Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 9:14:59 AM EDT
I know I'm going to get flamed on for this, but I think no harm would come.
I have a Marlin 375, and an original Winchester Hi-Wall in .38/55. Keeping brass seperated is a chore, and I was wondering about having a gunsmith running a .38/55 finish reamer down it.
The .38/55 is only a few thou deeper than the .375, and there would be no outward indication that it had been done. I shoot the same load in both rifles, and have shot, ( I probably shouldn't admit this,) .38/55 in my .375 without any signs of pressure.
But I know the extra length of the .38/55 is taking up leade. If I deepen the chamber in the .375, I could then shoot .38/55 in both rifles. Opinions? Thanks, Mike
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:11:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Check out this thread. Be sure to follow the link in post #8.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:03:08 PM EDT
[#2]
If you plan on shooting cast bullets in the 375...(many in the 245-265grain range), you will have a pretty hard time as the twist in the 375 is nominally 1/14 and the 38-55 is nominally 1/18...I've got a friend that loaded cast in the 375 and it will strip the lead as it starts into the fast rifling...good luck...As far as the brass, 38-55 brass will "normally" load/shoot in the 375, as long as you don't go over the overall length of the 375. Shrps74
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top