Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2013 10:24:00 AM EDT
I'm planning to pick up a .357 lever gun in the next few weeks.....  The gun is just to shoot and add to the ever growing collection of .357/.38 wheel guns.  I also reload both calibers right now so this addition will fit right in (if there's anything I should be worried of when reloading please let me know as that will weigh on my decision more than most).  I've read about the Rossi (actually own a few of their pistols and love them for the price) and modes that may or may not be needed.  Not so familiar with Marlins (never owned one) and have owned a few Winchester lever guns (my 22lr was one of my favorite guns ever owned).   There's obviously a price difference but I'm always willing to pay more for something that is worth it in the long run.

The question is........   Which one and why?  

Rossi

Marlin

Winchester

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
My pick in order:

Used JM marked Marlin
Rossi
Winchester (would be higher,,, but expensive)
new RP Marlin

Whys:

used JM Marlin... Flat top easy to scope if you choose, generally very accurate with jacketed, can be very accurate with cast.  Pricing on the classics is only going to go up.
Rossi:  relatively inexpensive, good design, reliable... But a touch rougher than a classic Marlin.  Can be slicked up very nicely.  If hunting for a used Marlin is not something you want to do... Grab the Rossi without hesitation.
Winny:  great guns, spendy.  Great guns though.
RP Marlin:  quality control is in the dumper, if you get a good one it will be great... But the odds of getting a good one are slim at this time.

Just my .02 cents.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:25:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say a 1894 Marlin. As you are looking at the Winchester or Rossi next - Winchester would be my choice then Rossi. You might also consider a Henry Big Boy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Marlin IF you can find one. And if it's a post 2009 rifle, make sure you can look it over in person before committing to it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Rossi,

WInchester

Marlin

----

The Rossi is actually available and the action is very easy to smooth up.  It probably offers maximum bang for the buck, plus you can actually find them.

I like the look and finish of the Winchesters and they shoot well, but the Winchester 94s have a longer receiver and toggle link action with a longer stroke and will never be quite as fast as a Model 92 based carbine,  and both the Model 92 and Model 94 Winchesters will cost significantly more than a Rossi.

The Marlin is what's left and you need to distinguish between the Marlins and the Remlins.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:16:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I would say a 1894 Marlin. As you are looking at the Winchester or Rossi next - Winchester would be my choice then Rossi. You might also consider a Henry Big Boy.

The Henry's do not have a loading gate in the receiver.  They load through a port in the muzzle end of the tube similar to many rimfire tube fed rifles.

This matters not for a plinker, but if you want to be able to load on the move and top off it comes into play.
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Forget the Winchester, the new ones are very expensive and are all lawyered up with safeties and a rebounding hammer.

Compare the Rossi '92 and the Marlin '94 side by side. Some think the Marlins are heavy and clunky by comparison.

The Rossi's are a bigger pain in the ass to disassemble and reassemble, but you shouldn't have to do that. The Marlins are much easier.

You are just going to have to handle them and decide what you like. We can't do that for you.

Link Posted: 1/20/2013 6:51:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Forget the Winchester, the new ones are very expensive and are all lawyered up with safeties and a rebounding hammer.

Compare the Rossi '92 and the Marlin '94 side by side. Some think the Marlins are heavy and clunky by comparison.

The Rossi's are a bigger pain in the ass to disassemble and reassemble, but you shouldn't have to do that. The Marlins are much easier.

You are just going to have to handle them and decide what you like. We can't do that for you.

The Marlins are easier to take apart which makes them easier to smooth up if it's a little 'clunky'.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:20:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Marlins are easier to take apart which makes them easier to smooth up if it's a little 'clunky'.  

I think he's talking about overall feel and subjective handling, not action smoothness. All the Marlins I've seen tend to be fatter in the forearm and stock, plus a wider action, than a corresponding Winchester-style design.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 3:56:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree with everything except the comment in red.

If you know what you are doing, it's not hard to field strip a Rossi and put it back together. A paperclip, a dummy cartridge, a screw driver and a drift punch are all you need.  

I suspect many Rossi shooters are generally clueless as to:
1) how to keep the hammer out of the way when pulling or re-inserting the lower tang,
2) don't understand the use of the dummy round to insert the bolt and lever, nor
3) do they realize you can insert the lugs and lever as one unit with no need to remove the pin between the lugs.      

When you know what you're doing, it's a quick and easy process.  

I definitely agree with the handling comments.  The 1892 Winchester design, by WInchester or Rossi, feels superb in the hand and is wonderfully balanced (with my preference being a 20" barrel rather than a 16" barrel, especially in a .45 Colt).
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 6:01:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd also suggest a JM stamped marlin, preferably pre-2007.  Good luck finding one at a decent price though, the prices were starting to get silly before all the latest nonsense and are crazy right now.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:07:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone!  The Rossi it is!  Now just to find one.  

With the price difference I can but two guns or just a ton more primers, powder shoot more!
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone!  The Rossi it is!  Now just to find one.  

With the price difference I can but two guns or just a ton more primers, powder shoot more!

That's why I grabbed mine when a couple of them popped up at my (more or less) local gun shop. They weren't there very long.

They will smooth up nicely after about 200 rounds or so and some attention with a pinpoint oiler with some Slip2000 or other lubricant of your choice in it. (at least mine did)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top