Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2015 10:30:22 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been beat to death but I've got to ask. Is it worth the money to go ahead and get the Winchester? If it's even really a US made Winchester? What are the real differences, quality, accuracy etc? What are y'all's thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 2:32:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The new 1873 Winchesters are Japanese made by Miroku, and sold via the Winchester name, which FN Herstal/Browning licenses from Olin/Winchester (the ammo company). The USRA/WRAC New Haven plant was closed in 2006. The one or two new model 1873s that I've handled were well fitted and smooth enough and felt basically like their Uberti competitors. They don't have the crappy visible safeties and rebounding hammer style that 1894s were cursed with in the 90s and 2000s at least (my 1894 soured me on USRA Winchesters and leverguns in general for many years). Prices online are usually slightly higher than comparable Uberti 1873s from the major Uberti importers, though you probably can get a nicer case finished Uberti for the price of whatever blued WRA 1873 you can find. It's likely going to be far more difficult finding a particular finish/caliber/combination in the Winchester than for a Uberti imported through Cimarron or Taylors. I suspect availability will really control your decision.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been beat to death but I've got to ask. Is it worth the money to go ahead and get the Winchester? If it's even really a US made Winchester? What are the real differences, quality, accuracy etc? What are y'all's thoughts?
View Quote

A uberti will / does make a fine rifle for the shooter over a collector.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! That was what is was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 8:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Japchester or Wopchester, take your pick.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't care for rebounding hammers so the Winchester is out for me.  I have an Uberti 73 and it is a fine rifle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't care for rebounding hammers so the Winchester is out for me.  I have an Uberti 73 and it is a fine rifle.
View Quote

My brand new Winchester/Miroku 1873 doesn't have a rebounding hammer.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 12:54:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's good to know.  Perhaps it's just the 92/94 guns.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Pardon my ignorance, what is a rebounding hammer?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 5:25:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Pardon my ignorance, what is a rebounding hammer?
View Quote

Read about fixing them (and therefore what they are and what's wrong with them) HERE.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a friend who has for years used a Uberti 1873 in .357 for CAS. This dude takes this competition very, very seriously and he and his wife compete somewhere almost weekly. He bought a Winchester '73 a year or so ago and had it slicked up. I asked him point blank if it was any better in any way than his Uberti. His reply: "Not really.".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top