Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2013 11:28:29 AM EDT
At Atlantic

Just came across this; the SG553 being one of the weapons I've always been fascinated by. Has anyone read reviews on this pistol and how easy would it be to SBR? The only downside is it is wayyyy pricey.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 12:57:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe if you're made of money its worth considering.  Only drawback is you'd form 1 and engrave a 5k dollar gun.  I'd buy a factory sbr 551 as there are quite a few out for way less than that.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Where can you find an original Swiss folding stock for these? Will any 55x series stock fit the 553? Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 5:16:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Where can you find an original Swiss folding stock for these? Will any 55x series stock fit the 553? Thanks!

Of course. Check GB for stocks, and eBay.

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Maybe if you're made of money its worth considering.  Only drawback is you'd form 1 and engrave a 5k dollar gun.  I'd buy a factory sbr 551 as there are quite a few out for way less than that.

You would be hard pressed to find a factory Swiss 551 for less than $5k. The price on the 553 at AIM is high. You can buy directly from the importer, Armati, for less. These are AWESOME SBR candidates. Buy one, you will not regret it. Buy quality, cry once.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I've seen a few factory sbr 551's on gunbroker over the past few months and they have been starting to go up in price.  They had some that were buy now for $1900 if i recall correctly!  I still think it would be rough to have to engrave a $5k gun to sbr it, and since the upper is the reciever it's kind of hard to put in an inconspicuous place id think.  

Don't know a vast amount about all the models but the ones I'm referring are the new factory 551-a1's
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I've seen a few factory sbr 551's on gunbroker over the past few months and they have been starting to go up in price.  They had some that were buy now for $1900 if i recall correctly!  I still think it would be rough to have to engrave a $5k gun to sbr it, and since the upper is the reciever it's kind of hard to put in an inconspicuous place id think.  

Don't know a vast amount about all the models but the ones I'm referring are the new factory 551-a1's

The 551-A1 is not a Swiss-made rifle.  Real 551's go well over $5K
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Swiss made 551s those are not.
Link Posted: 3/5/2013 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I would say its a GREAT candidate for a SBR.  Just watch this video and start saving your pennies:
Larry Vickers with the SG553 pistol SBR conversion
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 6:55:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would say its a GREAT candidate for a SBR.  Just watch this video and start saving your pennies:
Larry Vickers with the SG553 pistol SBR conversion

Very nice. But woof, that's a lot of money....pointless for me to buy though, considering MI doesn't allow SBR's.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Reviving an old thread here..

So I am one of the folks that Larry Vickers reeled in.. no seriously, I bought one of the 553s from Armati a while back.  Just got my stock in from SIG USA who has had the swiss stocks on back order for a while.  I went to install it and guess what?  You know the answer.  It doesn't fit.  I'm boggled.

My understanding is the swiss made stocks that SIG USA sells, and equipped on the 551a1, were the same stocks used on the SG55x real swiss guns.  If that is so, why doesn't this puppy fit?  Talking to folks at SIG USA about this is painful.  Either the gun is out of spec or takes a different model stock, the stock is out of spec--not a real Swiss stock for SG55xs or I have a defect.

It is just slightly too big.  Before I hack up the nearly $200 stock, I wanted to see if anyone else has SBRd a 553 yet and tried to put on a stock.
Link Posted: 6/19/2013 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Reviving an old thread here..

So I am one of the folks that Larry Vickers reeled in.. no seriously, I bought one of the 553s from Armati a while back.  Just got my stock in from SIG USA who has had the swiss stocks on back order for a while.  I went to install it and guess what?  You know the answer.  It doesn't fit.  I'm boggled.

My understanding is the swiss made stocks that SIG USA sells, and equipped on the 551a1, were the same stocks used on the SG55x real swiss guns.  If that is so, why doesn't this puppy fit?  Talking to folks at SIG USA about this is painful.  Either the gun is out of spec or takes a different model stock, the stock is out of spec--not a real Swiss stock for SG55xs or I have a defect.

It is just slightly too big.  Before I hack up the nearly $200 stock, I wanted to see if anyone else has SBRd a 553 yet and tried to put on a stock.

I suspect it is your stock being out of spec. Sig Exeter has begun making clones of the standard Swiss stock. My guess is that the stock is out of spec. Only way to know is to try a Swiss stock and see if it fits.

Link Posted: 6/19/2013 8:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
So you are saying that Sig USA is now no longer bringing in real Swiss stocks, but instead making their own Swiss stocks and claiming they are Swiss.  Nice.  Any ideas on when this started?
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#13]

Look inside the forward portion of the stock. It should say who made it. If it is marked Wiedman then it is the real Swiss SIG stock.

Post pics of what markings are in your stock.

How exacly does it not fit? Hinge pin holes don't line up? pin goes in but stock won't lock into place? Too loose?

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 5:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Look inside the forward portion of the stock. It should say who made it. If it is marked Wiedman then it is the real Swiss SIG stock.

Post pics of what markings are in your stock.

How exacly does it not fit? Hinge pin holes don't line up? pin goes in but stock won't lock into place? Too loose?

Yep, pics would be best. From what I've heard and seen from photos (don't have one to personally compare), the new Exeter stocks are just slightly cosmetically different near the front of the comb. They have the molded in date mark. But won't be marked Weidman or Alleman Ag.

If the width of the hinge portion of the stock is too great and you are handy with a Dremel, you could very judiciously fit the stock to your lower. If the hole for the axis pin is off, it should just be returned to Sig for exchange.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Not to hijack but is this an authentic swiss stock?  I received this one late last year with a 551 lower
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk286/neversummer2186/ED082C9E-1625-4A1A-877B-42CA1F031A42-3855-000003B3320C137F.jpg
Not to hijack but is this an authentic swiss stock?  I received this one late last year with a 551 lower

yes, it is swiss....."alleman agch" signifies it was made by alleman in switzerland.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 12:34:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I have a 553 SBR.   It was expensive, but it is very compact, has a high CDI, and I dig it.  Factory Sig stock fit like a glove.

18B30
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 4:31:34 AM EDT
[#18]
http://allemann-ag.ch/ Contractor that makes plastic parts for SIG SAN

P.S. that looks more like a 551A1 lower than a 551. Calling a 551A1 a 551 is like calling a AR180B an AR180. They look similar and come from the same company but nowhere near the same quality and big difference in $$
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 10:48:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Hah yea it is a 551a1.  Been thinking about ditching the lower for a 556 and keeping the Swiss stock.  That one shipped to me late in December
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 4:45:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Any ideas on how to find an actual Swiss made stock outside of GB or Ebay? Did a search on those two sites and didn't find any.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 5:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Call SIG Sauer and see if they have any. They don't always advertise what they have. They are at least half the price there than some other sellers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:58:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had both US and Import Swiss stocks.  The US Swiss stock has a smooth hinge.  The Import stock has a notched hinge.  They are dimensionally identical.

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for your help. I called up Sig today, and ordered a Swiss Stock for $169. No tax or shipping. The agent said the US made stocks collapse and fold, while the Swiss made one will only fold. We'll see if it's the real deal or not!
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 12:35:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Good luck with your $169, that is what I have and it is definitely not working as a "real" Factory Swiss Stock, at least on my 553.  Talked to Exeter and they are swearing up and down that I have a real swiss stock, I call bullshit--as you'll see in these pictures (I've left them full size so you can zoom in for detail so click accordingly).  They want me to send in my 553 with stock.  Right.  I'm going to send the stock back and tell them to send me a real swiss stock.  For now, even though they claim they haven't switched over production to US made it appears they have and they do not match the same specs.

You'll see from the pictures my problem, I can't close the stock all the way.  They've put too much material near the hinge that is bumping against the back of the 553, or it is possible the pin holes could be lined up a little off but my money is on too much material.

Would someone else be so kind as to upload some pics of a genuine swiss stock, relatively new, so I can compare exactly?

pic1

pic2

pic3

pic4
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:29:15 PM EDT
[#25]
The Truth has been revealed.

Finally got the real scoop from SIG Exeter after going back and forth, sending them pictures, telling them they are clearly mistaken.

They did in fact stop importing real Swiss stocks as of the last batch they sold out of a few months ago.  They switched over to a new company to make them for them, and this was the first stock sent out from that new batch.  These guys did not make them properly in order to fit real swiss guns but they should fit american made 551a1 & 556s.  

They will no longer be importing real swiss stocks for a variety of reasons--partly due to the exchange rate and partly some other reason they would not divulge.
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
How are u guys removing the back plate on your sig 553 p? Got one with form 1 out and just wondering best way to remove blind pin.
Thx ...
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Great, looks like I'll have to call and see if I can cancel my order. This is why I don't buy US made Sig products. Their quality control is absolute shit.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 9:28:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Great, looks like I'll have to call and see if I can cancel my order. This is why I don't buy US made Sig products. Their quality control is absolute shit.

If these new stocks were made to specifically fit the 556 and 551A1 then how is this a quality control issue. Are they advertising them for the 550/1/2/3 ?
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep, said it would be 550 compatible. I called Sig this morning, and they said that the stock was imported from Switzerland and had the proper proof marks. My email order confirmation shows as STK-556-SWISS / SWISS STOCK ASSY, 556. Can't say I'm holding my breath.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
How are u guys removing the back plate on your sig 553 p? Got one with form 1 out and just wondering best way to remove blind pin.
Thx ...

I'm curious as this too as I plan on SBRing mine.
On a side note, it pissesme off that Sig cloned the swiss stock, failed, and also previously cloned the collapsible stock, and failed.
Freaking sigusa.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 12:57:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Yep, said it would be 550 compatible. I called Sig this morning, and they said that the stock was imported from Switzerland and had the proper proof marks. My email order confirmation shows as STK-556-SWISS / SWISS STOCK ASSY, 556. Can't say I'm holding my breath.

That is the same line of crap I kept getting over and over again, until finally with pictures in hand (technically email), they finally told me the truth.  I don't think the customer service ppl are lying intentionally, they just don't know and are being told by others that are confused as well.  Plus, apparently this literally *just* changed and I was the first one to get one of the new ones, hence the confusion.

Maybe they will back track and import some real ones and you'll get lucky.  Or maybe I was just a strange one-off.  You never know.  Unfortunately, the alternative is expensive.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#32]
I didn't know they were making thier own stocks until I checked mine. My 551-a1 stock is marked "alleman agch" as are the two replacements I have on my 522's. One I bought directly from the SIG USA when they offered the 551-a1 lowers and one off of Gunbroker.  However, my SIG 556R is not marked. I'm guessing as soon as they ran out of actual Swiss stocks they started producing them here.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 7:12:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thx ...

I'm curious as this too as I plan on SBRing mine.
On a side note, it pissesme off that Sig cloned the swiss stock, failed, and also previously cloned the collapsible stock, and failed.
Freaking sigusa.

Disappointment, followed by more disappointment, and yet more disappointment. Such has been my experience with the 556. Sig Exeter could write a book on how to F up production of a pre-existing rifle design. This most recent bait and switch on the stocks sadly does not surprise me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 12:15:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I received my US-made stock today. The sig rep looked up something on the computer, agreed that it was US made and confirmed that it won't fit the 550. At least I was emailed a pre-paid mailing label. I was told that they ran out of Swiss stocks 2 months ago, and my best bet would be to acquire one via third party.

Link Posted: 7/6/2013 6:13:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Figured pin removal out...think push ...super simple.....also Sigs domestic "Swiss" stock can be made to fit easily. Remove .010-.020" extra material from inside back of stock.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 11:18:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Does anybody import the SAN Swiss stocks besides Colorado Gun Sales? They are always out of stock AND expensive as hell.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:10:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You would be hard pressed to find a factory Swiss 551 for less than $5k. The price on the 553 at AIM is high. You can buy directly from the importer, Armati, for less. These are AWESOME SBR candidates. Buy one, you will not regret it. Buy quality, cry once.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link me to their website.  Do you have their phone #?

Armati-usa.com is an abortion of a site.
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 4:11:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Under the handguards on the barrel?
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 6:54:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry as pointed out earlier I use the term 551 pretty loosely as compared to 551-a1.  I'm referring to the factory us made 551-a1 sbr's and there were quite a few on gunbroker.  Even my local dealer just got one in stock.  Im not positive but dont believe you can engrave the barrel, has to be the reciever.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Does the 553 really have a 1-10 barrel?
Link Posted: 8/5/2013 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Does the 553 really have a 1-10 barrel?
View Quote

That is what people were told when buying the 553 from Armati/M+M.  Why do you ask in that way?  Do you have information to the contrary?
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 5:34:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Yep, they're orginial -1 barrels (Swiss 1 in 10, justlike a 550-1 or 551-1) The next batch is supposed to be -2 barrels (1 in 7) as the factory has responded to our ever demanding lust for all thigns milspec. Same reason why they come with flash hiders now.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#43]
When is the next batch supposed to come in?
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Those wanting San Swiss stocks: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=358683288

FYI...not my auction....these are very hard to find
Link Posted: 8/7/2013 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Those wanting San Swiss stocks: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=358683288

FYI...not my auction....these are very hard to find
View Quote

I just received mine from them. It is a genuine SAN Swiss Stock. Can't beat that price either.  My only disappointment is there is not a release button included, so there is no way to lock the stock in the extended position. Does anybody know if those little buttons can be purchased by themselves
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top