Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Posted: 4/13/2022 11:16:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lordhuck]
Generation 3 MCX officially debuted by Silencer Shop and Sig Rep Patrick Hanley.   Said to weigh 1 pound less than Gen2 MCX.  Gen3 MCX will now take standard AR-15 triggers and will come in an 7.62x39 variant.

If I'm not mistaken this is the 1st time the Gen3 MCX has been officially named as such by a sig Rep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSBjUKVJUU&ab_channel=SilencerShop

Link Posted: 4/14/2022 1:56:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#1]

Patrick from SIG notes these points:

1) Narrower handguard with reinforcement points

2) Lighter platform by almost 1 pound

3) New "latch system" inside of the lower which allows use of standard AR triggers again

4) Latch allows the use of 7.62x39

Looks like they "shaved" and "rounded" the 6 o'clock part of the handguard and took some diameter out of that portion. Almost as if the bottom of the handguard will sit closer to the barrel. From the pictures, it looks as though these Gen 3 handguards will be backwards compatible based on the pivot point at the handguard link.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I, for one, welcome our new Gen 3 overlords, and will remind Sig, that as an MCX super fan, I could recruit individuals to work in their underground MIM mines.

Just kidding.

I am excited by what I see. I'll probably get one eventually. VERY interested in where the weight was removed. It looks like these are all SPEAR trickle down improvements. I noticed the firing pin latch in the SPEAR pics by narphenal. I am wondering if we're talking about a whole new BCG.

The new handguard looks great, just like a mini SPEAR. I also noticed that they're not scalloping they top rail anymore. I actually think that's a good choice.

I don't care about 762Commie at all.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 7:37:13 AM EDT
[#3]
An ambi bolt release/catch would've been nice
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ll just wait for the Gen 4…..
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:18:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:
View Quote

this....
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Been waiting for this.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JAG2955:
I, for one, welcome our new Gen 3 overlords, and will remind Sig, that as an MCX super fan, I could recruit individuals to work in their underground MIM mines.

Just kidding.

I am excited by what I see. I'll probably get one eventually. VERY interested in where the weight was removed. It looks like these are all SPEAR trickle down improvements. I noticed the firing pin latch in the SPEAR pics by narphenal. I am wondering if we're talking about a whole new BCG.

The new handguard looks great, just like a mini SPEAR. I also noticed that they're not scalloping they top rail anymore. I actually think that's a good choice.

I don't care about 762Commie at all.
View Quote

It almost looks as if the handguard is tapered and narrowing around the pic rail all the way to the muzzle... Wonder if they'll make/redesign one for a can to fit in it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 9:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: call_me_ski] [#8]
Originally Posted By doolz:

It almost looks as if the handguard is tapered and narrowing around the pic rail all the way to the muzzle... Wonder if they'll make/redesign one for a can to fit in it.
View Quote

One was shown in the video so I assume yes.

It is the first rifle visible on the table in the video and is shown 0:54-0:57
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 11:53:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#9]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

One was shown in the video so I assume yes.

It is the first rifle visible on the table in the video and is shown 0:54-0:57
View Quote

It looks like two different handguards. This one doesn't look to be tapered near the pivot pin...
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#10]

https://i.imgur.com/nKNKVHo.png

It looks like two different handguards. This one doesn't look to be tapered near the pivot pin...
View Quote

Well yes. You asked about a handguard that is designed to fit a suppressor underneath instead of the narrow one…
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:06:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

Well yes. You asked about a handguard that is designed to fit a suppressor underneath instead of the narrow one…
View Quote

I was more trying to point out that there appears to be a much more visible difference in the two now as opposed to the "Gen 2" Virtus SD versus standard.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely interested in the weight savings.  Biggest downside to the MCX platform I have run into.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:35:15 PM EDT
[#13]

I was more trying to point out that there appears to be a much more visible difference in the two now as opposed to the "Gen 2" Virtus SD versus standard.
View Quote

Lol.  We are clearly not effectively communicating.  Have a good day good sir.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Nice to see and I despise the 3' hand guard on the Virtus. Guessing another 6-9 months for this to hatch?
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 4:12:02 PM EDT
[#15]

https://i.imgur.com/nKNKVHo.png

View Quote

Can I also point out that there's no more TIE Interceptor wings on the gas regulator?
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 7:58:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: apocalypserisin] [#16]
Hard enough to get certain Virtus guns, going to be reeaaal fun trying to snag one of the gen 3s.

Wonder what configs will be available at release.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 1:56:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Also one of the gen3 ones pictured a few months ago looked to have a 10.5" barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 3:55:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dog_dad] [#18]
Wonder where they shaved off that weight?

Is the upper still extruded 6061? Thinking they could’ve shaved off weight from the upper if they went to a forged 7075 upper since the walls wouldn’t have to be as thick.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Anybody notice the SURG firing without an AR receiver adapter?

I wonder if the new gen 3 upper won't require an adapter.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:28:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ThatGuy01] [#20]
Notice the recoil spring retainer whatever poking out the top? I suspect that it still should have the rear adapter but can be used without in a pinch.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ThatGuy01:
Notice the recoil spring retainer whatever poking out the top? I suspect that it still should have the rear adapter but can be used without in a pinch.
View Quote

I don't know, it sort of looks like it's integrally captured to me.

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By ryder6908:

this....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ryder6908:
Originally Posted By Moto-M187:

this....

Same. I thought at the very least it have an ambi bolt release and at best the side charging feature from the SPEAR. I guess they learned nothing from that project.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 1:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JACW] [#23]

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 3:21:53 PM EDT
[#24]
No ambi bolt release is a real disappointment, even my MPXs have that. The rest sounds good. The Patrol was a real porker at 7.9lb, and if they got that down to ~7lb, it's a lot more competitive. If they offered a version with a pencil barrel and carbon fiber handguard that was even lighter (3gun version?), I'd be all in on that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Okay, that looks like a different piston/op-rod length. That would make me irritated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:44:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Okay, that looks like a different piston/op-rod length. That would make me irritated.
View All Quotes

Yeah, that was the first thing I noticed as well.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#27]
So when will the Gen 3 be available?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:24:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JACW] [#28]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JACW:
https://i.imgur.com/eGBu05D.jpg
View Quote

If I'm mistaken please let me know. But the top picture looks like no taper profile. Bottom looks like taper.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#31]
this is disappointing for me personally. I've spent my entire virtus ownership waiting for sig to fulfill the barrel backorders I had with them. Not expecting them to deliver anytime soon with new line of production for this Gen 3 rifle.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:19:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By wwen:
this is disappointing for me personally. I've spent my entire virtus ownership waiting for sig to fulfill the barrel backorders I had with them. Not expecting them to deliver anytime soon with new line of production for this Gen 3 rifle.
View Quote

I wonder if you could put a gen-3 barrel and BCG into a legacy or Virtus receiver. @coregon ?
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:

I wonder if you could put a gen-3 barrel and BCG into a legacy or Virtus receiver. @coregon ?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wwen:

Guys, I’m not going to do a lot of commenting here, as this isn’t released.

However, just know that there’s a lot of hand-wringing and doom’er speculation in here that just isn’t true.  There’s also a couple of posts with technical info that are just wrong.  

That said, I think everyone will be happy, when we do release.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By coregon:

However, just know that there’s a lot of hand-wringing and doom’er speculation in here that just isn’t true.  There’s also a couple of posts with technical info that are just wrong.  

View Quote

Thank you for posting this!

I was about to throw my MCX setups into the Black Sea!  Just Kidding.

I'm still hoping that the MCX Gen3 chambered in 6mm ARC will be selected to replace the M4 in 5.56mm some day.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Sniper3142:

I'm still hoping that the MCX Gen3 chambered in 6mm ARC will be selected to replace the M4 in 5.56mm some day.  
View Quote

Seconded.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:06:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JACW] [#36]

View Quote

@coregon are you referring to the images I posted? The images are from the latest Sig MCX Operator's Manual (P/N 2402117-01 REV 02) and a prior revision (P/N 2402117-01 REV 00) available here:

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 02)
https://www.sigsauer.com/media/sigsauer/resources/OPERATORS_MANUAL_SIGMCX_VIRTUS_ENGLISH_2402117-01_REV_02_LR.pdf

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 00)
https://www.sigsauer.com/pub/media/sigsauer/resources/OPERATORS-MANUAL-SIGMCX-VIRTUS-ENGLISH-2402117-01-REV-00-LR.pdf
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:19:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpyHawk] [#37]

@coregon are you referring to the images I posted? The images are from the latest Sig MCX Operator's Manual (P/N 2402117-01 REV 02) available here:

https://www.sigsauer.com/media/sigsauer/resources/OPERATORS_MANUAL_SIGMCX_VIRTUS_ENGLISH_2402117-01_REV_02_LR.pdf
View All Quotes

@coregon are you referring to the images I posted? The images are from the latest Sig MCX Operator's Manual (P/N 2402117-01 REV 02) available here:

Hah. Check out page 25.

And the stock is misaligned, most obviously seen on page 32.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#38]

@coregon are you referring to the images I posted? The images are from the latest Sig MCX Operator's Manual (P/N 2402117-01 REV 02) and a prior revision (P/N 2402117-01 REV 00) available here:

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 02)

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 00)
https://www.sigsauer.com/pub/media/sigsauer/resources/OPERATORS-MANUAL-SIGMCX-VIRTUS-ENGLISH-2402117-01-REV-00-LR.pdf
View All Quotes

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 02)

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 00)

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 4:59:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JACW] [#39]

Hah. Check out page 25.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JACW] [#40]

And the stock is misaligned, most obviously seen on page 32.
View Quote

In both the Silencer Shop Youtube video and the Operator's Manual the Gen 3 upper has new more rounded grooves for the collapsible stock, while the lower has the Legacy / Virtus more angular grooves which looks mismatched / misaligned and not at all to Sig Sauer standard. An updated lower with grooves to match the upper will surely accompany the Gen 3, hopefully with some additional features.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#41]
I own a legacy MCX upper and a virtus rifle.  I hope when sig rolls out this GEN 3 there is still parts commonality.  I was annoyed as hell when not long after the first release they change the upper, rail, and bcg (several times) to make them non compatible with previous generations.  I will wait until more information becomes available but i hope there arent too many changes.  I do like that they went lighter on the barrel profiles.  The virtus is a pig compared to the legacy MCX.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#42]

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 02)

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 00)
View All Quotes

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 02)

(P/N 2402117-01 REV 00)

Yeah, as soon as you posted the first pics, I knew where they came from.  I also sent you a DM several days ago (not sure if you received).

Those owners manuals are wrong.  That’s not your fault for posting the images, it’s ours for having the wrong information in them (and too early), but thats why I posted and told everyone not too get too wound up over the things posted in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 8:33:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JACW] [#43]

Yeah, as soon as you posted the first pics, I knew where they came from.  I also sent you a DM several days ago (not sure if you received).

Those owners manuals are wrong.  That’s not your fault for posting the images, it’s ours for having the wrong information in them (and too early), but thats why I posted and told everyone not too get too wound up over the things posted in this thread.
View Quote

@coregon Apologies. Did not check my DM. Had a look now and see you asked me days ago where I got the CAD drawings from.

To be sure you're saying all of it is incorrect although it matches with the little we can see from the Gen 3 in the Silencer Shop YouTube video? Virtus handguards aside of course. IOW the following picture is not what the Gen 3 upper / 9" handguard will look like?

Why was the Operator's Manual updated in so many different areas with incorrect / prototype CAD drawings?

Any possibility that the lower will be updated to match the new collapsible stock groove profile in the upper? If so perhaps with some improvements?
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:52:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Curious if the MCX Gen 3 upper will work on the current MCX lower.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
View Quote

I hope so! Their current lowers are pretty good. Hopefully information is released soon so we dont have to keep speculating.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Cops66:
View Quote

Works in die Silencer Shop YouTube video. :-)
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:21:38 AM EDT
[#47]
Curious if a gen3 version of the Rattler is expected as well
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By hbchew2323:
Curious if a gen3 version of the Rattler is expected as well
View Quote

There was a photo of what appeared to be a gen3 Rattler posted in one of the Facebook groups.

So.... Maybe?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Not sure if Sig is truly innovating their product line or executing clever obsolescence.  Kind like Apple slowing down older phones to force new sales.  

Or perhaps releasing designs that aren’t mature, nor well thought out forcing generational changes/redesigns.

Consider HK, sure not as many products nor changes, slow to embrace consumer/civilian market.  But Unlike  Sig, parts are still available for out of production guns.    

This comes from a guy with 2 Sig 556s, had MCX G1 and now owns Virtus G1.  I hope that “product improved” NexGen Virtus parts will be backwards compatible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 7:34:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By unrock:
Not sure if Sig is truly innovating their product line or executing clever obsolescence.  Kind like Apple slowing down older phones to force new sales.  

Or perhaps releasing designs that aren’t mature, nor well thought out forcing generational changes/redesigns.

Consider HK, sure not as many products nor changes, slow to embrace consumer/civilian market.  But Unlike  Sig, parts are still available for out of production guns.    

This comes from a guy with 2 Sig 556s, had MCX G1 and now owns Virtus G1.  I hope that “product improved” NexGen Virtus parts will be backwards compatible.
View Quote

I will accept the innovation Sig has brought to the table in the last 10 years over prioritizing old technology.  If you don’t want to have innovative items, just look at any other manufacturer.  

In reality the few thousand bucks for a new gun that will not be obsolete for a few years is not that big of a deal.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 42
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top