Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 4:19:11 AM EDT
I've got a Henry .22 WMR rifle that I bought about ten years ago and I've been having some issues with it.  When I cycle the action (loaded or unloaded) the lever hangs up about 1/4" - 1/2" before it is all the way seated.  The lever will still hinge shut, but there is a noticeable hitch in it's getalong.  Usually this doesn't cause much of a problem, but there are times that it will not pick up a new shell, and I think this may be the cause.  I could be wrong, but it seems like it used to be free throughout the cycle.  

Anyhow, I tore it down for it's annual cleaning last night.  This consisted of threading out the two screws on each side of the receiver and the one that goes through the buttstock.  I saw the extractor was pretty grungy, so I pushed out the pin, and cleaned the spring, pin, extractor and the groove that it all rides in.  I brushed out everything else that I could reach and put some light oil on everythign.  That's about as deep as I dove off into it though.

Anyhow, while it was torn apart I cycled the action several times looking things over (and partially b/c I really like cycling lever guns, especially after a few barleypops).  What I noticed is that it was as smooth as butter when the breechbolt was not part of the operation.  When I sat the breechbolt on the receiver, held it down and cycled the action, I'd get the hang-up.  After a cople of cycles it was obvious that the hitch that I was feeling was the hammer rolling over, hitting the breechbolt (possibly a bit prematurely?) then "popping" past it.  

Anbody ever seen such a thing?  Anybody know of a fix?  The truth is, I rarely shoot the rifle, and when I do it functions plenty well enough to get the job done.  The hitch just more annoys the crap out of me than anything else.  Once I had it reassembled and move on to cleaning my 1911 my cousin and uncle happened to show up.  My uncle used to have a Henry .22 and my cousin has one now.  I asked him if his had the same "hitch" and he said it did, so maybe that's just the way they are?

ETA: sorry for the long borring post.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 11:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd pick up the phone and call Henry, they'll take care of you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top