Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2014 5:27:23 PM EDT
Has anyone seen a negative impact on leaving your safe door open for an hour or so or even all day long.

Im talking from a structural aspect, not the "safe is only good against theft if door is closed". lol
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Should not be an issue if it's a well constructed safe.

The door on most is hanging on the hinges when closed anyway.  If it sagging, it's not a very good safe.

The only concern I would have if it's a narrow (depthwise) and not lagged down.  Might tip if the door is heavy but that should be obvious pretty quick.

ETA:  I would be concerned about moisture.  I have desiccant in mine to control humidity.  I don't leave it open so that the desiccant lasts longer between drying cycles.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
The wear and tear that results in problems is caused by the process of swinging the door open and closed.  Theoretically, opening the door and leaving it open is better for it than opening and closing it twice.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep my door closed but not necessarily locked if I need to get into it frequently.  I like to keep the dry air inside and the moist air out.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:31:20 PM EDT
[#4]
An open safe is not safe. Okay, smart-ass remark, but we see this all the time. Get in the habit of leaving a safe open or unlocked, then rush off for some reason and forget to lock it up, bad day if a fire, burglary or a curious toddler happens in your absence. Close and lock it up, every time you get in it. Make it a ritual. Humidity prevention is better, and you will never ask yourself, "did I lock the safe" when you're miles away.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This is my habit now...i will shut and lock it and then 5 min later remember i  need inside it. so that is why i was asking about leaving it open but I get how easy it would be to leave the property with it wide open.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 2:51:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
An open safe is not safe. Okay, smart-ass remark, but we see this all the time. Get in the habit of leaving a safe open or unlocked, then rush off for some reason and forget to lock it up, bad day if a fire, burglary or a curious toddler happens in your absence. Close and lock it up, every time you get in it. Make it a ritual. Humidity prevention is better, and you will never ask yourself, "did I lock the safe" when you're miles away.
View Quote

This is where electronic locks are far superior to mechanical locks. Entering a code is much quicker and easier than turning a dial 10 times and the auto locking feature of many electronic locks ensures that you won't forget to extend the lock bolt every time.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 11:01:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Good argument.  I can understand a ritual of keeping it open, then shutting it when going somewhere, but in the case of a fire you might not have an opportunity to enter the room and close it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top