Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2011 3:01:09 AM EDT
Hi, Folks. My newest project idea is to cut down the barrel and magazine tube of a standard-length lever-gun, effectively making a trapper-style gun from it. I have a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington that is just begging me for it. I also want to make one in .44 magnum.

My question is, what does the collective think?  I'm not looking to chopping up a collectible gun, or anything like that. Btw, I got the tools, experience, and skills to do this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 9:43:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Do it! What are you waiting on?
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have cut down numerous marlins 336, 1894 and 1895 and since it’s your gun who cares what others think cut it down you will love how it handles. I’m currently working on 2 1895 marlins one is a guide gun cut down to 16.5” and the other is a 1895CB cut to 18”. I’m sure there is some one out there that would be upset about me cutting down the cowboy but it just works better for me being shorter and is a lot easier to carry in a scabbard on a horse.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 12:47:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Up here the woods can get pretty thick and brushy. A short gun aims quickly. FWIW, I did try hunting with a handgun, but it just feels weird to me.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:26:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Your gun, your choice. Unless it's an older NIB gun you happened to stumble upon, there's nothing collectible about a .35 Remington Marlin 336. I'm thinking of shortening my 336XLR FWIW. If you want lots of info on things Marlin, head over to marlinowners.com.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh yeh, do it!  I have a relative who has a WWG Master Guide rifle which is just a highly modified 1895GS and they cut it down to 16" plus port it.  That thing carries so freaking nice in the woods up here in Maine!  It's like having an SBR almost!  You will love having the shorter barrel for sure.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:03:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Your gun, your choice. Unless it's an older NIB gun you happened to stumble upon, there's nothing collectible about a .35 Remington Marlin 336. I'm thinking of shortening my 336XLR FWIW. If you want lots of info on things Marlin, head over to marlinowners.com.

I did not know there was a Marlin-specific site like that with forums. Thanks! I'm not totally gooey over Marlins. I like my Winchesters equally well, but you never know what sort of neat stuff you can find when you go to a site like that.

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not know there was a Marlin-specific site like that with forums. Thanks! I'm not totally gooey over Marlins. I like my Winchesters equally well, but you never know what sort of neat stuff you can find when you go to a site like that.

You're welcome
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top