Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2009 6:30:57 PM EDT
Long story short. 2 weeks ago I found out my wife is pregnant with our second child. Fast forward to friday, Im laid off. Ive been patient and have kept my eyes open locally for months now to find a NIB Marlin 336C. The cheaper "combo" packages with the beech stock, scope and gold trigger can be found around here for a dime a dozen but I wanted the walnut beauty. I finally came across one about a month ago and snatched it up. I havent shot it yet but its such a beautiful rifle. Times are about to get tough financially and I feel I need to part with it. What would you guys do? Heres the promised pics...............

UPDATE: Found a job a and pays the same. Ill be keeping this beauty for now. Lot of overtime available so maybe some range time in the future. Shot it last weekend for the first time and now I cant let it go. Thanks for all the kind words.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Thats a tough call.  Congrats on the baby sorry to hear about the job.  I was looking for one of those pretty rifles myself.  Worst case if you have to sell it keep me in mind but if you don't have to hold on to it
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thats a tough call.  Congrats on the baby sorry to hear about the job.  I was looking for one of those pretty rifles myself.  Worst case if you have to sell it keep me in mind but if you don't have to hold on to it

Thanks man. I dont want to get rid of it to a dealer because I know Ill get raped. Ill keep you in mind.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks man. I dont want to get rid of it to a dealer because I know Ill get raped. Ill keep you in mind.
i say get rid of it. you havnt shot it yet, so just tell your self it shoots like shit, and throw it on the EE

Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Beautiful gun. Can you come up with something else to part with? You'll have seller regret for sure. If you put it for sale, you can always let me know. Congrats on the baby.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
It might be a long shot, but do you know someone (family, friend) that you could sell it to on terms to buy it back when things get better.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 6:53:31 PM EDT
[#6]
As long as it isn't your primary defense weapon I say you gota do what you gota do.

I'm a father myself. Family trumps all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#7]
You know, if it wasn't a Marlin made within the past few years, like one from the 60s or 70s, I'd say keep it, but in this case, if you need the extra cash, get rid of it.  You can always get another Marlin 336 just like that later on down the road.  Marlin is still crankin those out with no signs of stoppin.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 1:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You know, if it wasn't a Marlin made within the past few years, like one from the 60s or 70s, I'd say keep it, but in this case, if you need the extra cash, get rid of it.  You can always get another Marlin 336 just like that later on down the road.  Marlin is still crankin those out with no signs of stoppin.

+1 Take care of that fam!
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the kind words guys. Already had one interview this week and have another scheduled for tomorrow so Im gonna hang on to it until I see whats happening with those jobs. I dont want to have a knee jerk reaction to losing my job and start selling my guns off if I dont need to.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
That sling makes me nervious.

It looks good, but that huge metal buckle there in the middle is just waiting for it's big chance to lay a nice gouge in the Marlin.

Good luck. I remember being where you are now...about 30 years ago. I sold some guns, a dirt bike and a few other things. Family comes first. I was able to buy more toys later... a lot later.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the Marlin lever action rifles.  My first hunting rifle was a Marlin 336 30-30 and I hunted with up all the way through college when I was finally able to spend some real cash on some rifles.  Great guns.  I've harvested countless deer and wild dogs with mine and it never skipped a beat.  KEEP IT.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It might be a long shot, but do you know someone (family, friend) that you could sell it to on terms to buy it back when things get better.

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 6:09:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you use it to put meat on the table first and then consider selling it? Are there other items you could sell first? Yard sale?

If you need to sell it, then sell it. You know better than any of us.

BTW, where did you get the ammo carrier? Sell it? Is that an M1 Garand sling? I would consider buying both off you. IM me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#14]
It is a safety model...Sell it.  When you get back on your feet you can find a pre safety model.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 1:35:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Sell it and but another one later.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Are you sure its your kid?

Link Posted: 8/3/2009 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear about the job I too am laid off at the moment.  But I havent sold any of my guns or anything else for that matter.  Here is why I have sold nothing though,  If the couple hundred dollars or so that you will make off of selling your gun is going to make a difference in your life then it is too late anyhow and you need to be looking at the bigger picture and maybe be down at Mcdonalds or any other job. That couple hundred dollars is just like this stimulous package it isnt going to solve anything.  Good luck to you and your family. Congrats on the new baby.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
In all honesty, its just a gun.  Not something your grandfather passed down to you or such to make it special.

Someone somewhere will give you your money back or even a posible profit.

You can buy a lot of diapers & formula for what you can get out of it and family has got to come first.  When you're back on your feet, you'll find another one just like it or one even better.

Sometimes, being a responsible grown up sucks.
MLG
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Sell it, You will be able to get something exactly like it in a few months when shit turns back around for you.
Link Posted: 8/5/2009 12:41:13 AM EDT
[#20]
If it's a toy, and you have plenty of others for hunting, and various use, then by all means, I'd consider it expendable.
If it's the only reliable centerfire you've got, don't sell it under any circumstances.  I would also think long and hard
about which guns you truly need, and make a promise to yourself to keep them.  I've been in similar shoes more than once,
and it's helped me make the right choice a couple times.

Best of luck to you and your family!
Link Posted: 8/6/2009 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Sell it.  336c's are all over and they aren't going to quit making them anytime soon.  Take care of your family first.
Link Posted: 8/9/2009 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Now that you have a job (happy for you), you can afford something better than that cheap, ineffective, anemic, obsolete rifle like object.

I'll give you $50 for it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:48:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Glad to hear that you can keep her AR77.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top