Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2014 11:24:01 PM EDT
So, I have two questions this evening.

1) Does a safe exist that has dimensions along the lines of  22.5" wide x 30" deep x 65" high? The room I'm currently staying in looks like this:

The closet is at the top of the image. The doors only cover the middle half of the closet, and the rest of the closet goes the full width of the room, behind the walls. I sort of like the idea of tucking a safe into one of those areas behind the walls. Some safes are small enough that they would fit (the SnapSafe Titan, for instance). I guess what I'm really wondering is it anyone makes a safe that would fit, but is deeper than it is wide (to make full use of the space. I could possibly see this working if gun racks were on a drawer that could extend out the door, allowing access to the guns in the back. This might be a really oddball request, but I'm curious if anyone makes something like this.

2) I'm looking into quick access gun lockers that could store a rifle and a sidearm. I'd like something that I can store vertically, preferably with a mechanical lock. Is the V-Line rifle case (http://vlineind.com/ProductDetail.php?product_id=34) my only option?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:05:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  If you can locate a preowned GSA safe that may be your ticket.  They are often narrow and deep.  Outside of that, you would likely have to custom order a new safe to those dimensions.

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You're not going to find a stock safe that is really deep like that. Gunsafes are typically wider than they are deep. We used to make a 60H x 22W x 18D safe. That would fit back in that cubby real nice, but not fill it up. Search for a "6022" model, where there might be several prefixes like R, LT, TF, RF, RLT or a few other.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:11:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Give Sturdy Safe a call. I had the same situation in wanting to fit my safe into the inset of an existing closet.
While my safe is not deeper than its width, I did have Terry custom build one with the door offset in the front of the safe to better fit into the recess of my closet. The overall height and width are those of one of Sturdy's standard available sizes, but the depth was an odd size to fit into the closet with 1/2" clearance back and front.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#4]
57.5" Tall, 22" wide, 38" deep.  Same or better steel than you would find in a gun safe, better security, and better longevity.  All of this for less than you would spend on a gun safe.

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
57.5" Tall, 22" wide, 38" deep.  Same or better steel than you would find in a gun safe, better security, and better longevity.  All of this for less than you would spend on a gun safe.

http://www.zykansafe.com/images/used8.jpg
View Quote

How much are where located?

Link Posted: 9/27/2014 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
That's an example of the used GSA safes that I mentioned above.  You can typically find them for $500 to $1,500 depending on how new it is, and what lock is on it.  I see them from time to time here in St. Louis, ,but they are much more common in parts of the country where a lot of government offices are located.

Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:21:08 AM EDT
[#7]
The GSA would be perfect, assuming that I could find one, and I was comfortable moving 1000 lbs up the stairs into a closet. That's literally exactly what I was envisioning: a deep safe, with a large drawer. Unfortunately, I'll probably have to look into something else. Thanks, though.

Does anyone have any input on my second question from the OP?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top