Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 9:13:31 AM EDT
I have researched safes now for several months and have narrowed it down to these two.......... Browning doesn't seem to get much discussion here, and maybe they are overpriced for what they offer, but I really like the locking mechanism (cam type, with all bolts active and steel plate to protect the lock from a drill attack) and the storage system(dpx).  On the other hand, I really like the Dry Light fire insulation on the BF series, but would like to know what kind of locking system the Amsec uses, anyone know for sure???  Both as most know have 10gauge steel box's, but the amsec has the heavier duty door I think at 1/2 inch.  Appreciate any inputs
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Amsec all the way.
1/2" plate in door vs ???? 12ga-10ga?
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 11:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
AmSec.  You don't need to worry about a "plate" to protect the lock when the whole door is 1/2" thick.  They won't be going through the door in the AmSec.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Browning, like many other gunsafe dealers, outsources the production of their safes.

It is a good looking product, but you made clear your priority is security.

That being the case AMSEC BF is the better of the two by far. It also has an additional steel liner inside.

I would also recommend a mechanical lock. Can't go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't mean to sidetrack you, but have you checked out www.sturdysafe.com ?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:32:45 AM EDT
[#5]
If I had to pay full price for my Browning I probably would have gone with the Amsec. But for $800 off new for a never used safe I am happy with mine. I don't have the DPX system but will put some peg board on the inside of the door. The sides of the safe are the same as the BF but for fire rating the Amsec has it beat. The door is very heavy and I'm not worried about the thickness. Most cheap safes flex when you pound on the sides or top, mine is pretty sturdy. The BF uses the filler to make it seem sturdier but the weight is a good thing. I am not one for looks (I would have gotten the rough textured cheaper finish on a BF) but the Browning is a looker.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i13/qwikkota/Browning2.jpg
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
First you might want to check out my thread here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=46&t=280325

Second, let me comment on a few things:

1)  The Amsec BF series is steel on the outside AND on the inside with the poured layers of fire insulation between the 2 layers of steel.  I assumed that other safes were also steel on the inside and was surprised to find out that not all of them are (even a $2000+ Liberty Lincoln).  Check it out and be certain.

2)  Another thing I was surprised to learn about the Amsec BF is that the bolts on the hinge side are fixed.  After thinking about it, I realize that this is probably and advantage more than a disadvantage.  Why?  Because (a) there's no way for the bolts to be pushed in if they're fixed in the open position and (b) because having less moving parts means less likely for a mechanical failure of the locking mechanism.  The bolts on the Amsec are also thicker at 1.5" vs 1.25" on the Browning you referenced.  The only thing that I think Amsec could have done better on was adding a bolt or two to the top and bottom of the door, which leads me to point #3.

3)  As noted, the door has a 1/2" steel plate on the front, followed by layers of fire insulation and additional steel.  This is one serious door for an RSC and you can feel it by it's weight.  Some have claimed that the BF doors are 'pry proof'.  I don't know about that but I'm guessing that they'll stand up very well.

All this said, the Browning safe looks to be good.  I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep having one of them protecting my stuff.  But given the (little) information I already know, I'd probably pick the Amsec BF, but you can call me biased because that's exactly what I already did.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the inupts guys.......I will update when I decide and post pics
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top