Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2010 8:38:32 PM EDT
I want to buy a lever gun for deer, back bear and who knows what big game hunts i will go on in the future.  Don't think I will ever do an African safari or go grizzly hunting but you never know.  Here is what I narrowed my criteria down to:

-Not looking to take 300+ yrd shots.  
-Most of my shots would be in the 100-200 yd range.  
-Whatever gun I decide on will primeraly be used as a brush gun first and secondly as a shooter across 150 yd fields.
-Not a fan of scopes but good eyes don't last forever
-I will buy an 18.5" or 20" barreled gun

I narrowed it down to a 30-30 and 45-70, what do you guys think would be a good choice for me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2010 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Just bought their new 30-30 336C with the Mar-Shield finish, which is a synthetic coating over the hardwood; makes for a great brush gun that will hold up to the elements.  It is tapped/drilled for a scope.  Upgrade to the 336SS for an even better rust resistant brush gun.  Mine shot perfect out to 100 out of the box.  Found a great deal at Wal-Mart of all places, $325 out the door.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get a 30-30.  The 170 grain remington core lokt loads are great rounds and moderately priced as well.  While the 45-70 hits harder, the ammo is a bit expensive.

30-30 has killed millions of deer, I wouldn't feel under gunned with one.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you a reloader? If so I'd go with the 45-70, if not the 30-30.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I am a reloader, been doing research in reloading for it.  Looks like you can beef it up and tone it down to a plinker.  I need to get a book on it but would it be possible to get the 45-70 to shoot flatter when reloading??

What's the difference between the straight stock and pistol grip, they both feel the same to me.  Is there a particular stance or way to hold the straight stock that gives an edge tothe shooter??
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought a Marlin 1895gs about 4 months ago and it's a great rifle.Very easy to reload for as well,and the best part is that you can load them from mild to wild.I don't like the way a scope looks on a lever rifle ,so I up graded the sights to ghost ring sights from XS Sight Systems and still couldn't hit worth a damn (47 year old eyes).I had a Leupold scope that I had laying around and put that on the rifle and just went to sight it in last weekend.I got on the paper in 6 shots and then 3 shot groups in the bull at 50 yards ,with a 405gr Rem flat nose bullet and Varget powder.This coming weekend I'm going to try the rifle at the 100 yard line.

If your recoil shy it does kick like a bitch if you load your rounds hot,and the recoil pad leaves a lot to be desired.I put a Decelerator pad on it and soooooo much better.I have been shooting for many years and the 45/70 has become my favorite.I used to have a Marlin 336 in 35 rem that did nothing for me excitement wise ,the big bang of the 45/70 has that excitement.The 30/30 has cheaper ammo and the rifle is less expensive then the 1895 ,but the way I look at it is ONE OF the ARFCOM MOTTOS -BUY ONCE CRY ONCE. Also a lot of info on Marlin owners group for lever rifles,that might help you make up your mind.

P.S. got mine from buds $608.00 ,been seeing them at gun shows for $700 to $750.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:05:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just bought their new 30-30 336C with the Mar-Shield finish, which is a synthetic coating over the hardwood; makes for a great brush gun that will hold up to the elements.  It is tapped/drilled for a scope.  Upgrade to the 336SS for an even better rust resistant brush gun.  Mine shot perfect out to 100 out of the box.  Found a great deal at Wal-Mart of all places, $325 out the door.

$325 is great, I got my 336C for just over $400 out the door but then again this wasn't long before everyone started buying during the scare. I love my .30-30, I upgraded to the XS ghost ring sights and just got the scout rail and and extended eye relief scope that I will mount soon. I love this rifle, it definitely gives my AR a run for its money as far as who gets to play the most. You can find ammo for it anywhere and it is a very effective caliber for most any game you want to take on the continent. I really like the stainless steel version of it too.

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I just bought a Marlin 1895gs about 4 months ago and it's a great rifle.Very easy to reload for as well,and the best part is that you can load them from mild to wild.I don't like the way a scope looks on a lever rifle ,so I up graded the sights to ghost ring sights from XS Sight Systems and still couldn't hit worth a damn (47 year old eyes).I had a Leupold scope that I had laying around and put that on the rifle and just went to sight it in last weekend.I got on the paper in 6 shots and then 3 shot groups in the bull at 50 yards ,with a 405gr Rem flat nose bullet and Varget powder.This coming weekend I'm going to try the rifle at the 100 yard line.

If your recoil shy it does kick like a bitch if you load your rounds hot,and the recoil pad leaves a lot to be desired.I put a Decelerator pad on it and soooooo much better.I have been shooting for many years and the 45/70 has become my favorite.I used to have a Marlin 336 in 35 rem that did nothing for me excitement wise ,the big bang of the 45/70 has that excitement.The 30/30 has cheaper ammo and the rifle is less expensive then the 1895 ,but the way I look at it is ONE OF the ARFCOM MOTTOS -BUY ONCE CRY ONCE. Also a lot of info on Marlin owners group for lever rifles,that might help you make up your mind.

I love my guide gun too ––- i have one of the older models with a ported barrel ––- really helps tame the recoil and barrel rise.       I have had excellent luck with the Hornady Leverolution round  (325 gr FTX bullet) both at the range and in the field.    Now the powder has been released,  so you may be able to duplicate the Hornady factory load fairly easily.   It has enough drop at 300 yards that you have to pay attention to it,  but within 150 yards, its right-on.

30-30 will also  do what you want to do–– i have a couple of those, but they have never been shot over 100 yards.  My experience with the Hornady ammo in the 30-30's is if you start using it,  you pretty much have to dedicate the rifle to that load because the POA is so much different than the regular soft point ammo –––– again,  reloading will ease the pain of those costs somewhat

Link Posted: 8/26/2010 6:58:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I am going to parrot the above replies, since you are a reloader already, go 45-70.  Cabelas had a sale a year ago and had new in box 1895G's for $450 so I got one.  It is my favorite overall rifle.  A little Trailboss powder and a home cast 350ish lead bullet will be a pleasure to shoot, or a full charge of rifle powder will absolutely kill anything ( including your shoulder ).  
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:11:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Did it guys, bought the 1895G.  It's an 18.5" ported barrel, pre owned but in excellent condition.  All yor info helped a lot in making my decision, thanks.

I've been looking up reloading data & the drop can get pretty serious at 150-200 yds with mild loads.  Anyone use the Lyman tang sights for long range shots up to 200 and the barrel mounted sight for less than 150.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Did it guys, bought the 1895G.  It's an 18.5" ported barrel, pre owned but in excellent condition.  All yor info helped a lot in making my decision, thanks.

I've been looking up reloading data & the drop can get pretty serious at 150-200 yds with mild loads.  Anyone use the Lyman tang sights for long range shots up to 200 and the barrel mounted sight for less than 150.

Watch out for tang sights on the GG.  They come awefull close to the eyeball if you are shooting stout loads.
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats JPNY23,great rifle I don't think you will be sorry.I have a few other guns (haha) and the Marlin is the most fun you can have with your cloths on .......ENJOY !!!

(Ex- New Yorker form Dutchess County)
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Congrats JPNY23,great rifle I don't think you will be sorry.I have a few other guns (haha) and the Marlin is the most fun you can have with your cloths on .......ENJOY !!!

Hey,

northern Westchester, on the Putnam border.  I'm 15 minuets from Dutches on 6, have family there and thats were I hunt deer when I dont feel like going way up state.

Do you miss it, its getting close to that time of year when it starts getting pretty on the Taconic.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 8:38:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hey,

northern Westchester, on the Putnam border.  I'm 15 minuets from Dutches on 6, have family there and thats were I hunt deer when I dont feel like going way up state.

Do you miss it, its getting close to that time of year when it starts getting pretty on the Taconic.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
thirdythirdy
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Dump the Marlin idea.  Buy a Rossi in 38/357 and enjoy!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 8:18:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Since you mention bears, I'd go 35 Rem or 45-70, My preference would be the 45-70.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top