Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2014 7:47:27 AM EDT
I'm looking for a home safe and need some opinions. My criteria is that it must be fireproof, relatively burglar proof, with the ability to bolt to the floor. It will NOT be used for guns, mostly it will be used to hold legal documents, possibly some digital media. I'd like to keep it under $1,000 dollars. I think I narrowed it down to a couple of models, but I'm not locked into either.

AMSEC UL1511- supposedly fire resistant for 2 hrs up to 1850 degrees. seems sturdy, I like the idea of a combination lock.

Cannnon H8- less fire resistant (75 minutes up to 1200). bigger than the AMSEC, also has interior outlet with USB and ethernet connection. I really like the idea of this, as I could put my NAS server inside. However, with all those outlets, do those introduce vulernablities in the construction, including fire getting in? Does anyone know how these types of safes really perform if you have a powered device sitting inside it, does the heat it puts off affect other items in there, what does it do to the humidity levels? Basically I'm looking to see if these features makes it a clear cut favorite or should I be concentrating only on fire resistance and overall construction? I'm not sold on having to have the features like power, USB, and I'm not sure how much I'd even use those features, but it seems like having them would make it tip in the favor of the Cannon. But not if it compromises construction.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
The Amsec is a true UL rated fire safe.
Tha Cannon is not.
Not even close.
Check out the small BF line they have a true UL fire rating and a decent amount of burglary protecttion,although they are still RSC rated.
But if you are looking for a true fire and burglary safe you will be required to pay up more than a few hundred dollars.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The cannon isn't even in the same ballpark. Also look at the Amsec CSC.

The usb etc can likely be done once you have it.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I would recommend a safe for the valuables and a locking cabinet for the NAS.  A good safe will be too tight for the NAS and it will cook.

The UL and the BF are way better than the cannon for fire - no contest.  They are great for paper which is what they were designed for.  Unfortunately neither alone is optimal for digital media.

You would want to add additional protection for digital.  Additional protection in the form of a sentry box would help.

Best solution: get an amvault and put a UL125 media box inside of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top