Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2009 10:34:59 AM EDT
Soon walmart, dicks, etc will be putting these on sale, have been thinking of picking one up since they came out but they had some teething problems. Anyone have one and what do you think of it? Have they fixed the problem with the extractors breaking?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 10:56:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 11:27:27 AM EDT
[#2]

Thats the one. Probably go with the straight stock version if I get one.

Any input is appreciated.

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 1:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I own one, but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet..

As far as quality, it looks and feels just as smooth as my Winchester 94's..that goes for all the ones I've messed around with in stores too..

From what I've read it looks like Mossberg have taken care of most of its early problems, and it sounds like they have stood 100% behind their product and shipped out parts(extractor) asap when people contacted them..

To me it seems like most of the people that is complaining about these rifles never owned one and never intended to own one even before they looked at/handled one....

flame suit on..
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

As far as quality, it looks and feels just as smooth as my Winchester 94's..that goes for all the ones I've messed around with in stores too..

From what I've read it looks like Mossberg have taken care of most of its early problems, and it sounds like they have stood 100% behind their product and shipped out parts(extractor) asap when people contacted them..

To me it seems like most of the people that is complaining about these rifles never owned one and never intended to own one even before they looked at/handled one....

flame suit on..

A lot of folk apparently look at the Mossberg name, the price point, and the hardwood stock and turn their noses up at them. I also tend to think that the folk that rag on them the hardest are the ones that think that Marlin is the only outfit that makes a good gun.

Personally, I'm looking hard at them, and when my current financial reversal has been recovered from, I'll probably pick one up.

Here's what one of the folk over at Gunblast thinks about his.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

flame suit on..

From the reading I have done, it sounded like the only problem they have had was the extractor. It sounded like they were shooters, and you have to figure how frackin hard will it be to get an extractor right? Anyway, I am gonna keep an eye on Dicks, there is one opening soon here, gonna go in and see what they go for and maybe lay one away.

Link Posted: 8/24/2009 3:46:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

From the reading I have done, it sounded like the only problem they have had was the extractor. It sounded like they were shooters, and you have to figure how frackin hard will it be to get an extractor right? Anyway, I am gonna keep an eye on Dicks, there is one opening soon here, gonna go in and see what they go for and maybe lay one away.

The folk with broken extractors have a legitimate beef, but it does seem to be the same handful turning up over and over. On the other hand, there are some people who show up and say"I heard that they're pieces of shit and I would never buy one." I wonder how much of the problem is real and how much of it is just the internet making a mountain out of a molehill.
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 3:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The folk with broken extractors have a legitimate beef, but it does seem to be the same handful turning up over and over. On the other hand, there are some people who show up and say"I heard that they're pieces of shit and I would never buy one." I wonder how much of the problem is real and how much of it is just the internet making a mountain out of a molehill.

I hear you. I knew early guns had bad extractors but you had to figure mossberg would figure out how to make an extractor eventually. I have been keeping an eye on the local pawn shops for a used one, no dice. But new they only run $350 or so.

Link Posted: 9/1/2009 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you. I knew early guns had bad extractors but you had to figure mossberg would figure out how to make an extractor eventually. I have been keeping an eye on the local pawn shops for a used one, no dice. But new they only run $350 or so.

New MArlin from Wally only runs 350 or so too.              

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 3:27:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folk apparently believe that the reason that somebody might be interested in this rifle is because they would really rather have a "MArlin."
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 8:13:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some folk apparently believe that the reason that somebody might be interested in this rifle is because they would really rather have a "MArlin."

I think he is just trying to say "buy once, cry once"

I had a Mossberg.  Didnt like it.  Same sloppy action as the Winchester.  I didnt like the tang safety...  its a gloomin big piece of plastic that sticks up too high and interferes with any thoughts of a tang sight.  Sights sucked.  It shot halfway OK, but not acceptable.  

I traded it after a box of shells cause I could see it would never work out between us.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know but around here lightly used marlins go for $200 and up at pawn shops. I would jump on a used mossberg if it had been out long enough to really be on the used market.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he is just trying to say "buy once, cry once"

I had a Mossberg.  Didnt like it.  Same sloppy action as the Winchester.  I didnt like the tang safety...  its a gloomin big piece of plastic that sticks up too high and interferes with any thoughts of a tang sight.  Sights sucked.  It shot halfway OK, but not acceptable.  

I traded it after a box of shells cause I could see it would never work out between us.

You're not the first I have heard say something like that. It seems there is no middle ground, you either love it or hate it

Still leaning towards one, it will be awhile before I buy one and I have time to think about it. I also need a new carry piece, that may take precidence over the mossberg.

Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:07:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I love everything about the 94s except the way they shoot.  I have owned and shot a bunch trying to find one that shoots as well as people seem to think they do and I have not found one yet.  Some where OK and some really sucked.  I really wanted to have the Mossberg work for me.  

I am back to my Marlins....  I have 4 in 30-30, 1 in 45LC, 1 in 357,  and a 39A.  If I ever find a 94 that shoots as well as I would like it to I will probably pay a whole lot more than going price for it.... but I am not holding my breath any more.  My Marlins can pretty much connect the dots at 100 yards.... the 94s have not come close.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 2:42:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I love everything about the 94s except the way they shoot.  I have owned and shot a bunch trying to find one that shoots as well as people seem to think they do and I have not found one yet.  Some where OK and some really sucked.  I really wanted to have the Mossberg work for me.  

I am back to my Marlins....  I have 4 in 30-30, 1 in 45LC, 1 in 357,  and a 39A.  If I ever find a 94 that shoots as well as I would like it to I will probably pay a whole lot more than going price for it.... but I am not holding my breath any more.  My Marlins can pretty much connect the dots at 100 yards.... the 94s have not come close.

I have one winchester 94 left, have never owned a marlin, it is on my to buy list someday. I almost pulled the trigger on a used glenfield at a pawnshop awhile back, the bore looked like it had never been fired but it had light rust, like it was stored in a zip up rifle case or something. I talked them down to $175 then had to think about it, went back it was gone

Sometimes I just outsmart myself

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been debating getting one.

I really like the straight stock style.
I'm not too excited about a marlin 336.
I'm even less excited about overpaying for a used pawnshop queen 94.
I absolutely will not spend more than $450 for a rifle I plan to use frequently and beat the shit out of.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:03:57 AM EDT
[#17]
I checked out a Mossy 464 straight stock the other day at the gunshop.  It seems OK.  It has both a tang safety and a lever safety.  The Marlin 336 has a cross receiver safety and a lever safety.  The Marlin hasn't got a 1/2 cock while the Mossy does.  I figure that you could deactivate the tang safety on the Mossy and mount a tang sight over the hole and use you the 1/2 cock.  

The Mossy's action is a bit stiff and the trigger is heavy but I'm sure an action job would fix that, just like you'd have to do on the Marlin.  The Mossy feels better at the shoulder than the Marlin with it's fat fore and butt stock.  To be honest, I wasn't impressed with either the Mossy or the Marlin.

Link Posted: 9/13/2009 11:41:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I checked out a Mossy 464 straight stock the other day at the gunshop.  It seems OK.  It has both a tang safety and a lever safety.  The Marlin 336 has a cross receiver safety and a lever safety.  The Marlin hasn't got a 1/2 cock while the Mossy does.  I figure that you could deactivate the tang safety on the Mossy and mount a tang sight over the hole and use you the 1/2 cock.  

The Mossy's action is a bit stiff and the trigger is heavy but I'm sure an action job would fix that, just like you'd have to do on the Marlin.  The Mossy feels better at the shoulder than the Marlin with it's fat fore and butt stock.  To be honest, I wasn't impressed with either the Mossy or the Marlin.  

I have not seen a Marlin yet that does not have a half cock position regardles of the cross bolt safety.  And while the lever does need to be locked up like a Winnie, it does not need to be squeezed for the trigger to unlock.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 1:38:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not seen a Marlin yet that does not have a half cock position regardles of the cross bolt safety.  And while the lever does need to be locked up like a Winnie, it does not need to be squeezed for the trigger to unlock.

Check out the newest ones, they don't have one.

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 4:58:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Check out the newest ones, they don't have one.

Hmmmmm, I fingered a couple over the weekend and they all operated normally, I looked online and the owners manual all reference using half cock..... and just to be sure I called up the owner of my local fun shop and he says they all have the halfcock position.  

Anybody else noticing that there is no halfcock?  I hate the cross bolt safety and if they do a way with the halfcock I guess I better run out and get a couple more before that happens....

Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:56:11 PM EDT
[#21]
What are the advantages to a half cock hammer vs a rebounding hammer or visa versa?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:56:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Well, stopped in the local funshop yesterday, he had a like new, I would say 95% plus, marlin 336 pre safety on the used rack I am going to lay away tommorrow, so the mossberg is on hold for the time being
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I've always liked the Winchester design better than the Marlin, just a matter of taste, and am glad to see someone bring the '94 back.  I've never had one, and I've had/have several, that wouldn't shoot as good as I can or better, especially after mounting a decent receiver sight.  I don't care for the "additional" safeties that both the Winchester/Mossberg and Marlin's have, but I can live with one on the tag much better than on the receiver.  The reported extractor problem does concern and puzzle me tho, how can you copy a successful, 100 y/o plus design and have problems with something as simple as an extractor?

Rob

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've always liked the Winchester design better than the Marlin, just a matter of taste, and am glad to see someone bring the '94 back.  I've never had one, and I've had/have several, that wouldn't shoot as good as I can or better, especially after mounting a decent receiver sight.  I don't care for the "additional" safeties that both the Winchester/Mossberg and Marlin's have, but I can live with one on the tag much better than on the receiver.  The reported extractor problem does concern and puzzle me tho, how can you copy a successful, 100 y/o plus design and have problems with something as simple as an extractor?

Rob

Because its not a direct copy of a '94, its a hybrid design thats a little bit Winchester, and a little bit Marlin, and a little bit something else. It has a round bolt and spring steel extractor similar to the Marlin 336. It also has a receiver bridge at the rear.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

Because its not a direct copy of a '94, its a hybrid design thats a little bit Winchester, and a little bit Marlin, and a little bit something else. It has a round bolt and spring steel extractor similar to the Marlin 336. It also has a receiver bridge at the rear.

Thanks for the info.  Think I'll have to pass then.

Rob

Link Posted: 9/18/2009 8:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
FWIW it does look like it'll be a good design, once they deal with the temper issue on the extractor, and it does seem like it's been a while since there have been any new complaints.

The round bolt was probably a major cost saving change, and the reason that its possible to bring the rifle in at a value price. I have the feeling that if somebody was to bring back a pure version of the '94, it certainly won't be value-priced.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

<snip>

Hmmmmm, I fingered a couple over the weekend and they all operated normally, I looked online and the owners manual all reference using half cock..... and just to be sure I called up the owner of my local fun shop and he says they all have the halfcock position.  

Anybody else noticing that there is no halfcock?  I hate the cross bolt safety and if they do a way with the halfcock I guess I better run out and get a couple more before that happens....

I bought a brand new 336 last year & it has a half-cock, and so has every Marlin that I've handled.

As for what I think of the Mossberg, it's a good lookin' rifle, but I don't like top ejection on a levergun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top