Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 12/29/2016 9:23:51 PM EDT
This

I'm looking for decent cameras. Starting with 4. Wanting to add 2-4 more down the road. Plug and play type install. Under $600. Any other/better options?
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#1]
This is better

Got this for my moms house. Excellent system. She's had it installed well over a year and the only hiccups were solved by simply rebooting the system (which they recommend doing once a week). Those hiccups have only happened twice.

The interface is very easy to use, both online, in person, and on the app.

The only downside I found was mounting. If you don't want the wires hanging out, you have to drill a 1/2" hole. Other than that, I love the system, and will get one for my house eventually.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
This

I'm looking for decent cameras. Starting with 4. Wanting to add 2-4 more down the road. Plug and play type install. Under $600. Any other/better options?
View Quote

Go with ReoLink on Amazon. Get the 4K cameras. You should be able to get an 8port NVR with (4) 4K cameras for under 600
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Go with ReoLink on Amazon. Get the 4K cameras. You should be able to get an 8port move with 4 4K cameras for under 600
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This

Go with ReoLink on Amazon. Get the 4K cameras. You should be able to get an 8port move with 4 4K cameras for under 600

How user friendly is this?  I see is says zero configuration.  I need a system for someone that is probably less than technically inclined.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:15:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How user friendly is this?  I see is says zero configuration.  I need a system for someone that is probably less than technically inclined.
View Quote

It is literally plug and play. The hardest part is setting up the NVR to work on the TV. I had to use a VGA cable on the TV, because the NVR was defaulted set at 1440 I think, so my (older) flat screen wouldn't pick it up. When I got it working and set it for 1080, it connected via HDMI no problem.

After that, you can set everything up on the TV, scan the small 3d barcode on the machine with your phone, and it'll ask for you login information, and then immediately go to your set up. Then you just plug the cameras in and they go to work right away.

You can then mess with the tons of settings that are available.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very user friendly. Three screws to mount camera. Plug in Ethernet to camera. Hook NVR to tv. Done. Even comes with its own mouse. You can click on what cam you want to watch or multiple screens at same time. 

Play back is simple. Tell it when you want to watch. Rewind, ff at multiple speeds. 

Has motion, 24/7 or scheduled recording . I have it record 24/7 and email me pics when it detects motion. easy to set up.

You can block out areas not look for motion such as flags and roads. Adjusting the sensitivity was the worst part. Turned up it detects every blowing leaf.  Once you get that dialed in You only get a couple phantom emails. 

cant say enough about it. I have seen serious commercial systems looks a lot worse than these. 

Eta. App for phone is super easy as well.

no lights on my side of street

Porch cam for packages. 

Bad pic of monitor. Not screen shot. Car prob going 35mph. No blur with 4k@30fps 
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Very impressive.  I put it in my wish list.  I always planned to have a redundant second system, and this one looks like it fits the bill.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Can someone link those Reolinks? Not sure which one is the good one.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 12:27:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here

At one point it was cheaper to buy the cameras and NVR separately, it doesn't appear as though that's the case anymore. These include the bullet cameras, but domes are available. Stats-wise they are identical, however the domes night vision is 65' compared to the bullet at 99' (iirc).

Another thing you'll need is ethernet cable. I used Cat6, but I believe Cat5/5e will work fine. I did the first two cameras with pre-terminated cable, then bought a termination kit and made the rest of the cables myself. Do yourself a favor and buy a kit to terminate the cable yourself, it saves SO much frustration.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for y'alls input.  Will be buying soon.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm happy to find this thread as I've been looking hard at the Swann 3mp and 4mp systems, but the Reolink looks good too. Looks like I have some more research to do. I'm curious about additional camera options for the Reolink systems.

Eta: Now I'm interested.

Link Posted: 12/31/2016 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Here

At one point it was cheaper to buy the cameras and NVR separately, it doesn't appear as though that's the case anymore. These include the bullet cameras, but domes are available. Stats-wise they are identical, however the domes night vision is 65' compared to the bullet at 99' (iirc).

Another thing you'll need is ethernet cable. I used Cat6, but I believe Cat5/5e will work fine. I did the first two cameras with pre-terminated cable, then bought a termination kit and made the rest of the cables myself. Do yourself a favor and buy a kit to terminate the cable yourself, it saves SO much frustration.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here

Just a heads up. Just went on sale. $439.  Just bought. I hope y'all are right and it's good.  Lol.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I went this route

https://www.amazon.com/Amcrest-Full-HD-1080P-Security-System/dp/B00RKNRDKA/ref=sr_1_25?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1483221225&sr=1-25&keywords=amcrest 1080p&tag=vglnk-c102-20

This is what came out-

I am very happy with it.  It is not the greatest for detecting motion, either goes to much or not enough.  Still working on it though.  Very easy set up.  Hardest part was running the wires, which was not bad.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Someone stole my trailer from the side of my house yesterday. 

So, that means it's past time for a system. The reolink looks good. Can anyone tell me if the cameras have aluminum or plastic housings? Is the lense glass? The AZ sunshine isn't too friendly to plastic things.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Housings are aluminum. Not sure about lense cover. They appear to be very well built. 
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:10:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks like Reolink is having a sale right now. I snagged a 16 channel NVR and and some cameras after I looked them up and found this.

Attachment Attached File

Figured I'd pass this on since this thread got me a good deal. I am not affiliated with Reolink in any way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 4:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
This made me buy right away. 8ch 4-4mp cameras for $439.  I was sold.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 6:43:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I see there is an option for cameras, bullet and or dome. What is the difference between the bullet cameras and the dome cameras? How far can they be from the DVR? Can I run 200' of cable and have it still work?

ETA it says 330' with cat6 cable on reolink website. Still looking for camera info.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#19]
It is about look, and where you are going to mount it.  The bullet cameras can be mounted on a wall or a ceiling/overhang, the dome cameras really only can be mounted on a ceiling/overhang.  The dome cameras blend into the house a bit better and are more low profile than a bullet camera if you are looking for that.  

I remember reading a while back the dome cameras have a wider field of view, but i have both and i don't see much of a difference.  

I did notice my bullet cameras have more IR leds in the unit than the dome.   I went with dome in the front and they blended in really nice and i did bullet in the back, for the extra LEDs.  Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I see there is an option for cameras, bullet and or dome. What is the difference between the bullet cameras and the dome cameras? How far can they be from the DVR? Can I run 200' of cable and have it still work?

ETA it says 330' with cat6 cable on reolink website. Still looking for camera info.
View Quote

Generally speaking, bullets are easiest to work with as far as mounting/positioning. They offer little protection from someone knocking or repositioning them, so the higher you can mount them, the better.

Domes and turrets require a bit more work to install (nothing terrible imo) but are more tamper-resistant and are better choices for lower mounting positions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Have been looking at cameras I can afford. I have a very tight budget. I have my garage full of tools, reloading setup that I can't put in outside she'd or detached garage due to recent thugs jumping fences and hitting shops.

Also looking for a alarm for shed/garage. Can't afford a full Lyric system to cover everything right now. And the crap remote hron strobes leave all my tools and reloading stuff vulnerable.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Couple questions from a camera dummy if you all don't mind.

How would the system above compare to-

LaView

And what is the difference between that LaView and this one besides price? - LaView on amazon
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Couple questions from a camera dummy if you all don't mind.

How would the system above compare to-

LaView

And what is the difference between that LaView and this one besides price? - LaView on amazon
View Quote

From what I can see. Laview ebay is 2mp cameras and Amazon laview is 3mp and the reolink is 4mp
Also Laview ebay  is 1tg hard drive. Laview amazon is 4. and reolink is 2.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Here

View Quote

Does this system record on all cameras at the same time? I currently have a system but it only records one at a time.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#25]
99.9% sure records all cameras.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 8:38:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#27]
@TheGrayMan What is your opinion on the LaView systems? Are they not rebranded hikvision?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

From what I can see. Laview ebay is 2mp cameras and Amazon laview is 3mp and the reolink is 4mp
Also Laview ebay  is 1tg hard drive. Laview amazon is 4. and reolink is 2.
View Quote

If they are all 1080p what does the mp mean or what is the advantages to the higher one?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:21:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd have to do a search on that one... not sure
View Quote

Grayman. I already bought the system. So I will be a test dummy. But I need to add more cameras. Just wondering. Any reason I shouldn't use This camera with a 4x optical zoom?
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:41:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Do you have to use shielded Cat6 cable or is un-shielded ok? Big price difference if buying 1000 feet.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Wait... you bought the Swann system, and you want to add a reolink camera to it?  

That's probably not going to work.
View Quote

I think he bought the $439 system from Reolink.   This one.

But I'm curious why wouldn't it work?  An NVR only likes to work with it's own brand of camera?  

I have no idea why they can't all be on some standard way of "talking" to each other.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 12:35:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Wait... you bought the Swann system, and you want to add a reolink camera to it?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grayman. I already bought the system. So I will be a test dummy. But I need to add more cameras. Just wondering. Any reason I shouldn't use This camera with a 4x optical zoom?

So sorry. Yes I bought the reolink system. Figure I would try it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 1:43:51 AM EDT
[#35]
What do you guys think about using a security camera system like the Reolink you've been discussing versus using something like the SimpliSafe all-in-one system...?

Pros/cons?  I realize they're not quite apples-to-apples, the SimpliSafe being a monitored system with smoke/motion detectors...but for security when you're away from home...what do ya think?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So the Reolink cams aren't a rebranded Hikvision or Dahua.  They appear to be made by These guys

Don't know anything about them.  You will have to decide whether the extra 1MP is worth using the new/untested company.
View Quote

I'll do what I can to post some pics and info on them when my order arrives. Granted I don't really have anything great for comparison, as I'll be replacing an older analog system. Some of the cameras on it are recent (but cheap) replacements and claim 1200 TVL, but still... it's definitely time for an upgrade.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 4:36:16 PM EDT
[#38]
FYI, the one with two bullets and two domes went up to $549. The one with four bullets is still $439
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 9:38:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
FYI, the one with two bullets and two domes went up to $549. The one with four bullets is still $439
View Quote

Reolink has a couple different Amazon stores. The one with the dome cameras is still available for $439 here - 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010UH3NQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

I Fent. 
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Reolink has a couple different Amazon stores. The one with the dome cameras is still available for $439 here - 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010UH3NQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&&tag=vglnk-c102-20;psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

I Fent. 
View Quote

It was $549.  Sale ended early on some of the products. I wrote them. Because I needed some extra cameras. They fixed it. Sale ends tonight.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 10:49:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

It was $549.  Sale ended early on some of the products. I wrote them. Because I needed some extra cameras. They fixed it. Sale ends tonight.
View Quote

Sweet, I cancelled my order for 4 bullet and got the 2 bullet/2 dome once they adjusted the price.
Link Posted: 1/3/2017 11:47:53 PM EDT
[#42]
They seem to run a lot of sales if you look at their FB page. If you miss this one just wait for the next, it probably won't be long.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:15:00 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010UH3NQ0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&&tag=vglnk-c102-20;psc=1&tag=vglnk-c102-20

I Fent. 
View Quote
I fent too. Truck was broken into last night and my Beretta 92FS was stolen.   I hope this is an easy install. 
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 12:16:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
They seem to run a lot of sales if you look at their FB page. If you miss this one just wait for the next, it probably won't be long.
View Quote
This is their first large drop on Amazon, and by far the lowest price they've ever had. 

Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:16:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This is their first large drop on Amazon, and by far the lowest price they've ever had. 

https://s27.postimg.org/ue3cu2clv/Capture.jpg
View Quote

Normally I like camelcamelcamel a lot, but for some reason it appears to be horribly inaccurate with Reolink pricing. This is one of the items I purchased the other day vs what camel says the lowest price ever is.

Attachment Attached File

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Reolink-RLN16-410-4Megapixels-Recorder/dp/B01DELNN82/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1483505192&sr=8-3&keywords=reolink nvr&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 1:26:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Normally I like camelcamelcamel a lot, but for some reason it appears to be horribly inaccurate with Reolink pricing. This is one of the items I purchased the other day vs what camel says the lowest price ever is.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/61196/Camel3-119403.JPG

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Reolink-RLN16-410-4Megapixels-Recorder/dp/B01DELNN82/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&&tag=vglnk-c102-20;qid=1483505192&sr=8-3&keywords=reolink nvr&tag=vglnk-c102-20
View Quote

It can be several days behind, so I'm guessing it'll show up eventually. The 20% off sale (which is reflected in your purchase) has only been going on since the 29th.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#47]
What's the best way to connect this to my router?  Should the box be right next to it?  Will the recordings be recorded to the cloud or something in the event the box is destroyed or stolen?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:04:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
What's the best way to connect this to my router?  Should the box be right next to it?  Will the recordings be recorded to the cloud or something in the event the box is destroyed or stolen?
View Quote

Just use ethernet cable to the box, it'll connect just fine. I don't believe Reolink has a cloud back-up. IIRC you can hook up a SATA HDD to it though. Personally, either put it someplace out of the way, or get one of those strong boxes that contain the NVR systems.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Just use ethernet cable to the box, it'll connect just fine. I don't believe Reolink has a cloud back-up. IIRC you can hook up a SATA HDD to it though. Personally, either put it someplace out of the way, or get one of those strong boxes that contain the NVR systems.
View Quote
Would it be a bad idea to mount the box in the attic?  What kind of temperature fluctuation can it take?
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 11:54:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Would it be a bad idea to mount the box in the attic?  What kind of temperature fluctuation can it take?
View Quote

I would say in TX, that probably isn't a great idea. Any electronics in extreme heat will lower it's life expectancy. If you have a spare closet, or utility room, that's probably a decent spot.

Otherwise, something like this probably would be a decent step, bolt it to some studs and it would slow some one down enough while authorities are on the way from being notified by your security system. You have one of those too, right?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top