws it all up.  

I'm also not a fan of the skinner sight, but I'm a big fan of the tang sight on the Model 1892.  You gain another 9" of sight radius, and the tang sight allows much faster acquisition and re-acquisition of the target under recoil as it's much closer to your eye.  Use  large aperture in a tang sight and you'll find short range target acquisition is much faster, and long range shooting will be much more precise.   In low light or at very close range, you can leave the aperture out entirely and use the sight as ghost ring.  

----

You also need to add a strip of 3/16" wide leather to your saddle ring. Put a larks head knot around the ring with the cross over on top with the ring laying to the rear and it will prevent contact between the ring and the receiver, and it will look nice.  

Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:23:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's a shame as the Model 92 has great lines and balance and adding a dot sight just screws it all up.  

I'm also not a fan of the skinner sight, but I'm a big fan of the tang sight on the Model 1892.  You gain another 9" of sight radius, and the tang sight allows much faster acquisition and re-acquisition of the target under recoil as it's much closer to your eye.  Use  large aperture in a tang sight and you'll find short range target acquisition is much faster, and long range shooting will be much more precise.   In low light or at very close range, you can leave the aperture out entirely and use the sight as ghost ring.  

----

You also need to add a strip of 3/16" wide leather to your saddle ring. Put a larks head knot around the ring with the cross over on top with the ring laying to the rear and it will prevent contact between the ring and the receiver, and it will look nice.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

----

Yep i know.. but this is my shooter and this is not permanent. I honestly would be happy with classic buck horns. I completely forgot about a tang sight solution as most of my rifles are not setup for one (you would have d&t)
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Gorgeous.

I love the shape of that lever ring... wow...
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:56:38 PM EDT
[#19]
sent the red dot back.. went with marble.. your right i couldn't take the look of it. I am too traditionalist.
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Still enjoying this rifle?
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Still enjoying this rifle?
View Quote

yep, i got the marble on it with no issues. I like it.. just got to sight it in on paper. Just havn't had a chance to setup a paper stand on my range (i usually shoot steel).
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#22]
I assume you mean a Marble tang sight. I have one on my Rossi 92 and I don't care for it. Was it a functional thing or just aesthetics?
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I assume you mean a Marble tang sight. I have one on my Rossi 92 and I don't care for it. Was it a functional thing or just aesthetics?
View Quote

both. I didn't care for the skinner peep sight after i used it for a while. Actually i would be happy if it had the traditional buck horn sights.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:39:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm still watching one, but I'm not sold on the Skinner sight in that position.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:22:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I've been really wanting one of these or an Alaskan take down in .357, but I keep seeing so many hit or miss reviews...

What are your thoughts on the reliability/feeding/etc?
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 12:25:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've been really wanting one of these or an Alaskan take down in .357, but I keep seeing so many hit or miss reviews...

What are your thoughts on the reliability/feeding/etc?
View Quote

i have had zero issues with feeding / reliability. Its just getting the sights to where i am comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 4:57:02 PM EDT
[#27]
I've had no issues relative to reliability on my 44 mag Takedown.

As for the sights, not sure I get the objection to Skinner sights.  For me peep sights are better than buckhorn sights any day of the week and Skinner makes some very nice ones.  Not like we've seen buckhorn sights show up on any new designs in the last 125 years or so so I'm guessing most will prefer peeps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

As for the sights, not sure I get the objection to Skinner sights.  For me peep sights are better than buckhorn sights any day of the week and Skinner makes some very nice ones.  Not like we've seen buckhorn sights show up on any new designs in the last 125 years or so so I'm guessing most will prefer peeps.
View Quote

I think it's the position of the peep. The optimal position for a peep is close to your eye. Putting it on the barrel negates the advantages and intent of the design.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Is that pot metal?
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think it's the position of the peep. The optimal position for a peep is close to your eye. Putting it on the barrel negates the advantages and intent of the design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very valid point except for my 62 yr old eyes which kind of like having the back sight out there a ways.  And while having them farther may not be as functionally optimum as farther in, they are no farther out than a buckhorn.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 4:27:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2016 3:38:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I don't think moving the rear aperture of a peep sight to the barrel prevents the sight from working.  You still focus on the front sight.  At your nose or on the barrel they still work a whole lot better than a buckhorn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top