Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2011 5:17:51 AM EDT
edit to include sturdy safes.

Hey All,

I'm looking for a gun safe and I have at most $1700 to spend which includes the shipping costs. I wish I had more, but I just simply don't so recommending anything more expensive I just cannot consider. Basically I'm trying to lock up my valuables and guns to keep most robbers (the kind that don't know what you have) from getting my guns, wife's jewelry, important docs, and some PMs. I've done ALOT of reading and am looking at many different safes such as:

Partriot safes::  http://www.patriotsafe.com/Closet-Model-18-gun-safe-2-hour-fire-1880-LEO-SPECIAL_p_487.html

Liberty Franklin series

Sturdy Model 2723 without the fire insulation (due to cost)

Champion Trophy series

Superior Safe Encore series

Used American Security safes (if I can find one in the Houston area)

Any other suggestions? I'm going to check out a couple of different stores to see what safes I can check out in person. Let me know what ya'll think.

Thanks,
IG
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:36:30 AM EDT
[#1]
I would add Sturdy Safe to your list.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm gonna bump my own thread to see if any of you gun safe owners out there have any opinions. Or of the safe lines that I've listed be all about equal in terms of burglary prevention?
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of Sturdy fans on here and I'm one. I have a few safes and the Sturdy is the one I have no remorse about.

Something I ask people who have questions like yours is whats the replacement cost of the valuables you're going to store? There's no hard rule but I figure you should spend 10-15% of that on a safe...
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 1:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Sturdy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Summit Cascade EX
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Summit Cascade EX

Snop,  I haven't been able to find prices to compare. The Summit website refers me to local dealers, and most of the ones listed don't even sell Summit anymore. Do you have any further info or a link?

-StaTiK-
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Check you local craigslist as well to see if there are any deals on a higher quality safe.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 12:11:28 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Sturdy
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:24:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I think I'm going to take the masses advice and get a Sturdy safe. Only problem is I can't afford the fire insulation.....But this safe is primarily for anti-burglary when I'm away at work....If the house does catch on fire and I can't get to the safe in time, hopefully I can direct the fireman's focus. Thanks for all the advice!
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 7:43:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well I think I'm going to take the masses advice and get a Sturdy safe. Only problem is I can't afford the fire insulation.....But this safe is primarily for anti-burglary when I'm away at work....If the house does catch on fire and I can't get to the safe in time, hopefully I can direct the fireman's focus. Thanks for all the advice!

Don't take this the wrong way, but coming from a fireman... you're "advice" on telling us how to put out your fire isn't going to change our firefighting stategy.  There is more to it than just spraying water on fire.  We didn't start the fire, and are not going to put ourselves at excessive risks to save your stuff.  Now if you kept your baby locked in the safe, that might be a different story.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:02:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't take this the wrong way, but coming from a fireman... you're "advice" on telling us how to put out your fire isn't going to change our firefighting stategy.  There is more to it than just spraying water on fire.  We didn't start the fire, and are not going to put ourselves at excessive risks to save your stuff.  Now if you kept your baby locked in the safe, that might be a different story.

+1
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 6:14:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not want anyone to risk their lives for my shit. And just because you didn't start the fire, that doesn't mean I or my family did either (electrical fires happen all the time, it happened to my parents house last christmas). As far as spraying water on a fire I know it alot more complicated than that, but you can't move a heavy ass safe when its bolted to concrete, so spraying water on it wouldn't hurt, especially given its location. Besides, it would only be a personal favor. I'm pretty sure that the firemen would'nt drop whatever they were doing to do what I said. It would only be a favor if it was at all possible, and I completely understand that they are the professionals. I know that they are doing there jobs to save lives and to keep the fire from spreading to other houses, and this job puts their lives at risk. It would only be a suggestion. My family's house burnt down last Christmas.....And while it was doing so, my dad made a personal request to a fireman that if it was possible to save an item that was very dear to his heart. The fireman did so at my dads request. He did not have to, he himself made the decision and did it and from his generosity it helped my family greatly and we are forever thankful to him. I can see that your attitude is very different than the fireman who helped my family.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would not want anyone to risk their lives for my shit. And just because you didn't start the fire, that doesn't mean I or my family did either (electrical fires happen all the time, it happened to my parents house last christmas). As far as spraying water on a fire I know it alot more complicated than that, but you can't move a heavy ass safe when its bolted to concrete, so spraying water on it wouldn't hurt, especially given its location. Besides, it would only be a personal favor. I'm pretty sure that the firemen would'nt drop whatever they were doing to do what I said. It would only be a favor if it was at all possible, and I completely understand that they are the professionals. I know that they are doing there jobs to save lives and to keep the fire from spreading to other houses, and this job puts their lives at risk. It would only be a suggestion. My family's house burnt down last Christmas.....And while it was doing so, my dad made a personal request to a fireman that if it was possible to save an item that was very dear to his heart. The fireman did so at my dads request. He did not have to, he himself made the decision and did it and from his generosity it helped my family greatly and we are forever thankful to him. I can see that your attitude is very different than the fireman who helped my family.

Trust me, I'd do whatever I could to help you out if your place was on fire.  Basically what I meant was that by the time the fire department gets there after the fire has been burning a while and do what we do, and then you might show up and then tell us what you'd like for us to try extra hard to save, it may be too late to save your valuables.  I'd just strongly recommend that you get a fire rated safe so that if the unthinkable fire happens again, your valuables are safe.  It's your decision.  

Sorry to hear about your family's fire.  Absolutely terrible thing to have to go through.
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought the largest Sturdy I could afford, without fire- no regrets.  If the house is on fire, the only thing I care about is the dog,
Link Posted: 9/23/2011 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#15]
This.

I just bought an older Graffunder for $600.00

Don't jump, look around.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 4:08:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trust me, I'd do whatever I could to help you out if your place was on fire.  Basically what I meant was that by the time the fire department gets there after the fire has been burning a while and do what we do, and then you might show up and then tell us what you'd like for us to try extra hard to save, it may be too late to save your valuables.  I'd just strongly recommend that you get a fire rated safe so that if the unthinkable fire happens again, your valuables are safe.  It's your decision.  

Sorry to hear about your family's fire.  Absolutely terrible thing to have to go through.

I understand that. And it seems we are singing to a similar tune. Thank you and to all the other public serviceman for your work, I know it puts your lives at risk and trust me that I know my "valuables" come no where close to your lives and I don't want anyone to be in danger for me.

UPDATE:  I took all of your suggestions and I did look around before I made the plunge. All the used safes in my area were either to small for, too expensive, or were not up to par for protection. So, I made the plunge and bought a Sturdy safe. I bought the 2723 model and dealt with Terry himself, who is a very nice and knowledgeable guy. He also took off about $150 the total cost which was very very nice. Sadly I couldn't afford it all in one go, so I put it on lay-away (hence why I can't afford the fire lining, I want it but it would take me half a year to pay for it, and I just don't want my guns unsecured for that long). Thanks again to everyone's suggestions and when I do get it I might post my thoughts on it.
Link Posted: 9/24/2011 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I understand that. And it seems we are singing to a similar tune. Thank you and to all the other public serviceman for your work, I know it puts your lives at risk and trust me that I know my "valuables" come no where close to your lives and I don't want anyone to be in danger for me.

UPDATE:  I took all of your suggestions and I did look around before I made the plunge. All the used safes in my area were either to small for, too expensive, or were not up to par for protection. So, I made the plunge and bought a Sturdy safe. I bought the 2723 model and dealt with Terry himself, who is a very nice and knowledgeable guy. He also took off about $150 the total cost which was very very nice. Sadly I couldn't afford it all in one go, so I put it on lay-away (hence why I can't afford the fire lining, I want it but it would take me half a year to pay for it, and I just don't want my guns unsecured for that long). Thanks again to everyone's suggestions and when I do get it I might post my thoughts on it.

Congrats on the new Sturdy safe, Nice size for moving around too. If I had it to do again, I'd buy that size and add more safes as needed. There are low cost options for giving your gun safe some fire protection. Probably the cheapest thing to do is encase the body with a few sheets of x-rated (fire rated) sheet rock. The shelves in the door are nice for packing in insulation which could just be more sheets of drywall or better yet ceramic fiber board. I'm sure Terry wouldn't mind if you copied his method for sealing the door (I.e., boiler gasket) and he even shows the materials he uses on his website.
Link Posted: 9/27/2011 8:18:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Congrats on the new Sturdy safe, Nice size for moving around too. If I had it to do again, I'd buy that size and add more safes as needed. There are low cost options for giving your gun safe some fire protection. Probably the cheapest thing to do is encase the body with a few sheets of x-rated (fire rated) sheet rock. The shelves in the door are nice for packing in insulation which could just be more sheets of drywall or better yet ceramic fiber board. I'm sure Terry wouldn't mind if you copied his method for sealing the door (I.e., boiler gasket) and he even shows the materials he uses on his website.

Just to add to this.  I ordered a non fire-rated Sturdy safe with the intention of adding some sheet rock / insulation around the safe later.

I talked to Terry and had him install his standard fire rated gasket on the door, which he did for a nominal charge.

Very happy with my purchase.  I would advise you to do the same if you are considering adding your own fire protection later.

That is one of the advantages of dealing with a company like Sturdy - you can call them up and actually talk to the owner.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:08:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Another good thing is that you are supporting the US economy rather than sending those dollars off shore.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:19:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I noticed on Sturdy's homepage an AR15.com thumbnail.

Checked and sure enough, they're a dealer here.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:28:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Unless you live in a high crime area, your odds of losing your gun collection to a fire are many times higher than losing them to a thief.

This is my situation.  Fire is a much more realistic threat than a thief so fire lining was the most important thing to me.

Save more money, sell a couple things, whatever but fire lining is probably more valuable than you think...

I have them insured against both theft and fire, however, several of my firearms are not replaceable due to sentimental value.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I noticed on Sturdy's homepage an AR15.com thumbnail.

Checked and sure enough, they're a dealer here.

A few months ago Alyssa said they were sponsoring a few websites and ar15.com was one of them. She said they were supporting the sites where many of their customers visited.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Unless you live in a high crime area, your odds of losing your gun collection to a fire are many times higher than losing them to a thief.

This is my situation.  Fire is a much more realistic threat than a thief so fire lining was the most important thing to me.

Save more money, sell a couple things, whatever but fire lining is probably more valuable than you think...

I have them insured against both theft and fire, however, several of my firearms are not replaceable due to sentimental value.

Thanks for the post. And I'm taking youre advice (along with many others) and am going to get the fire liner too. My main influencing factor is that I got a new job that I'll be starting in a week and it pays a little better than my current one. So thanks again everyone for the advice, it did not fall on deaf ears!

BTW, how are the pistol racks that they sell? are they good quality, or should I look around for other pistol racks?
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:10:44 PM EDT
[#24]
i have a Superior Supreme Series...great quality.....

Superior and Champion built by same company can't go wrong.....difference is the champions have concealed hinges and open to 90 degrees.....superior have external hinges and open to 180 degrees.....this difference can be huge.....

Lone Star Safe in Houston is where i got mine.....they will negotiate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the post. And I'm taking youre advice (along with many others) and am going to get the fire liner too. My main influencing factor is that I got a new job that I'll be starting in a week and it pays a little better than my current one. So thanks again everyone for the advice, it did not fall on deaf ears!

BTW, how are the pistol racks that they sell? are they good quality, or should I look around for other pistol racks?

Their pistol racks are well worth buying, like everything they make ...  all business: bent sheet steel with slotted foam. I've got two and they work great. If you'd like, I can send some pictures so you can see how they look.

If they haven't shipped your safe yet, add the door seal as Red2000SS suggested above.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:34:03 PM EDT
[#26]
The Sturdy safe I want (3627) will be about $3000.  I'd get it fire lined and upgrade to 5 gauge steel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their pistol racks are well worth buying, like everything they make ...  all business: bent sheet steel with slotted foam. I've got two and they work great. If you'd like, I can send some pictures so you can see how they look.

If they haven't shipped your safe yet, add the door seal as Red2000SS suggested above.

Will do on the fire seal. If you could post pics on the pistol racks that would be greatly appreciated! The pics on the website are just not very good.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#28]
i am using these and love them

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Those look pretty cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top