Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2010 2:20:52 PM EDT
So I am in the military and I move “a lot” just about every 3-4 years.  I currently rent a house and I am looking for a more responsible way to store my firearms other than under the bed or stack-on cabinets that I pretty much hate.  I would like to get a nice large safe but the expenditure doesn’t seem to make sense due to my moving around so much and the hassle involved.  I am looking for something that is burger resistant not impenetrable.  Something that I don’t have to worry about too much when I am deployed and my wife goes home to visit family, slightly fire resistant, and fairly light weight thinking 500 pounds or less.

Any suggestions on what would fit into this category?
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:24:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Man portable?????
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
zanotti armor

Great RSC's and the have a pretty good military discount (the more you spend, the more you save).
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 2:50:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I dont want to recommend something, but if I have to Dakota XP interloc with an expansion kit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know how much you have to spend, but I am sure Sturdy Safe would be able to fill your needs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Sentry,, not sure if its still made,, but I've moved it alone with a dolly twice. I have about 7 long guns and 3 or 4 pistols in it. I've had it about 10 yrs. Its currently bolted to the wall in the bedroom closet. I bought it from Academy Sports and Outdoors. I think I paid  200 bucks for it then???

Its heavy steel plate,, not sheet metal. Sucker weighs about 200 lbs,, but with the dolly, I can move it,, at least for a few more years. I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:31:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I was hopeing not to spend any more than $800 - $900 on this safe.
Originally, I was looking at a RedHead® 1856 Collection Fire-Resistant Gun Safe at bass pro shops.
1200º, 30-minute fire protection rating
Weight: 455 lbs.
12-gauge steel body with 1/2" of fire insulation to protect valuables from fire
Body measures 58" x 30" x 20" for 20 cubic feet of storage
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up the Canon that was on sale at Costco for $600, weighs about 425lbs and can be moved via dolly.   If I had the money and the time to wait for construction I'd get one of those Zanotti Armor safes
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
no, find something with more security than a $600 cannon, and more fire protection than 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2010 8:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Dakota Safe and I am thrilled with it.  The best part is I got it for $500 out the door from my local "farm store"

Be prepared to make 3 minor changes to this "safe" to drastically improve it's performance and security.

#1 buy 2 sheets of the 1/2" fire resistant drywall, and cut to fit, following the pattern of the existing interior panels.  You will end up with almost no leftover, and almost 2" of fire "proofing".   The door requires a little more creativity but there is plenty of room to add more fireproofing.  Wrap your new double panels up wth sports tape before assembly to make them easier to handle.  Use paint and stencil the panel numbers on the back side of the interior panels to aid in re-assembly the second time.
#2 Drill extra holes in the rear/sides that correspond with your studs, and bolt it to a minimum of one wall and the floor.  2 walls and the floor are better.  Mine is bolted to 2 walls and the floor with 16 lag bolts total.   It's not comming out without taking the corner of my house with it.  While you are drilling, a hole for power for a goldenrod or light is nice.
#3 Drill out the holes used by the bolts to assemble it and substitute 1/2" Grade 8 Hardware, assembled with an impact gun and closed cell weatherstripping tape as a gasket.  
#4 [optional, so I didn't count it]  The shelf mounting and interlocking system is kindof cheezy.  I bought more of the shelf track and clippies and added much more support, but the next time it comes apart I will likely re-think the shelves entirely, probably replacing the mounting system with something better.

I can disassemble this safe in about 30 minutes, and re-assemble it in about 45, with an 18v cordless impact gun.  Videotape the assembly process, and burn it onto a DVD, including reading the instructions on lock programming to yourself, and burn it onto a couple of DVD's... You will thank me for that tip.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
zanotti armor

Great RSC's and the have a pretty good military discount (the more you spend, the more you save).

This. Forget fire protection, Google it to see why.

[

You know, I could be totally wrong, so don't listen to me. I'm not an expert.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:16:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Dont forget fire protection, a safe is not safe without it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:20:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I dont want to recommend something, but if I have to Dakota XP interloc with an expansion kit.

I've seen you mention the Dakotas before, but you seem to be reluctant to recommend the XP series. Any reason for this? I have been looking at one for many of the same reasons as the OP. Called the closest distributor and they quoted me $1099 to my door. Base model, no expansion kit or extra fire proofing.

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:27:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a cheap safe from Walmart.  Weighs about 500 pounds.  It will work until I actually figure out what I want to do when I grow up and settle down.

Here is a link from Sams.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=186938#spec
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've seen you mention the Dakotas before, but you seem to be reluctant to recommend the XP series. Any reason for this? I have been looking at one for many of the same reasons as the OP. Called the closest distributor and they quoted me $1099 to my door. Base model, no expansion kit or extra fire proofing.

Its a bolt together safe and has a 30min fire rating in its base form. I would recommend it if you bought the extra fire protection kit.

In my opinion those winchester safes are junk, the lock is too. Another $200 and you could of at least got something with a continously welded body and a quality lock on it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its a bolt together safe and has a 30min fire rating in its base form. I would recommend it if you bought the extra fire protection kit.

In my opinion those winchester safes are junk, the lock is too. Another $200 and you could of at least got something with a continously welded body and a quality lock on it.

I'm using a Liberty 12 right now and almost anything would be a step up. How's the lock and other security features on the XPs?

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:32:24 AM EDT
[#16]
there better than a 12. Recessed door with increasse bolt coverage. They have a relocker on them also.

You can beat the lock in on a 12 and open the door.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:45:50 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm kind of in the same boat as the op.  Is there anything worth buying at around $800?  How are stack-on safes?
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#18]
The best thing there is to buy is gonna be what I recommended. In my opinion, stack on, sentry, winchester, cannon, are all garbage safes down in the price range you guys are in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

there better than a 12. Recessed door with increasse bolt coverage. They have a relocker on them also.

You can beat the lock in on a 12 and open the door.

Yeah, I figured as much. The Liberty is going to be used as a ammo locker after I buy its replacement. Still haven't decided, but I will likely go with the Dakota XP, and spring for the extra fire protection and at least one expansion kit.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:45:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Buy a proper gun safe.  When it's time to PCS it is "Professional Gear" as you are required to maintain proficiency with your standard rifle or pistol (qualification per STRAC, and your personal arms and ammo help you to do that).

It does not count against your weight allowance.

Put it on a pallet so it won't damage your own home, a rental, or government quarters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top