Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 1:49:32 AM EDT
I have a Remington 30-30, love the look of the gun, and the way it shoots. Issue is, after cycling a round, the next round in has to be forced in to the chamber. I usually accomplish this by "wiggling" the lever until the round goes up in to the chamber. I'm experienced with pistols and bolt action rifles/semi auto's, not lever actions as this was just recently given to me by my father in law. Any ideas? I haven't taken it apart yet or looked anywhere else, was just wondering if anyone had any dealings with things such as this?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 2:09:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Remington made a center fire lever action?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I did not know that Remington produced a lever action rifle.

That said, it should not require 'wigging" too get a round to chamber. You need to take that weapon to a gunsmith for repair.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Remmy lever????

Couple thoughts...  Does the lever close easily without chambering a round?  Have you thoroughly degrunged the action and chamber?  Use brake cleaner on the action and solvent and wire brush on the chamber. Then spray action with Remoil or equal and try again.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:38:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a coffee can. Take the gun apart. Clean it. Put it back together.

The coffee can is for if you end up with extra parts... To hand to a gunsmith...Lol

C'mon!!!! Just take it apart....  

Seriously: it is not too complicated.

Get an empty egg carton.
Label the cups 1-12
As you take the gun apart, take notes about tricky fits.
Put the arts in the egg carton in order of removal.
Clean it all. Inspect parts for burrs or deformities.
Order parts that are needed:
Reassemble in reverse order. Be sure to lube all parts as you put them back in.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:28:17 AM EDT
[#5]
It's got to be a Remlin.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#6]
didnt know remington made a 30-30 rifle, let alone a lever version

OP
can you post pics of rifle & of issue?

sounds like tolerances are off OR as mentioned above, just needs a good cleaning
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Remlin = Remington owns Marlin these days.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
The only lever action rifle ever made by Remington was their Model 76 which was a lever version of their Nylon 66, auto loading 22lr.  Remington bought Marlin a while back and the Marlin leverguns were made in center fire calibers (until they suspended production because of horrible QC issues) but as far as I've seen, they were still marked Marlin.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 4:04:40 PM EDT
[#9]

It's a Winchester.  I was at work, and had been dealing with Remington rifles all day, I guess my mind just threw Rem in there for the hell of it.  It's a Winchester 94-30-30.  Sorry about that mixup.  I'm gonna take it apart and give it a good cleaning tonight.  I suspect it's just really really dry from sitting in storage for years without being used, contrary to what my father in law told me.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:33:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It's a Winchester.  I was at work, and had been dealing with Remington rifles all day, I guess my mind just threw Rem in there for the hell of it.  It's a Winchester 94-30-30.  Sorry about that mixup.  I'm gonna take it apart and give it a good cleaning tonight.  I suspect it's just really really dry from sitting in storage for years without being used, contrary to what my father in law told me.

Here's how I do lever guns:

Get your digital camera and a notebook.  Take pictures and make notes as you take the gun apart.  Note fitment and part relationships as you go.

You WILL thank me later.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:27:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Took her apart, cleaned her up real good, was filthy.  Wasn't bad at all. Put it all back together, still having the feeding issue.  It's gonna be a gunsmith deal I guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top