Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2013 5:33:48 PM EDT
Hi,
I'm looking at installing 3 IP cams around my house. I'm overwhelmed by all the brands and models available out there. I already have a PoE switch and I have couple terabytes HDs. What would you guys recommend as far as IP camera goes?
I'm looking to place on to look at the driveway, 1 to look at my front porch and 1 inside my garage to look at side door and garage door.

I don't really have a budget (i want the best bang for the bucks).....let's say $400-700.

thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2013 5:20:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Dahua 1.3mp IP cameras can be had for ~$150, the 3mp cameras are $250
The 8 ch DVR is $250 and can accept up to two 8gb drives

The browser interface for the Dahua cameras suck. If you're using windows + IE you should be ok. On my phones and tablets I run "IP cam viewer", on a mac you can try to use PSSmini.

Once you get the cameras and DVR setup you can use dyndns to monitor them over the web.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks a lot for the help.
Is Dahua an OK brand? or should i stay with Acti / Axis brands?
Link Posted: 7/18/2013 1:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I think dahua is primarily an oem and you can find their cameras in the costco/sams ip camera kits
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think dahua is primarily an oem and you can find their cameras in the costco/sams ip camera kits
View Quote

The Costco stuff is by q-see and usually junk. Go to YouTube and you can find 1080p recordings of dahua cameras so you can see the quality.

I usually make offers to sellers on eBay, purchase from alibaba, or find a us reseller like empire security cameras.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#5]
OK, I decided to go with 3 cams: Acti or Axis.
which model should i get to fit my budget? i'm looking to spend around $250-$300 per camera (preferably dome camera)
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 2:58:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The Costco stuff is by q-see and usually junk. Go to YouTube and you can find 1080p recordings of dahua cameras so you can see the quality.

I usually make offers to sellers on eBay, purchase from alibaba, or find a us reseller like empire security cameras.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Q-see is like bushnell. They sell cheap junk but they also sell mid grade from all different oems

I a 99 percent these are the dahua 1.3mp ip cams that get decent reviews.
http://m.costco.com/Q-See-4-Channel-HD-Digital-NVR-with-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-HD-720p-IP-Cameras.product.100003211.html

Costco has a world class return policy, so you could try these out for awhile and return them

They normally have 2 packs of the camera for 299 as well without a nvr

In conflicted on cameras. The technology is advancing so fast that it doesn't make sense to invest in a $500 camera that'll be behind the times in a year.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 6:17:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Those do look like dahua cameras. Last time I checked Costco they only had the qsee BNC cameras.

FYI, most people prefer to run an external poe switch and not have one in the DVR.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Costco Dahua/Q-See cameras have a 6mm lens which is actually to tight.

Check out HDsecuritystore.com. They have Dahua branded cams with the original specs. Good prices and fast shipping.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#9]
are the Dahua 1.3 and 2 mp dome camera's outdoor rated?  

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
are the Dahua 1.3 and 2 mp dome camera's outdoor rated?  

View Quote

Pretty sure they are. Just look for something called 'IP66' in the description; which means weather & dust resistant.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.networkcameracritic.com/?cat=2

Left cold.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#12]
ACTi gets good reviews by many pro installers.  Their quality is consistent from camera to camera and they offer free software (which is descent) if you use their cameras...support is good too and that is important.  hth
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top