Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2017 11:47:37 PM EDT
I just picked up a used AMSEC BF3416. It's got the black speckled finish and a some rust here and there. I was debating stripping the safe and painting it with some nice auto paint. It seems that there is no place online to buy the Palusol brand seals, and in general expanding fire seals are pretty damn expensive.

I was wondering if I could just carefully remove the seal, then stick it back on with some fresh 3m tape.

Otherwise, it would be awesome to find a source for this stuff that didn't cost an arm and a leg.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just picked up a used AMSEC BF3416. It's got the black speckled finish and a some rust here and there. I was debating stripping the safe and painting it with some nice auto paint. It seems that there is no place online to buy the Palusol brand seals, and in general expanding fire seals are pretty damn expensive.

I was wondering if I could just carefully remove the seal, then stick it back on with some fresh 3m tape.

Otherwise, it would be awesome to find a source for this stuff that didn't cost an arm and a leg.
View Quote

That should work just fine. Just make sure to get the corners close so the gaps are minimal, and paint away!
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That should work just fine. Just make sure to get the corners close so the gaps are minimal, and paint away!
View Quote
@TheSafeGuy

Is the other rubber seal just hardware store quality stuff or something special?

Anyway to get some of those nice American Security stickers for when I'm done? I've emailed a few dealers w/ no responses yet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@TheSafeGuy

Is the other rubber seal just hardware store quality stuff or something special?

Anyway to get some of those nice American Security stickers for when I'm done? I've emailed a few dealers w/ no responses yet.
View Quote
The seal is Silicone, not rubber, and has a very high temperature flashpoint (~700ºF). This is a key element in the door sealing architecture.

As for "stickers", not sure what you need. We have not used sticky-backed decals/logos/graphics on our safes for 12-13 years, so there's not likely anything left to share. Send me a PM with a photo and description with Color so I can check and see what we might have in the archives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top