Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2011 6:52:18 AM EDT
Went out sunday to do some testing with new AR, and brought out the old marlin 1893 that i recently repaired.
The 93 shoots great! but was getting a few raised primers w/ remington 30-30. some cases were GTG others raised primers? all shot well. Going to pick up a headspace gage for it to ensure proper HS. It has no other signs of bad headspace so it left me thinking that the rounds were very inconsistent.

What has been your guys opinions?
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#1]
170 grain core lokt has always been my go to factory load for the 30-30.

Link Posted: 11/7/2011 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#2]
150 grain is the most accurate round Ive ever used in my marlin, and Ive killed probably 35 deer with it at ranges up to 150 yards mostly with a single shot.
Link Posted: 11/7/2011 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've never had problems with those cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/8/2011 11:47:52 AM EDT
[#4]
well that settles it prob going to be a HS issue should have gage in a few days  thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/9/2011 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Just how 'raised' were the primers?

Link Posted: 11/9/2011 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just how 'raised' were the primers?

Some were fine some less than a 1/16"  others were almost 1/8". Hence why I thought it was ammo related but after a bit of research it may really be ammo related. Apparenrlt rem is not loaded very hot. So im goin to check headspace and go from there
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 4:20:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Went out sunday to do some testing with new AR, and brought out the old marlin 1893 that i recently repaired.
The 93 shoots great! but was getting a few raised primers w/ remington 30-30. some cases were GTG others raised primers? all shot well. Going to pick up a headspace gage for it to ensure proper HS. It has no other signs of bad headspace so it left me thinking that the rounds were very inconsistent.

I had EXACTLY the same experience with raised primers on fired brass yesterday shooting a brand new box of Remington 30-30/150 grain Core-Lokt SP out of my NEW Marlin 336y at the range - "R30301."  There were a few re-loaders present who thought Remington may have mis-sized them which is great since I've got 2 more boxes to get through...  I need to dig out my reloading manuals and some other commercial 30-30 I've got lying around to do further research but it sounds like I'm not the only one having this issue with the recent batch of Core Lokt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top