Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2009 5:49:42 AM EDT
Am looking at a Bio-Vault 2.0 fingerprint handgun safe. http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-94200354690059_2043_11746538
http://www.fslocks.com/biov2.html $320

I realize that this is not fireproof, is able to taken by hand by a burgler unless secured with the cable or wall mount, and probably can easily be broken into with a crowbar.

I am more concerned about access control, such as only my wife and I being able to access it, so our 2 year old can't. Yet retain fast and easy access in case I need it in the middle of the night. It'd be on the floor or nightstand next to the bed with a loaded handgun inside.

Has anyone dealt with these before? How easy can they be broken into? Does the fingerprint scanner work well, or is it fidgety?

Or can anyone recommend another fast and easy device that a young child can't get into. I am open to suggestions, but a full out gun safe, key, or dials are out of the question. Priority is denial of entry for curious kid who will try to find daddy's gun when he isn't looking, and second, easy of access for me. Yes, I am well aware that a 2 year old can't work the slide, but I'd rather err on the side of safety and deny all access.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
No exp, however, I hear from the pros they are not yet really reliable.  Wait a few years and they will be better.

The other downside is if someone wants in and are able, they'll cut off your finger.  That ain't gonna buff out friend, so why give an incentive.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#2]
There are reliable, durable, and excellent fingerprint scanners in use in high-security installations around the world. They can cost a couple grand or more.

That being said, most of the fingerprint scanners I've seen like the ones in the "GunVaults" are total shit. I have no experience with the unit you were asking about.

With a home gun safe, speed is key. There is generally no real "security" with any gunsafe anyway so I'd stick with key-based ones or button-based locks. The Gunvault button-based series are what I use for fast-access in my home.

Link Posted: 4/22/2009 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I just did the gunvault. I was advised Bio wasnt working right, and even the store said they didnt have one on display because.......they couldnt get it to work!!!

Regular GunVault, and make it deluxe. Alarm, light& A/C power plug. Full of win!!!!

Link Posted: 4/23/2009 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Just remember those GunVault's are great for 2-4(maybe 5?) yr olds but nothing for somebody once they learn to use a big screwdriver.

Cheap thin sheetmetal. It'd take an adult a few minutes to smash open.

So hide it and bolt it down!

Link Posted: 4/24/2009 12:53:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Looks like those Bio Vaults have been recalled:  Link

For ready-access weapons, I use a wall vault.  It's fast to access, fits between regular 16"-on-centers studs, and it's thin... you can easily hang a picture to cover it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out the LockSAF.......

http://www.locksaf.com

I met these guys at the SHOT Show.  Great company and they stand behind their product (unlike GunVault.)  One of the ten I ordered had a warped case and wouldn't latch properly.  The president emailed me back right away and had UPS at my house the next day to pick it up––three days later I had the replacement.

Link Posted: 4/27/2009 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Delorean - how satisfied are you with the LockSAF in terms of use and operation? I've read that the Bio-Vault has major problems with the fingerprint scanner.How does the LockSAF compare?
Link Posted: 4/27/2009 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There are reliable, durable, and excellent fingerprint scanners in use in high-security installations around the world. They can cost a couple grand or more.

That being said, most of the fingerprint scanners I've seen like the ones in the "GunVaults" are total shit. I have no experience with the unit you were asking about.

With a home gun safe, speed is key. There is generally no real "security" with any gunsafe anyway so I'd stick with key-based ones or button-based locks. The Gunvault button-based series are what I use for fast-access in my home.

Even the scanners in use in high-security installations have issues.  A good percentage of people have issues scanning specific fingers or some scanners are just picky.  Based on what I have experienced at these facilities, I would not get one for use at home because I can't even afford one of the semi-bad ones.

+1 for the ones on "Gun Vaults" being total sht.
Link Posted: 4/28/2009 5:43:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Delorean - how satisfied are you with the LockSAF in terms of use and operation? I've read that the Bio-Vault has major problems with the fingerprint scanner.How does the LockSAF compare?

It's great.  The programming is somewhat confusing, but after that, no problems.  BioMetrics need to pick up on so many "points", so if you get your finger on the reader the wrong way or you push it really hard, you may confuse the sensor.  I have three different biometric devices and each one of them open ~90% of the time on the first try.  Sometimes when I put my finger on the reader I know it's not going to open.  You need to practice so you land on the same spot everytime.

Even with one bad recognition, I still think it's quick that fumbling with a keypad––especially in the dark.

I've heard of problems with Bio-Vault, and even more with Gun-Vault (the one with the "hand" on it.)  LockSAF is a great product and their staff stands behind it 100%––that's why I bought it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Another option to any of the electronic lock gun vaults is the V-Line lock boxes with the Simplex push button mechanical lock.  The Simplex lock is user programmable and fairly fast to open but you do need to keep a flashlight handy to see the buttons.  While all mechanical and  electronic locks can fail,  this is what I trust for the bedroom and vehicle.   No problems in 5 years of daily use and much faster than looking for a key.
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 4:25:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even the scanners in use in high-security installations have issues.  A good percentage of people have issues scanning specific fingers or some scanners are just picky.  Based on what I have experienced at these facilities, I would not get one for use at home because I can't even afford one of the semi-bad ones.

+1 for the ones on "Gun Vaults" being total sht.

I don't have the fingerprint model "wall vault"... mine is the regular keypad wall vault (the one on the left in the picture I posted).  My wife has a skin condition that prevents her fingerprints from being read on biometric scanners, so we had to use the keypad model.

Mine works just fine... not one complaint.
Link Posted: 5/3/2009 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Just curious but what "skin condition" is that?

FWIW, in one very secure location where I work they have a high-end fingerprint scanner that includes a 10-digit keypad. It's part of a larger system of course but the scanner/keypad piece itself costs $4,500 to replace. From the logs during the course of a month it will mis-read about 3% of the time. During the winter it falses more at almost 5%.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 4:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just curious but what "skin condition" is that?

FWIW, in one very secure location where I work they have a high-end fingerprint scanner that includes a 10-digit keypad. It's part of a larger system of course but the scanner/keypad piece itself costs $4,500 to replace. From the logs during the course of a month it will mis-read about 3% of the time. During the winter it falses more at almost 5%.

Hand eczema
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top