Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2015 8:56:17 PM EDT
Are there any home lighting systems out there where you can control your lights via smart phone (over the Internet) while away from home and do not require a yearly fee?

I have Protection One (the latest and greatest system they offer ) and am pleased with the system and their response to an alarm (I've been a customer for 15yrs, but just recently moved)... I know they offer this function with their system (it has Z Wave, wireless, etc), but I'm sure they are going to probably hammer me on the switches and I'm positive it will cost me more per month* than what I'm paying now. I haven't contacted them to see what the costs involved would be.

*A positive I can see going with P1, is that if something does get flubbed I can call them, and I suspect the lights are controlled through the same app as my Alarm.

FWIW: Their image sensors in their motion detectors are total crap, you couldn't make out a face to save your life. Also, since my alarm is cellular, I could still operate the lights if the Internet goes down... Though I could be wrong, since when the system was being installed; I inquired about other options and they said I would need wifi for those (Internet had/t been hooked up yet.)

I'd like to be able to turn the outside lights off w/o running all over the house flipping switches before bed, that would be nice.

Regards!
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Is something like OpenHAB (free and open source home automation software for smartphones) what you're looking for?

http://www.openhab.org/features/ui.html

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 11:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have x10 rf switches to turn things on and off. Works great with there remote I can control lights and fans  around the house and  the waterfall pump out front in the yard.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:52:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I use iris from lowes, $35 for the hub and it uses zwave to communicate. Free service but they do also offer a premium subscription for $10 for advanced settings like camera storage etc. worth looking into.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I use Wink, and control all my lights at home. I also have the outside lights on a schedule that adjusts based on sunrise and sunset.

Check it out: Wink

I use the Lutron switches because they are LED dimmable. I have switched every switch in the house over as well. The application on your phone is also compatible with Android Wear if you are interested in that as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use Wink, and control all my lights at home. I also have the outside lights on a schedule that adjusts based on sunrise and sunset.

Check it out: Wink

I use the Lutron switches because they are LED dimmable. I have switched every switch in the house over as well. The application on your phone is also compatible with Android Wear if you are interested in that as well.
View Quote

What's your overall experience with it?  I was looking at smartthings.com which is similar to Wink, but reading into a lot of people seems to complain about smartthings.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 7:19:39 AM EDT
[#6]
For free its absolutely great. It works great, and connects with just about every communication option out there. Installation of switches is simple. I like the switches since I can use a physical button on the wall to change the lights, but I do have some of the GE bulbs in the basement. Those do need your phone to turn them off and on, or set them to monitor another switch in the house and go on and off with that.

If you have bad reception in one part of the house, just add another hub. Keep an eye out for deals on the hubs and products. I bought mine when they first came out, and had a deal for the hub when you buy two light bulbs.

Overall reliability only keeps getting better. They keep adding products, and keep improving the software. Quite honestly, its the most affordable of the options, and also seems to be the most reliable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Vera Lite for my home automation. The remote functionality is no charge, and works great paired with GE zwave switches and outlets. Fully programmable for scenes and triggers. I recommend.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the advice guys. Turns out P1 doesn't charge to activate or use Z Wave, it just wasn't turned on, it is now and I'll go check out light switches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top