Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 11:02:47 AM EDT
I want to drop a small safe between the floor joists, and conceal the whole thing under the carpet. Ideally it would come with a flat cover, or I would can make one.  Problem is, all the floor safes i've looked at seem to be designed to be set in concrete, there seem to be very little offerings specifically for wooden floors.

Basically, I need something like that, but more substantial, with a thicker door and body and a combo lock:  http://www.deansafe.com/stsaqkrvsaor.html

can someone steer me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:09:02 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.amsecusa.com/floor-safes/brute/

Up to 16x36 inches in size.

Electronic lock.

Thicker steel.

For less money, Home Depot's website has sub-par ones for $133 ones with no-name electronic locks and thin steel.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:25:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Most real safe companies will have the ability to fabricate whatever mounting solution is required for your purposes.  I have installed regular floor safes in concrete floors, wood floors, wall, motorhomes, boats, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:42:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A competent installer can make a floor safe install in a wood floor perfectly secure. The simple solutions include placing the safe next to a joist, and running big lag bolts into the joist from the inside to anchor it securely. Installing a few 2x4 blocks inside around the opening to frame the cut in the floor adds strength and support for the floor cutout. Some contractors build a plywood box in a floor cutout large enough to install the floor safe in a concrete pocket just like you would in a slab install. That provides a degree of fire resistance too, as well as a strong install.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top