Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2015 7:07:38 PM EDT
I don't know if anybody has noticed it or not and I don't think I've seen it on here but a few things have changed about the Fatboy Jr.

The older Fatboy Jr's had 11 ga steel body with 45 minutes of fire protection. I have to say that I didn't know this. I got mine in December and I guess it's the

newest model because one of the reasons I bought it was it was a heavier steel construction than other safes I was looking at that only had 12 ga. Now it might not seem like much

difference but it's like 50% thicker than 12 ga. Plus it has 15 more minutes of fire protection at 60 minutes. I also got it out the door for right at $1200.  It is heavier at 760 lbs.

I might have been out of the loop or hadn't started doing research on these before I checked out this safe but I didn't realize they had been upgraded. Did anyone else notice this?
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't know if anybody has noticed it or not and I don't think I've seen it on here but a few things have changed about the Fatboy Jr.

The older Fatboy Jr's had 11 ga steel body with 45 minutes of fire protection. I have to say that I didn't know this. I got mine in December and I guess it's the

newest model because one of the reasons I bought it was it was a heavier steel construction than other safes I was looking at that only had 12 ga. Now it might not seem like much

difference but it's like 50% thicker than 12 ga. Plus it has 15 more minutes of fire protection at 60 minutes. I also got it out the door for right at $1200.  It is heavier at 760 lbs.

I might have been out of the loop or hadn't started doing research on these before I checked out this safe but I didn't realize they had been upgraded. Did anyone else notice this?
View Quote

I dont have a thickness chart with me but the difference from 11 to 12 gauge is closer to 12 percent if i recall correctly. Not 50. Just fyi.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#2]
11 gauge is .12 inches thick
12 gauge is .109 inches thick

12 gauge is thinner by ~ 9%

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 11:18:44 AM EDT
[#3]
11 gauge is .12 inches thick
12 gauge is .109 inches thick

View Quote

To add further perspective:

A basic, entry level TL-15 burglary rated plate safe, using the same type of steel, would have 1" walls, and a 1.5" door.  So a safe designed to keep somebody out for 15 minutes would have a body over 8 times thicker than 11 gauge steel, and a door over 12 times thicker.

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:25:32 PM EDT
[#4]
sorry I didn't get it down to the "T" It's amazing how the whole point of a post goes out the window because someone didn't get everything perfect even though it wasn't really the point.

I was just informing people that in case they didn't know the specs of the safe have changed with the newer models. For me this helped me make my decision. I have gone over and over reading about

safes and what I would need to protect my guns and I've come to a couple of conclusions.

1: IF you need an 1" thick steel safe that gives you, lets say less than an hour for saw cutting, than your shit stole anyway whether you have 1" thick steel or 12 ga steel. Burglers wait until your gone most of the time. Your not going to be gone for 15 minutes and then back at home most of the time. So they will have the time they need.

If they come prepared to rob a 12 ga safe they will also get in to a 1" thick steel safe with more time. So your shit is still took.

2: I basically want enough protection to keep smash and grab people out of my safe. Which will cover the majority of criminals. Again referring to above Criminals who come prepared to rob a 11 or 12ga safe will also get into a 1" steel safe given enough time.

3: The money required to purchase a 1" thick quality safe will be substantially higher than a 11 ga safe and does my needs outweight the potential for someone prepared enough to get into that thick of a safe. I have found no they don't. I'm an ffl and store guns at my home so I feel my chances are higher than most people but still don't feel the need to go bigger.

So getting back to the Idea of the OP it was all about whether or not people knew this safe, which is a very popular safe, had changed it's protection level for 2015 or not. I'd say some people don't.
These changes may change their mind about this safe just like it did mine.

I just want to think those people who sit at their computer and do nothing more than to live for the chance to catch people spelling something wrong or not getting the facts completely correct. Even though
it doesn't change the main theme of the post to begin with.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sorry I didn't get it down to the "T" It's amazing how the whole point of a post goes out the window because someone didn't get everything perfect even though it wasn't really the point.

I was just informing people that in case they didn't know the specs of the safe have changed with the newer models. For me this helped me make my decision. I have gone over and over reading about

safes and what I would need to protect my guns and I've come to a couple of conclusions.

1: IF you need an 1" thick steel safe that gives you, lets say less than an hour for saw cutting, than your shit stole anyway whether you have 1" thick steel or 12 ga steel. Burglers wait until your gone most of the time. Your not going to be gone for 15 minutes and then back at home most of the time. So they will have the time they need.

If they come prepared to rob a 12 ga safe they will also get in to a 1" thick steel safe with more time. So your shit is still took.

2: I basically want enough protection to keep smash and grab people out of my safe. Which will cover the majority of criminals. Again referring to above Criminals who come prepared to rob a 11 or 12ga safe will also get into a 1" steel safe given enough time.

3: The money required to purchase a 1" thick quality safe will be substantially higher than a 11 ga safe and does my needs outweight the potential for someone prepared enough to get into that thick of a safe. I have found no they don't. I'm an ffl and store guns at my home so I feel my chances are higher than most people but still don't feel the need to go bigger.

So getting back to the Idea of the OP it was all about whether or not people knew this safe, which is a very popular safe, had changed it's protection level for 2015 or not. I'd say some people don't.
These changes may change their mind about this safe just like it did mine.

I just want to think those people who sit at their computer and do nothing more than to live for the chance to catch people spelling something wrong or not getting the facts completely correct. Even though
it doesn't change the main theme of the post to begin with.
View Quote

We are just trying to help. If someone reads that post and doesnt understand how gauge thickness works then 50 percent could very well make them choose a safe they wouldnt have if they had known that.

For someone who isnt math oriented then it makes no difference. They probably dont even comprehend what that means. For a math oriented person 50 percent vs 9 percent certainly changes the entire post. 50 percent is a completely different ball game than 9.

I wasnt commenting as to whether that makes a measurable difference or not, as i not knowledgeable enough about safes to know. I was just trying to clarify it for people who arent familiar with sheet metal.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Fatboy Jr sitting waiting for pick up. If this stupid weather will clear, I'll be going to get it tomorrow. And yes they have upgraded it to a 60 min rating and a bit thicker steel. I just wish mine would have come with the nice door panel that most of the other Jr's come with, but I bought at Gander and didn't realize till it was too late to do anything different.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Going from 12 gauge to 11 gauge isn't very much of a difference, but I suppose every little bit helps to slow down the average meth head I suppose.

---Aaron
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top