Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 5:16:20 PM EDT
...My wife bought one on a black friday sale for me for my b-day. Plan to install in bedroom/ near bed to house cheap HD shotgun and daily carry pistol when Im home. The directions are realy vague and the safe isnt big enough to mount to (2) studs. Came with mounting hardware, but I just dont think it was designed to be mounted in the drywall. It weighs 66 lbs empty, so with SG and pistol plus ammo, looking at probably 90 lbs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#1]
You could mount it into the drywall alone, but you're going to have limited hold strength.  They do make special screw in anchors that are usually good up to about 100-125 pounds each in drywall, assuming the drywall itself is screwed into the studs well.  If you could center the safe on a stud you could get the best of both worlds.  Heavy screws/small lags into the stud, and quality drywall anchors on either side.  It won't keep a determined person from ripping it out, but it will hold the weight and keep it from casually walking off.

I don't know what kind of hardware they sent with it, but as a general rule, it usually isn't the best.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could mount it into the drywall alone, but you're going to have limited hold strength.  They do make special screw in anchors that are usually good up to about 100-125 pounds each in drywall, assuming the drywall itself is screwed into the studs well.  If you could center the safe on a stud you could get the best of both worlds.  Heavy screws/small lags into the stud, and quality drywall anchors on either side.  It won't keep a determined person from ripping it out, but it will hold the weight and keep it from casually walking off.

I don't know what kind of hardware they sent with it, but as a general rule, it usually isn't the best.

View Quote

Thank you so much! I think you're right about the factory supplied mounting hardware. I'll make a trip to Lowes this weekend and post my results.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Would put 4 lag bolts through fender washers through the side or back into a stud, from top to bottom - or mount it in a corner.  You may want to remove base pboard and/or chair rail to get it flush against the wall.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:09:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Would put 4 lag bolts through fender washers through the side or back into a stud, from top to bottom - or mount it in a corner.  You may want to remove base pboard and/or chair rail to get it flush against the wall.
View Quote

Agreed on all counts.

And I have to do it to you...why is your carry gun in a safe while you are home.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Agreed on all counts.

And I have to do it to you...why is your carry gun in a safe while you are home.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on all counts.

Kids. Trying not to leave it laying around..
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on all counts.

These work great for that.

Ok I swear I'm done now. Back to safe mounting.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.aresgear.com/images/Enhanced_1_SMALL.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed on all counts.

http://www.aresgear.com/images/Enhanced_1_SMALL.jpg

I have one already
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top