Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2013 3:11:59 PM EDT
Hey guys, just finished up putting my new Marlin all together so I thought I would share some pics.

Just a standard 1894c in 38/357 that I had threaded for my Gemtech can.  I thought a low power scope would be cool on it, so I mounted a Leupold 1-4x20 in a Deadnutz mount.

I'm really happy with it so far..

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Now there's something you don't see everyday, very nice.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
That's really nice !!!

I guess you didn't have any problem with the Remlin or you wouldn't have wasted your time or money doing that with it.

Super sweet.

How do you like the DNZ mount ? I have them on two Marlins and think they are great myself.

Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:05:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's really nice !!!

I guess you didn't have any problem with the Remlin or you wouldn't have wasted your time or money doing that with it.
Super sweet.
How do you like the DNZ mount ? I have them on two Marlins and think they are great myself.

This the first DNZ mount that I have ever used, and so far I really like it!

As far as the Remlin goes, I have not had 1 bit of trouble with it. I always hear horror stories about them, but this one seems right on par with all of my older JM marlins.

I love how quite .38 specials are out of a suppresor, so I thought why not try it on a lever gun!
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 4:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
That is exactly what i want to do with my rossi M92 clone.
Can you recommend a smith to do the work?
The rossi has a dovetail front sight.
Link Posted: 4/4/2013 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I know this is a tech forum but I have two words: Hell Yes.

That is sick.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm looking at have this done to my 1894c.

Been quoted by a gunsmith £290 ($440) for external threading, inc cutting the magazine tube down slightly and re pinning it. And moving the front sight back.

Is yours internally threaded?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:24:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Any reason you didn't get the threaded mount?  Or just haven't yet?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:30:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cutting Edge Arms did mine. Chopped,threaded and moved the front sight back. Even had them thread it in metric. They did really good work.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 2:52:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Oops, hang fire
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Been quoted by a gunsmith £290 ($440) for external threading, inc cutting the magazine tube down slightly and re pinning it. And moving the front sight back.

Doing the Marlin was pretty simple.  I chose the Marlin, because the barrel actually stickes out a little farther than the mag tube.  I just had the barrel threaded, I did not have to cut down the mag tube or move the fron t sight or anything.  The threads do actually go back a little behind the mag tube, but my Gemtech can has a should for the threads, so it worked perfectly.  (if the base of your can is flat, that might be a problem)

Mine isn't internally threaded, it has the regular ol' 1/2x28 outside threads.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:19:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cutting Edge Arms did mine. Chopped,threaded and moved the front sight back. Even had them thread it in metric. They did really good work.

Is this Cutting Edge Arms in Oklahoma?  If so, they are great guys, they have done lots of work for me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doing the Marlin was pretty simple.  I chose the Marlin, because the barrel actually stickes out a little farther than the mag tube.  I just had the barrel threaded, I did not have to cut down the mag tube or move the fron t sight or anything.  The threads do actually go back a little behind the mag tube, but my Gemtech can has a should for the threads, so it worked perfectly.  (if the base of your can is flat, that might be a problem)

Mine isn't internally threaded, it has the regular ol' 1/2x28 outside threads.

Thanks.

Could you possibly put a close up picture of the threaded barrel up?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:42:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Could you possibly put a close up picture of the threaded barrel up?
[/quote]

Sure, I'll take a pic of the threads with the can off when I get home.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 7:52:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks nice Banker!  I love mine.  I have been shooting home rolled subsonic 247 grain Hunters Supply cast bullets in a shortened 38 case through mine.  A bit louder than the lightweight 38 subsonics but they hit with more authority.  Really like the scope mount on yours, what model # is that?  
Here is a pic of the threads on mine and the custom thread protector w wrench flats.

And the way my jailbroken Trident 9 mounts
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 8:22:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Looks nice Banker!  I love mine.  I have been shooting home rolled subsonic 247 grain Hunters Supply cast bullets in a shortened 38 case through mine.  A bit louder than the 38 subsonics but they hit with more authority.  Really like the scope mount on yours, what model # is that?  
Here is a pic of the threads on mine and the custom thread protector w wrench flats.
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/autumnsongmt/threads.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/autumnsongmt/mounted.jpg

Thank you! Very helpful.

Having to have a custom mod made for me as I can't find one larger than .308 off the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 11:51:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone tried threading and then putting a three lug adapter on it?
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this Cutting Edge Arms in Oklahoma?  If so, they are great guys, they have done lots of work for me.

Yes, sir.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:06:03 PM EDT
[#18]
One of my favorite guns to take out.  Incredibly quiet with specials too.

Link Posted: 4/6/2013 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#19]
As promised, here are the pictures of the threading job.

Link Posted: 4/7/2013 6:34:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks again

Took mine to the range today. Just need to decide on a scope now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
I would bet that a 1-4 would be perfect for that rifle....shooting subs out of a 357 lever gun......
The 1-4 would also be able to handle a full magnum load too out to 100 yards with no issues.....
I bought a Vortex variable for my 10/22 for $65 plus shipping. It wasn't made specifically for rimfires, so I'm pretty sure that it would handle 357 magnum loads out of a rifle just fine.
Redfield makes some good scopes at a reasonable price too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2013 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would bet that a 1-4 would be perfect for that rifle....shooting subs out of a 357 lever gun......
The 1-4 would also be able to handle a full magnum load too out to 100 yards with no issues.....
I bought a Vortex variable for my 10/22 for $65 plus shipping. It wasn't made specifically for rimfires, so I'm pretty sure that it would handle 357 magnum loads out of a rifle just fine.
Redfield makes some good scopes at a reasonable price too.

Weaver makes a nice compact 1-3x.
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 10:22:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Tagging for now.  Once I can find a 357 marlin, this is the exact setup I have been looking at
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Looks cool but the length sure does take the "handiness" out of these rifles.  Too bad we have jump through hoops to cut down the barrels below 16"

The scope and mount looks good.  Ive been thinking of getting something similar on my 44mag
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 4:56:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looks cool but the length sure does take the "handiness" out of these rifles.  Too bad we have jump through hoops to cut down the barrels below 16"

The scope and mount looks good.  Ive been thinking of getting something similar on my 44mag

What suppresser would you use for a 44 Mag?
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

FYI, I thought about threading my Marlin 44mag and buying a suppressor, but to me it just didn't offer a significant advantage over the 38/357.  My Marlin 38/357 is shorter and lighter than my Marlin 44mag and I could use my existing Trident 9 suppressor.  The Marlin 44mag also has a twist rate issue in that it has a hard time with even 300 grain bullets.  The Marlin 38/357 has a twist rate that can sling 247 grain bullets so I was only giving up 53 grains of bullet weight energy (at subsonic velocities!) at the cost of a 45 cal suppressor and a tax stamp.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 6:02:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What suppresser would you use for a 44 Mag?

If you kept it to subsonics only a 45acp can would most likely work but it would not handle full power 44 loads
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, I thought about threading my Marlin 44mag and buying a suppressor, but to me it just didn't offer a significant advantage over the 38/357.  My Marlin 38/357 is shorter and lighter than my Marlin 44mag and I could use my existing Trident 9 suppressor.  The Marlin 44mag also has a twist rate issue in that it has a hard time with even 300 grain bullets.  The Marlin 38/357 has a twist rate that can sling 247 grain bullets so I was only giving up 53 grains of bullet weight energy (at subsonic velocities!) at the cost of a 45 cal suppressor and a tax stamp.

makes sense.  I think the Marlin 44mag twist rate is OK, but the bore is a little bigger and likes larger dia bullets.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 8:38:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Nice rigs, I went a bit different route and suppressed a 336 in 35 Rem for a bit more thump.

Sorry for the delay been out of town
A can my buddy sold me for a HK52 I have. This was a for a .35 Rifle he had built and still had in stock and didn't sell.  When I get back to my base I will look at it to see who made it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#30]
I need to see pics of that beast!
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:48:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks nice Banker!  I love mine.  I have been shooting home rolled subsonic 247 grain Hunters Supply cast bullets in a shortened 38 case through mine.  A bit louder than the lightweight 38 subsonics but they hit with more authority.  Really like the scope mount on yours, what model # is that?  
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/autumnsongmt/threads.jpg
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd275/autumnsongmt/mounted.jpg
View Quote

Very nice setup autumnsong. Did you loose any magazine capacity when they cut back the magazine tube? I am looking to have my 1894CSS threaded for a Liberty Mystic but I am trying to figure out whether I should just cut it to ~16" and loose 1-2 rounds in capacity or try and keep it 18 1/2" and try not to loose any magazine capacity. With the Liberty though, it would probably have to have the magazine tube cut a bit like yours rather than Banker's in order for it to thread on.

Also, I am curious as to what kind of accuracy you are getting with your subsonic 247g loads. Do you mind sharing your load data on those as I would love to try something like those?
Link Posted: 7/26/2013 5:34:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice rigs, I went a bit different route and suppressed a 336 in 35 Rem for a bit more thump.
View Quote

What can are u running on this rig?
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Rossi .357 M92 16" bbl stainless.
5.x28
Factory sights clear the can with room to spare.
Cutting edge arms did the work.
Stamps should be here this month.
I'm thinking 38spl 158gr over 3.3gr titegroup?
I think this will be my favorite host.
Now if I could just figure out how to supress a S&W K frame....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top