Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2011 7:22:03 PM EDT
I need some suggestions from the hive mind.  I have a small collection of 4 long guns.  I have a small safe that is big enough for now.  I'll be investing in a larger collection and safe for the future.  The problem is: for the next couple of years I'll be in a rental house with travertine floors.  I can't really bolt down my safe.  It's small enough that a couple of guys could lift it or use a dolly.  Any ideas on a way to prevent the grab and go? I know that an experienced thief would have no problem but I'm primarily worried about the smash and grab crowd. I keep it hidden, but want to do what I can.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Any way to mount it to the wall studs?  Patch the holes before you move out and nobody knows.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got it in a really nice hiding spot.  Unfotunatey it doesn't line up with wall studs.  I was thinking about dry wall anchors, but I think thieves would just rip up the wall and not really be slowed down.  I thought about building a platform so it won't easily come out of the closet.
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've got it in a really nice hiding spot.  Unfotunatey it doesn't line up with wall studs.  I was thinking about dry wall anchors, but I think thieves would just rip up the wall and not really be slowed down.  I thought about building a platform so it won't easily come out of the closet.

And door perhaps....
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:05:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Is the safe less than 16" wide? It should line up with studs somewhere.  You may just have to drill holes in the back of the safe where the studs are.  No big deal there. Then just use some lag bolts about 3-4" long with a wide flange washer inside the safe. Good to go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 12:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Lag two sections of 2x4 across the closet wall to line up with holes in the safe. Place safe against the 2x4 and lag into them. Will defeat the most ardent smash and grab thief.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top