Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 2:12:41 PM EDT
I have a Sig P556, 10" bbl and in the process of Form 1. SBR

I want to shoot it suppressed but I hear the gas ports may be too large and may be over gased (in either setting).

So is there a remedy for that?

Is a remedy even necessary?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 556 SBR and shoot it suppressed all the time. I have never had an issue after thousands of rounds.  I shoot it on the original gas setting.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have a 556 SBR and shoot it suppressed all the time. I have never had an issue after thousands of rounds.  I shoot it on the original gas setting.
View Quote
Yep.

I do too. A suppressor setting would be nice, but ti isn't needed.

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:43:30 PM EDT
[#3]
OK cool, thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I asked a Sig engineer who I met at the Houston NRA show this same question.
He was one of the engineers who was on the development team of the Sig line of suppressors.

His response was to shoot a suppressed 556 on the normal setting. As you can't over gas the action.
Once the action piston rod leaves the cup all the extra gas is just vented into the handguard.

He also stated on the 516 platform, there is a setting for running a suppressor, as that system can be over gassed.
The increased bolt speed, if not regulated, will cause damage the the buffer system over time.

I can't enter my photo sharing account for some reason right now. When I do, I will post the picture on my 556 with a can on it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I asked a Sig engineer who I met at the Houston NRA show this same question.
He was one of the engineers who was on the development team of the Sig line of suppressors.

His response was to shoot a suppressed 556 on the normal setting. As you can't over gas the action.
Once the action piston rod leaves the cup all the extra gas is just vented into the handguard.

He also stated on the 516 platform, there is a setting for running a suppressor, as that system can be over gassed.
The increased bolt speed, if not regulated, will cause damage the the buffer system over time.

I can't enter my photo sharing account for some reason right now. When I do, I will post the picture on my 556 with a can on it.
View Quote

Haven't tried mine with a can yet but that is interesting. If that was the case why the suppressor setting on the xi?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:29:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Weird, when I tried mine suppressed, it was clearly over gassed.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:58:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I've always noticed that like an AK the 55X system was always running at what seemed to me to be over gassed. The ability to bleed out through the gas tube into the handguards is true as I've seen carbon building up inside my handguards right where the holes are.

Admittedly I have not cut down my patrol barrel yet but I did put my rifle can on it just to see how it fared and it didn't feel any more over gassed than it normally did, but it sure was loud. The way it's piston and action are designed it is a noisy thing to suppress.

As for the XI, if you were able to see that review thread in Firearms GD last week you could see that the piston and gas system on the XI are different than the 55X system... Possibly so different that it requires a suppressed setting to prevent damage to the action.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:17:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've always noticed that like an AK the 55X system was always running at what seemed to me to be over gassed. The ability to bleed out through the gas tube into the handguards is true as I've seen carbon building up inside my handguards right where the holes are.

Admittedly I have not cut down my patrol barrel yet but I did put my rifle can on it just to see how it fared and it didn't feel any more over gassed than it normally did, but it sure was loud. The way it's piston and action are designed it is a noisy thing to suppress.

As for the XI, if you were able to see that review thread in Firearms GD last week you could see that the piston and gas system on the XI are different than the 55X system... Possibly so different that it requires a suppressed setting to prevent damage to the action.
View Quote

I've had the same experience with my sbr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top