Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2009 6:24:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 6:47:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Amen..could have been much worse. But at least now your wife will be able to put some meat on the table (I really enjoyed the pictures from the cabin thread)I am completely jealous. Hopefully one day I will be as blessed as you and have a nice place like that as well.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 6:47:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Deer season is coming up, and my wife nervously (okay, frantically!) pointed out her "deer rifle" is in there.  

Most important part of this post. Just sayin....

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Deer season is coming up, and my wife nervously (okay, frantically!) pointed out her "deer rifle" is in there.  

Most important part of this post. Just sayin....

Just think, this could have been a good opportunity to buy new his and hers deer rifles.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
This is one of the reasons why I want a room w/o windows dedicated to firearms and gun associated stuff.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:28:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Have you had the same combo for the whole time you've had it? I've heard it was good to change the combo every once a while.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Officer:  Do you know how fast you were going?

thebeekeeper1:  Yes Officer, I was in a hurry to meet my locksmith at home.

Officer:  Do you have any drugs or weapons in the car?

thebeekeeper1:  

Officer:  
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Glad all worked out, that has always bugged me about not being able to get the safe open when needed.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Officer:  Do you know how fast you were going?

thebeekeeper1:  Yes Officer, I was in a hurry to meet my locksmith at home.

Officer:  Do you have any drugs or weapons in the car?

thebeekeeper1:  

Officer:  

Is this a multiple choice question Officer...???

Link Posted: 10/16/2009 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 4:59:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Just out of curiosity; "what was the problem with the lock?"
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 5:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity; "what was the problem with the lock?"

I don't know what the actual problem was.  What it did was simply not open the safe after dialing the correct combination.  I asked and he said, "It's just wore out."  It was about 20 years old, but it's not like I've opened it fifty times a day.  

Wow!  I would have thought a company like S&G would have replaced that for you.  Long gone are the days of great service.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:36:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Ebay is your friend.... both combination and digital locks for dirt cheap... if you can wait a day or two.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
looks like you got your money out of the safe years ago, couple hundred to repair is better then a couple thousand for a new one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Glad it worked out for you.

Every year when it is time to depart on my elk hunt, I get my rifles out a couple of days early for this very reason. I can't image getting up in the morning and finding that the safe wouldn't open.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I hear more stories about manual locks failing then digital so I'll keep my digital thank you very much.

Did you try to add 1 or 2 or subtract 1 or 2 from every number in your combo.  I've heard numbers travel after a few years.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:14:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Did you ever have a locksmith out to "maintain" the locking mechanism during your ownership period? I was advised that its a good idea if the dial gets harder to turn etc... thought it was probably a sales tactic at the time but it does make sense. Anything mechanical with moving parts needs oiled, adjusted etc..

Blackops_1.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Glad it turned out well TBK.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#23]
I've been having issues with my S&G lock too.  It turns out that even after the correct combo is dialed, whatever mechanism inside that's supposed to disengage to allow the lock to open gets stuck.  The way around it is to rock the dial back and forth rapidly between 10 and 90 after the final number.  It works every time.  I heard that the fire proofing material can put pressure on the lock to get things a bit stuck.  I don't know what can be done to actually fix it, though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Two weeks ago I had a hard time opening my safe. It is a Browning Gold series (pretty good one, for those not familiar) with a Sargeant & Greenleaf mechanical mechanism (the best). It's about 20 y/o and has had what I would call normal use. I chalked it up to poor lighting, missed a number, hurrying too fast, etc.

Monday evening it wouldn't open, did on the third try, didn't think too much of it, but knew I was careful, so had a good bit of concern.

Tuesday it wouldn't open. WOULD NOT open.

I stopped at a locksmith shop today and asked about it. The nice lady said she had a technician who would come by and "try some stuff" to see if he could open it. The charge would be $35 if he got it and no charge if he couldn't. Not bad!

At least until I realized I would have a stranger in my gun/reloading room, and I would be providing him my combination.

He tried a number of things, finally gave up, and left. Oh, he told me they don't drill them, but he gave me the name of a guy who does––and said the charge would be $300-500. Plus the thing would still need to be fixed, so I would almost be buying the damned thing over again (depending upon how much the new dial and box cost).

After he left I figured I'd spend some time talking to the Lord about it as I spun the dial over and over. And over. Actually, on the second try it opened––no shouting at God required.

I called him back and he took the inside of the door apart. He messed with it for over an hour trying to "fix" the old mechanism. He finally gave up, left and then called me with the repair bill total––$225. He said the parts would be in tomorrow morning and he could have it done before noon.

My trunk is so damned full of gun cases (had to leave and wasn't going to leave them hidden around the house) I could barely get the lid closed.

This sucks!
*But could have sucked MUCH worse.

Yeah, my eyes aren't what they used to be either.

AB
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
...The locksmith said the electronic ones have NO warranty––as long as it works when he walks out the door after installing it, your "warranty" is over.  He had just left a restaurant with a safe stuck shut after the digital lock quit.  They are screwed and will be buying a new safe (he said).  No digital ones for me––ever.  

No warranty on S&G electronic locks? He is flat wrong.
http://www.sargentandgreenleaf.com/pdf/WARRANTY.pdf

SARGENT & GREENLEAF
WARRANTY
Seller warrants that for one year* from the date of shipment from Seller’s point of manufacture, the
goods shall be free from defects in material and workmanship, provided the goods are normally and
properly used according to the Seller’s written instructions.

THIS WARRANTY IS EXPRESSLY MADE IN LIEU OF ANY AND ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED
OR IMPLIED. S&G DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE GOODS ARE MERCHANTABLE OR FIT FOR ANY
PARTICULAR PURPOSE EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY PROVIDED HEREIN.

Seller’s entire liability and Buyer’s exclusive remedy in the event that the goods do not conform to the
foregoing warranty shall be Seller’s repair or replacement of the goods (including payment of freight
costs to and from point of manufacture).

UNAUTHORIZED USE OF COMPONENTS NOT MANUFACTURED BY THE SELLER IN CONJUNCTION
WITH SELLER’S PRODUCTS INVALIDATES THE WARRANTY. ANY MODIFICATIONS TO PRODUCTS
NOT PERFORMED BY S&G INVALIDATE THE WARRANTY. SELLER SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR
ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT OR SPECIAL DAMAGES. SELLER DOES NOT
WARRANT ITS LOCK PRODUCTS TO BE IMPERVIOUS TO FORCIBLE OR SURREPTITIOUS ENTRY,
AND SELLER SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF PROPERTY SOUGHT TO BE
PROTECTED BY ANY SUCH LOCK.

*6100 series electronic locks, 6300 series electronic locks, 2002/2003/2004/2005 series electronic locks,
6730 series mechanical combination locks, and Environmental Padlocks carry a two year warranty.
Arm-A-Dor® devices carry a five year warranty on mechanical components and a one year warranty on
alarm components.

www.sargentandgreenleaf.com
www.stanleysecuritysolutions.com
Corporate Headquarters: One Security Drive • Nicholasville, Kentucky 40356 • USA • Tel. 859-885-9411, Fax 859-887-2057
European Headquarters: 9, chemin du Croset • 1024 Ecublens• Switzerland • Tel. 41 21 694 34 00, Fax 41 21 694 34 09 Revision Date: June 26, 2009
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top