Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2015 1:49:31 PM EDT
http://www.thegunbox.com/

This is a pretty sweet, hi-tech, aesthetically appealing handgun safe that doesn't necessarily blow a budget when compared to other handgun safes.  Looking for my first safe before purchasing my first handgun.  Any pros/cons that might steer someone toward or away from this product?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I prefer a mechanical simplex lock.

Fingerprint scanners are notoriously finicky and often don't work.
The RFID items require that you have them on you or within arms reach at all times.
And beyond all of that, electronic devices fail, period.

I like a big old manual box that I can put in place and access with nothing but the number in my brain.
Of course, I'm sort of a dinosaur.

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally, I prefer a mechanical simplex lock.

Fingerprint scanners are notoriously finicky and often don't work.
The RFID items require that you have them on you or within arms reach at all times.
And beyond all of that, electronic devices fail, period.

I like a big old manual box that I can put in place and access with nothing but the number in my brain.
Of course, I'm sort of a dinosaur.

View Quote

This!

I have a pistol sized under a shelf in the master closet, and a long arm sized one with a shotgun in it.

The ones with the simplex lock are a bit pricy, but you never have to worry about battery/electronics failure, and it can be opened in total darkness.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top