Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2011 4:40:17 AM EDT
I went out with a buddy and tried out his new Henry.  I think its called Standard model, its blued.  Man I was impressed, Its no bells/whistles, simple, and accurate.  

Any owners of this model could give me some feedback, that would be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking about buying one, for a new shooter, and for the fun factor.  But I have no experience with Henry.  It will be used for introducing my 11 yr old to shooting, and working on the basics of iron sights, trigger discipline.  Also, it appears to be the kind of gun, take it to the range with a brick of ammo and have fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 4:51:39 AM EDT
[#1]
My dad has the same blued model and I have the Golden Boy. Both are ok to run shorts, longs and long rifle .22s, however....
Mine shoots .22 shorts and cycles them perfectly. His chokes on the .22 shorts.
His actually chewed up a piece of the .22 short brass and jammed it up tight in the action. Once we extricated it all was well.
LR's cycle and shoot great in both.
It is an accurate and fun to shoot little rifle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 5:51:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, thats what I was hoping to hear.  I will probably shoot only LR's in it.  I haven't fired a 22 with iron sights in @20 years.  I know 22's in general are pretty accurate, but I used the Henry and put 30 rds in a area the size of a golf ball at 50'  

With these old eyes, I was proud of myself a little.  It was a blast.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 8:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one and love it. Great little rifle. Henry customer service and lifetime warranty are great. Mine will cycle shorts fine if you work the action fast.

The one in the middle with the scope mounted
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Go for the Henry Youth Model. 1 inch shorter stock, but still usable by an adult, and a 16 inch barrel.

I bought one for my grandson, and prefer it to my full size .22 lever gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2011 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have one and love it. Great little rifle. Henry customer service and lifetime warranty are great. Mine will cycle shorts fine if you work the action fast.

The one in the middle with the scope mounted
http://home.bresnan.net/~hanzerik/pics/Shooting-May-10/2010-05-20-18-23-30.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Hanzerik, Thats a very nice collection of rifles.  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 2/27/2011 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the rifle with the color case hardening directly above the scoped rifle?  Is that also a rimfire 22?

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 7:17:19 AM EDT
[#7]
They are a ton of fun, smooth as glass, and surprisingly accurate.  Also, in the true ARFCOM tradition, one can mod them simply and easily.  Here's my basic model H001 I modified.  The adjustable receiver sight allows me to shoot out to 200yds!!  All I have to do is fire and then get a cup of coffee while waiting for the bullet to travel that far.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Great little rifles.  Base model is H001.  (You can get H001T target models with octagonal barrels).  Smooth action is like "buttah".  Very accurate.  No cheap ash/birchy/poplar stocks.  Top grade American walnut that you won't find on other mfg's top rifles.  

Receiver is made out of a zinc/aluminum alloy called Zamak, but don't worry.  They're engineered to have steel where needed.  These rifles will last a lifetime and then some.  So ignore the "only steel is good for guns" naysayers.  Their "Golden Boy" .22's are made of a similar alloy and plated with a brass finish.  Durable but will scratch.

The receiver is powdercoated blue.  Many folks like to strip the powdercoat off and either paint the gun silver or leave it in the raw metal like I did.

These typically come with plastic barrel band and front sight bands, but Henry sells metal replacement bands  (most of the time they'll simply send it to you for free).

If you want more glowing tributes to these little rifles and Henry's top notch, best of the best customer service reports, go to rimfirecentral.com and look under the Henry subforum.   The owner himself frequently writes on the forum, and responds to emails personally  

Get one... you won't be disappointed  

Link Posted: 2/28/2011 9:04:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is the rifle with the color case hardening directly above the scoped rifle?  Is that also a rimfire 22?

Top two guns are both Rossi .44 Mag lever actions. Top is a 16" Carbine, the one you are asking about is a 20" Short Rifle.
Here is a pic of them after upgrading the sights.
Link Posted: 2/28/2011 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I love my little henry rifle.  I bought in on sale just on a whim and am glad I did.  I have never had any problems with shorts, in fact I like them  because they are not as loud as longs.  I did replace the plastic band and sight with metal ones.  Looking for a good low cost lever action 22, henry is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 3/1/2011 5:29:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Love mine  ––- admittedly i don't have a Marlin or anything to compare it with, and a Winchester is out of the price range ––––––––   so its the the only 22 levergun i've ever shot.      Offhand shooting 4" clay targets and the resulting smaller and smaller pieces at 50 yards is fun ––- its more accurate than my base model 10/22  

––––- i personally think every gun safe should have one just for kicks ––-  plus,  if you need to get rid of a pesky crow without alerting the neighbors,  just load it full of shorts and no one will be the wiser if you have a little bit of land to play with  ((not a recommended strategy for a smaller urban/suburban backyard tho )
Link Posted: 3/4/2011 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad just bought a plain jane Henry .22 recently and I was extremely impressed with it's workmanship and smoothness. So much so I picked up a new one in 17HMR and am going to get the standard .22 rifle also. Like the fact the .22 will handle all 3 lengths of .22 rimfire.

ETA: Picked the .22 yesterday, now for nice warm dry weather.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both of their .22lr and the .22 mag rifles.  Both are great little rifles.  The .22lr has seen hundreds upon hundreds of rounds thru it with very little cleaning.  Ive shot both long rifles and shorts with no problems.  I have a cheapie Tasco scope on my .22 mag and its a tack driver provided I do my part.  The long rifle version was probably the best money I've ever spent on a firearm.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the carbine length with the large loop lever and really enjoy it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They are a ton of fun, smooth as glass, and surprisingly accurate.  Also, in the true ARFCOM tradition, one can mod them simply and easily.  Here's my basic model H001 I modified.  The adjustable receiver sight allows me to shoot out to 200yds!!  All I have to do is fire and then get a cup of coffee while waiting for the bullet to travel that far.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/Coloradoglocker/100_0760.jpg

Nice looking rig. What make/model of peep sight is that?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:44:03 AM EDT
[#16]
It's a Williams FP 94/36 TK (target knobs) and it works great with the stock front sight.  You D&T 2 holes in the receiver cover and mount it up.  I'd suggest that you thin down the front sight as it makes for a more precise aim but you don't have to get a custom raised front sight to get it on even as close as 25yds.

The added index lines in front of the scale are my set points for 50, 75, 100, 150, and 200yds.  While it's possible to hit out at 200yds, you can go get a coup of coffee waiting for the bullet to strike and even the slightest wind will push the bullet a couple of feet to the side.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top