Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2011 10:44:57 PM EDT
Who makes an excellent rimfire rifle?  I'd like something that looks nice in addition to functioning reliably and being accurate.
Link Posted: 4/6/2011 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Marlin or Henry are the two that come to mind.  Not sure of who else makes em.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#2]
We used to raffle off a Henry GoldenBoy for our club.  For a .22 levergun, it has about the sweetest action ever!  Seriously.  I would not trust anything new coming out of Marlin right now, but if you can find an older new one or a used gun, that might work.  But the Henry's seem mint still.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Henry lever action in .22. It's a fun rifle, the action is very smooth. I bought the base model, and would have liked to have bought the Goldenboy, but there is a price difference. It can shoot .22 short, .22 long, & .22 long rifle. It gets really fun when coupled with the Aguila Super Colibri rounds.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 4:56:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been trying to decide between the Henry and Marlin myself.  Does anyone have an opinion of whether the regular Henry is just as smooth/reliable as the Golden Boy?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 5:55:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've been trying to decide between the Henry and Marlin myself.  Does anyone have an opinion of whether the regular Henry is just as smooth/reliable as the Golden Boy?

Absolutely it is.  All the Henry 22s are smooth as silk and everyone on RimFireCentral.com raves about their accuracy.  I have a Henry H001 (basic carbine) and it's become my favorite 22lr out of five 22 rifles I own.  They are inexpensive and can be customized in the true fashion of us here on ARFCOM.  Here's my highly modified basic H001.

Also, be aware that Marlin has had some terrible QC problems since being bought and production being  moved by Remington.  Check on the web and you'll find complaints about every one of Marlin's leverguns, their 39As, 336s, 1894s, 1895s, XLRs, Big Bores, etc. I've also heard complaints about QC issues with their Model 60 semi-autos.   Right now I wouldn't touch a new Marlin unless it was given to me and even then I'd be very leery of it.
If you've got the money, Browning BL-22s are beautiful, smooth actions, and are accurate too.  I'd love to get a BL-22 Field Grade II but they are too spendy for my budget.

Or the BL-22 Field Grade II Octagon

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:06:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Absolutely it is.  All the Henry 22s are smooth as silk and everyone on RimFireCentral.com raves about their accuracy.  I have a Henry H001 (basic carbine) and it's become my favorite 22lr out of five 22 rifles I own.  They are inexpensive and can be customized in the true fashion of us here on ARFCOM.  Here's my highly modified basic H001.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_1083.jpg

Also, be aware that Marlin has had some terrible QC problems since being bought and production being  moved by Remington.  Check on the web and you'll find complaints about every one of Marlin's leverguns, their 39As, 336s, 1894s, 1895s, XLRs, Big Bores, etc. I've also heard complaints about QC issues with their Model 60 semi-autos.   Right now I wouldn't touch a new Marlin unless it was given to me and even then I'd be very leery of it.

If you've got the money, Browning BL-22s are beautiful, smooth actions, and are accurate too.  I'd love to get a BL-22 Field Grade II but they are too spendy for my budget.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/images-by-title-name/BL-22-FLD-Grade-II-MID-024108-m.jpg

Or the BL-22 Field Grade II Octagon

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/images/images-by-title-name/BL-22-FLD-Grade-II-Octagon-MID-024105-m.jpg

Your Henry is sweet. How did you refinish the metal?

(Disclaimer - I promise not to copy-cat within a week of getting one but can't promise it won't be done within a month. )
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Light or heavy; ie full size or 22 size. The Marlins are 30-30 size guns. The Browning is a 22 size gun. Henry and Winchester are in between.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Light or heavy; ie full size or 22 size. The Marlins are 30-30 size guns. The Browning is a 22 size gun. Henry and Winchester are in between.

Nope, the Marlin TDS is very compact. I have one.

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 7:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is a great question.

I don't know the answer, as I did not know there was such a difference.  

In terms of quality, I was thinking something like a Sharps but have never seen a Sharps lever action repeater.  The Uberti's look nice but I don't see a 22LR version.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:42:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a std. Henry .22 with an octagonal barrel.  I like the balance and weight of the heavier barrel.
The action is very smooth and seems strong and well built.

It's loads of fun to shoot steel plates for speed with it!
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 9:43:45 AM EDT
[#12]
boy there are lots of options but some of them will have to be on the used gun market

My favorites are the winchesters (used market only)  I sold my 80's vintage one and got a classic with the pistol grip stock.  Nice but not as refined as the older versions.
marlins are beautiful, my bud has one and his dad has one, his sister has one.  Sweet sweet rifles albeit a tad heavy.  One of these days I'll buy a nice older version.
My coworker has a henry,  yeah it's a painted alloy but it's a very nice handling and shooting rifle.  If you can't get past the alloy reciever then step up to the steel ones.
browning still makes a sweet shooter.  another coworker bought one a decade ago for his son's first rifle.  I wanted it then.  and I'm not a big lever addict.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Henry even makes their own version of the Mare's Leg lever-pistol in .22:

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-mares-leg.cfm
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Are the various .22 Henry lever guns heavy compared to Winchesters or Marlins?
Can all 22 WMRF be fired in the lever actions, or are some of the plastic pointed tip rounds not recommended?
Does the Henry have a short lever throw, like the Browning BL-22?
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
My first rifle was a browning bl-22. I still love that gun, it is beautiful and has a real feel of quality. A real tack driver too. Did I mention I love that gun?

Another thing i love about it is it has great iron sights.. They allow you to get a precise sight picture on even the smallest of targets.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 2:55:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 1955 Marlin 39 Mountie and it's probably the nicest .22 rifle I have ever dealt with. Everything is so smooth, the trigger is very nice, and it's extremely accurate. I only paid $325 last spring which is better than the new ones that are going for $550 and aren't as good as far as quality goes.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 3:17:48 PM EDT
[#17]
My Browning is fed a steady diet of Super Colibris. Backyard plinker. My Marlin 39A never gets used. Too big to carry in the woods. My Marlin 1894M (22 Mag) gets used a fair bit for shooting at animals. It is smaller than the 39A. Too rare/$$$ to really abuse. I have seen the occasional Marlin 57, Mountie, TDS, Ruger 96, Itahca whatever, etc, but they are too obscure to be in the running. Mossberg has a 94 lookalike. Winchester 9422's are common enough, but pricey.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 3:18:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have a Henry lever action in .22. It's a fun rifle, the action is very smooth. I bought the base model, and would have liked to have bought the Goldenboy, but there is a price difference. It can shoot .22 short, .22 long, & .22 long rifle. It gets really fun when coupled with the Aguila Super Colibri rounds.

Yep, I have the same model. I mounted a 4x power scope on mine and its a very nice shooting rifle.
It's the one in the middle.
Link Posted: 4/7/2011 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

How did you refinish the metal?  

Check out the Henry forum on Rimfirecentral.com.  They discuss all sorts of different coatings and colors, even a fax case hardening.  Mine is just the painted cover stripped, steel wooled, and then Lustrekote aluminum paint with Lustrekote flat clear over the top.  Lustrekote is a model airplane paint that stands up well to R/C fuel.  That's needed because of the cleaning fluids we use on our rifles.

Link Posted: 4/7/2011 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Are the various .22 Henry lever guns heavy compared to Winchesters or Marlins?

The Henry 22s are very light.  The basic H001, rd bbl carbine weighs only 5¼ lbs while the oct bbl Frontier model weighs 6¼ lbs because of the longer, octagon bbl.  Henry's centerfire leverguns are all very heavy for their size but their 22 versions are small and light.

Can all 22 WMRF be fired in the lever actions, or are some of the plastic pointed tip rounds not recommended?

Henry sells a number of 22mag rifles.  Both the standard and Frontier version also come in 22mag.

Does the Henry have a short lever throw, like the Browning BL-22?

While not as short as the Browning, it's not long at all.

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Does no one make a "luxury" model lever action?

If not, is the Browning the best of the crop?  Are they available with an octangonal barrel?

Does anyone make a fancy, single shot falling block or other lever action type in 22LR?
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If not, is the Browning the best of the crop?  Are they available with an octangonal barrel?

Does anyone make a fancy, single shot falling block or other lever action type in 22LR?

Check out the Henry Golden Boy ... if that isn't fancy enough for you, check out the deluxe engraved version, the personalized version, or one of the commemorative versions.  

Anthony Imperato, the owner of Henry Arms, is as Pro 2A as anyone in the gun business.  

http://www.henryrepeating.com/henry-rifles.cfm?CFID=5520276&CFTOKEN=75486010

I have a Marlin 39A made in 1967 that was my father's. It is very accurate, but is also long, heavy and unweildy compared to shorter and lighter leverguns.  I've also got an Iver Johnson .22 levergun that was made my Erma in West Germany. This is the gun the Henry is patterned after.  They are so much the same that parts interchange. I've had 2 or 3 Henry rifles that I gave away to my son's, my brother, etc.  I currently have a youth model for my grandson, and a Golden Boy that I shoot. I've never had a problem with any of the Henry's, and all have been very accurate.  No other lever gun is as smooth.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 5:17:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Marlin 39 or Browning BL22. Either of these guns is in a category far above the Henry. The Henry isnt a bad gun, but I feel they are cheaply made, and far overpriced.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Marlin 39 or Browning BL22. Either of these guns is in a category far above the Henry. The Henry isnt a bad gun, but I feel they are cheaply made, and far overpriced.

I agree that the BL-22 is a superior weapon but a new Marlin 39A is far from the quality it once was.  So much so that many people, including myself, wouldn't even consider a Marlin as currently made.  Look at the wealth of QC problems Marlin current has.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I absolutely agree on the Marlin quality control issues. I have not, however, seen near the issues with the 39 as the rest of the line. Even with this, I would still hold out for a used or handpicked 39 over anything Henry makes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#26]
You might change your mind if you ever shot a Henry.  Marlins have that stupid cross receiver safety and a stiff action and trigger while Henry's have a half cock and a buttery smooth action and good trigger.  New Marlin 39A's cost twice as much as a new Henry H001 ($568 vs $267 at Able's).  

Henry's are backed personally by the President of Henry Repeating Arms, Mr. Antony Imperato himself!  You send an email and he's the one who responds.  Issue?  They get it taken care of quickly at no cost by either sending parts free or sending a shipper authorization for free.  Marlin's customer service is ...................................... well, let's just say it could be improved.

You are correct that the Marlin has a higher quality, all steel blued receiver, however, that receiver is subjected to such poor workmanship during manufacture that the results are many rifles are poorly fitted, stiff, cranky, problem feeding rifles being shipped.  It's also bigger, heavier, and bulkier than the Henry with a mediocre looking wood stock compared to the Henry's walnut stock.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You might change your mind if you ever shot a Henry.  Marlins have that stupid cross receiver safety and a stiff action and trigger while Henry's have a half cock and a buttery smooth action and good trigger.  New Marlin 39A's cost twice as much as a new Henry H001 ($568 vs $267 at Able's).  

Henry's are backed personally by the President of Henry Repeating Arms, Mr. Antony Imperato himself!  You send an email and he's the one who responds.  Issue?  They get it taken care of quickly at no cost by either sending parts free or sending a shipper authorization for free.  Marlin's customer service is ...................................... well, let's just say it could be improved.

You are correct that the Marlin has a higher quality, all steel blued receiver, however, that receiver is subjected to such poor workmanship during manufacture that the results are many rifles are poorly fitted, stiff, cranky, problem feeding rifles being shipped.  It's also bigger, heavier, and bulkier than the Henry with a mediocre looking wood stock compared to the Henry's walnut stock.  

I have shot a lot of Henrys, and still feel its a cheaply made gun. Customer service is a great thing to have, but it doesnt make the gun any nicer. If I were buying a new 22 levergun, it would be a BL22, no question about it. If I were buying any 22 levergun, an older used Marlin 39 would get the nod. There is not one scenario where I find the Henry to be worth the price it commands.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My first rifle was a browning bl-22. I still love that gun, it is beautiful and has a real feel of quality. A real tack driver too. Did I mention I love that gun?
Another thing i love about it is it has great iron sights.. They allow you to get a precise sight picture on even the smallest of targets.

+1

Well, honestly, it was my first repeating rifle. My first one was a single shot I only kept for a year.

I love my BL-22, too.

Mine is also a Grade II.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 12:17:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I own a BL-22 and a Marlin 39, an older one with a heavy 20" barrel.  I have a freind that owns a Henry.  To me the Henry seems to be made of zinc or aluminum alloy vs. the Browning and Marlin's steel.  Between the browning and the Marlin I own I would choose the Marlin first because the heavier barrel allows a steadier hold and the longer lever throw is lighter than the Brownings shorter throw.  (The Marlin spreads the work out over a longer time.)  You might also look into finding a used Winchester.  I haven't actually used one myself so I can't comment on it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 12:24:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a Marlin 39 and I would recommend it as a nice rifle.

They made a lot of them so keep your eyes peeled for a used one.  

I have a BL-22 that I enjoy.  It is a beautiful thing- glossy and well polished like all of the Japanese Brownings.  It is an oddball design, though.  I don't like having to clean the BL-22 from the muzzle.

The Winchester 9422 is a nice rifle but you obviously have to find a used one.  

I know it isn't what you asked for but if you find a Winchester 62A pump .22 in good shape then buy it.  I strongly prefer my 62s over any other rimfire I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yes Browning does make a model of the BL-22 with an octaganal barrel. I have a grade 2, as well as a couple of 9422s
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 8:11:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
[Check out the Henry Golden Boy ... if that isn't fancy enough for you, check out the deluxe engraved version, the personalized version, or one of the commemorative versions.  

I'm not interested in "fancy", so engraving and artwork are not what I'm after.  (I do now regret using the word in my post).

I was think more along the lines of a Sharps rifle - top quality workmanship that also looks good but is not gaudy.  For example, I'd prefer color case hardening in lieu of shiny brass-colored plating.  I have seen centerfire rifles that were nice enough, I'm wondering if anyone makes a similar rifle in rimfire.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#33]
I just got a Cabela's flyer today, standard Henry's are $229 through next weekend.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2011 12:22:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I found a rimfire from Uberti.  It's nice but it's a rolling block design - not the type of lever action I had in mind.  

Doesn't anyone make a lever action like the Uberti (color case hardened, nice wood, octagonal barrel,...) but in 22 LR rimfire?

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 12:07:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I would LOVE to own a Winchester 1876 or 1873 replica in .22lr. I've got an original 1876, so a .22lr twin would be perfect.
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:46:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Should I keep looking for the rimfire?  Does anyone make them, or am I after something that doesn't exist?  

Did anyone ever make one?  Are they available used or as an antique via an auction?
Link Posted: 4/25/2011 7:54:38 PM EDT
[#37]
The first rifle I ever bought was a Winchester 9422M. I still have it, and after 10s of thousands of rounds its still a fabulous rifle.
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 4:59:01 AM EDT
[#38]
I just purchased a standard model Henry in .22lr and I'll have to say I'm extremely impressed with the smoothness of the action of this little rifle.  I haven't gotten to shoot it enough to say it's super accurate yet, my accurate .22 is a Winchester 69a nat'l match, but it's certainly above the plinker level with just the factory irons.  I'll probably have to have another one of these for my Grandson.  I would, however, buy a Browning before I'd pay the bucks they're wanting for a Yellow Boy.

IMHO you can take and keep Marlin.  Their older guns were ok, but really heavy for a .22 compared to the Browning or Winchester.  The QC problems started long before Remington bought them out and they had an idiotic policy about selling even small springs and other parts to FFL holders only.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/26/2011 7:13:47 PM EDT
[#39]
I went looking at antique lever action 22LR's.  YIKES!  $2k to $5k was the norm for a "rusty old, rifle" (with a bad barrel).

I'll go look at 9422's.  Are they more or less modern?
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I went looking at antique lever action 22LR's.  YIKES!  $2k to $5k was the norm for a "rusty old, rifle" (with a bad barrel).

Pretty much, the 9422 came out in the early 1980's IIRC.  If I'm wrong it may date back as far as the late 1970's.  

My final year 9422 classic is a freaking tack driver.  The action and trigger are getting better with more use as one would expect.  I was just looking at an older Marlin 39A with ballard cut rifling (as opposed to the later microgroove).  This particular one was used and priced at $500 and had some deficiencies, very plain and boring wood which the buttstock was oil soaked at the receiver causing the varnish finish to peel off, the previous owner must have been ham handed during cleaning and assembly as the precise mating surfaces where the two recievers come together were all damaged with silvery edges of burred metal (otherwise the metal was good).  No way would I pay $500 for an old .22 in that condition when there are thousands more out there.  

I did see a 39A Golden with a short barrel and full pistol grip on gunbroker.  That would be a nice setup.  

Honestly the more I handle my 9422 the more i think Winchester nailed the cowboy .22 rifle design.  Too bad it was too expensive to make to be a money maker for them.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I would LOVE to own a Winchester 1876 or 1873 replica in .22lr. I've got an original 1876, so a .22lr twin would be perfect.

Uberti made their 1873 version in 22lr at one time but I don't think they do currently.  It didn't have a side loading gate and looked like this.

Winchester actually made their original 1873 in 22lr (black powder version) but as with all antique guns, they are rare and expensive.  Here's one for $4,500.

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:42:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Henry standard grade .22 here.  Love that rifle!  It is absolutely accurate, action is perfection, and the trigger is actually pretty damn good to boot!
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#43]
I have both a Marlin 39A Mountie  and Win 9422. Both are great shooters.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Who makes an excellent rimfire rifle?  I'd like something that looks nice in addition to functioning reliably and being accurate.

That's an easy question to answer.....HENRY. My dad recently introduced me to his Henry .22, I was so impressed (not an easy feat) that I went out and got two....a .22 and a 17HMR. Love them. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

If not, is the Browning the best of the crop? Are they available with an octangonal barrel?

It's called a Marlin M39

Link Posted: 5/11/2011 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Henry!

I have a Big Boy in 45LC and I was more than pleased with the smooth action and amazing accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Gentlemen, I appreciate all the help.  

COSteve, that Uberti you have is exactly what I am after.  I sent an email to Uberti last night inquiring if they made them or had any in stock.  I haven't found one at any of the online gun shops.

I suspect, if I am unable to find a Uberti like that, that I will end up buying the 357 version.
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty much, the 9422 came out in the early 1980's IIRC.  If I'm wrong it may date back as far as the late 1970's.  

I did see a 39A Golden with a short barrel and full pistol grip on gunbroker.  That would be a nice setup.  

Honestly the more I handle my 9422 the more i think Winchester nailed the cowboy .22 rifle design.  Too bad it was too expensive to make to be a money maker for them.  

The 9422 came out in the early 70s.  AIUI, when the tooling wore out it was too expensive to replace, so the 9422 was discontinued.

I have a 9422 XTR Classic that is a tackdriver. I had a gunsmith drill and tap the stock tang and mount a tang sight.

Link Posted: 5/15/2011 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

The first rifle I ever bought was a Winchester 9422M. I still have it, and after 10s of thousands of rounds its still a fabulous rifle.

Yes I agree.  I bought a 9422M several years ago when I found out the plant was closing and the Winchester 9422 line was ending.  Best money I ever spent.  Its a beautiful rifle to look at and shoot.  Its a shame production ended for such a nice gun.

Link Posted: 5/16/2011 4:41:36 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If not, is the Browning the best of the crop? Are they available with an octangonal barrel?

It's called a Marlin M39

Hardly!!!

The highest class, finest 22lr levergun made is the Browning BL22 in it's fancy version.  The Marlin M39A holds the title as the longest in continuous production but you really need to have a masochistic personality to consider a current model 39A with all the QC issues Marlin has currently.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top