Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2012 4:36:25 PM EDT
Looking to buy a large ft knox safe. What do you guys recommend for options? I am definitely getting the lagard redundant lock and the inner steel 10ga liner. I'll likely upgrade the door and shell as well.

I am looking at the defender/protector series.
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
The door on most of the Fort Knox product line is very strong to begin with.  I didn't think it was necessary to put more money there.  Don't forget, you've got ball bearing drill plate and re-lockers if someone chooses to mess with the door.

I have a liner in mine and external hinges.  The external hinges really make the safe a LOT more convenient to use.  Liner adds to the weight, which is only an issue during installation -- it's a virtue after that.  The addition of the liner gives you over 1/4" of steel all round -- in two, separate layers.  So, some ass hat works to get through the outer layer only to discover more steel beneath.  

I have a regular S&G tumbler with key lock on mine.  Love it.  Wouldn't trade.

Oh, and interior lighting is the bee's knees!!!
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 8:48:31 AM EDT
[#2]
RugRat is correct on all his points. FT Knox lighting packages are wonderful.

I too like the redundant lock, and the 10ga liner.

If getting a Defender, in addition to adding the 10ga liner, consider upgrading to the deluxe package (7gauge body, 3/8" door), or the double deluxe package (1/4" body, 1/2" door).

I love my Fort Knox safe, good luck with whatever you choose and report back to us what you get and how you like it.

Link Posted: 12/29/2012 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Does anybody know how much weight the deluxe or liner packages add?
Link Posted: 12/29/2012 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Does anybody know how much weight the deluxe or liner packages add?

Depends on the safe size you choose:
For the 7251 a liner and Deluxe package adds 594#
For the 6031 a liner and Deluxe package adds 348#

The numbers are actually a little lower. I got those numbers subtracting a Defender from the Titan model. The Titan has more bolts which add weight, too. But the numbers give you a ball park maximum number.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top