Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2013 12:03:27 PM EDT
Has anyone ever replaced a electronic lock with a key operated lock such as this?  key op lock  I've got a cheapo Winchester safe that has a electronic lock I'd like to replace.
Link Posted: 12/8/2013 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks interesting, I've been interested I. Doing the same thing...
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 12:07:21 PM EDT
[#2]
That Key-op Lock is actually a very nice lock, mad in Sweden by FAS.The pick-resistance is very good.

However, if you are retrofitting a safe with a UL RSC listing, this lock does not qualify for the listing, and would void that rating. Since you were not specific about the safe, it's not clear if that is an issue.

Also, be aware that if you are facing the liberal advance of gun control legislation in your state, as we have here in the Peoples Republic of Kalfornia, that swap could get you in hot water. Liability is a big part of gun control legislation, and if you alter a product in this way and something bad happens, you could be held responsible. So, for example, if some kid broke into your safe and used your guns to do harm, that could make you subject to felony prosecution. Make these decisions with your eyes wide open....

TSG
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That Key-op Lock is actually a very nice lock, mad in Sweden by FAS.The pick-resistance is very good.

However, if you are retrofitting a safe with a UL RSC listing, this lock does not qualify for the listing, and would void that rating. Since you were not specific about the safe, it's not clear if that is an issue.

Also, be aware that if you are facing the liberal advance of gun control legislation in your state, as we have here in the Peoples Republic of Kalfornia, that swap could get you in hot water. Liability is a big part of gun control legislation, and if you alter a product in this way and something bad happens, you could be held responsible. So, for example, if some kid broke into your safe and used your guns to do harm, that could make you subject to felony prosecution. Make these decisions with your eyes wide open....

TSG
View Quote

It's one of those Winchester 24 gun safes from Tractor Supply.  Basically I use it to temporarily store builds and such next to my work bench.  My goal is to keep my kids and my wife out of my gun projects.  I like the convenience of an electronic lock but once out of warranty I'd like to retain ease of entry w/o worrying about failure.  The current lock is a LaGard Basic.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 3:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It's one of those Winchester 24 gun safes from Tractor Supply.  Basically I use it to temporarily store builds and such next to my work bench.  My goal is to keep my kids and my wife out of my gun projects.  I like the convenience of an electronic lock but once out of warranty I'd like to retain ease of entry w/o worrying about failure.  The current lock is a LaGard Basic.
View Quote

The LaGard Basic is a fine lock, and you should not really worry much about failure. It definitely provides better security than a keylock. Remember, a key can be misplaced, a combo in your head is not so easy to lose.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The LaGard Basic is a fine lock, and you should not really worry much about failure. It definitely provides better security that a keylock. Remember, a key can be misplaced, a combo in your head is not so easy to lose.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The LaGard Basic is a fine lock, and you should not really worry much about failure. It definitely provides better security that a keylock. Remember, a key can be misplaced, a combo in your head is not so easy to lose.

But, this lock should be an easy swap with this particular elock, right?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

But, this lock should be an easy swap with this particular elock, right?
View Quote

Yes, piece-o-cake...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top